• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
Do you find fiction or nonfiction more difficult to read?

I have dyslexia among many things. And I find that realistic fiction or nonfiction I don’t have a less problems andmore complex fiction Or fantasy books.

Although fantasy is one of my favorite genres as well as realistic fiction .

I tried to get into the Harry Potter series. And the land of stories seriesect But understanding of these characters and everything was very difficult for me I do want to get back to it because it the worlds areso find the and interesting I really wanted to understand them because they seem so cool and you got me very hyped up and I love reading it.

"Jenisautistic, post: 595823, member: 13211"]Do you find fiction or nonfiction more difficult to read?

" Id say i have more trouble in fiction all together as i constantly manage to misread and loose focus or even understand sometimes "

I have dyslexia among many things. And I find that realistic fiction or nonfiction I don’t have a less problems andmore complex fiction Or fantasy books.

Although fantasy is one of my favorite genres as well as realistic fiction .

I tried to get into the Harry Potter series. And the land of stories seriesect But understanding of these characters and everything was very difficult for me I do want to get back to it because it the worlds areso find the and interesting I really wanted to understand them because they seem so cool and you got me very hyped up and I love reading it.

" Just keep on reading dear and if you sometimes dont understand or loosing track or whatever thats OK. JUST go back and re read it and try to understand what they are talking about dear thats what i do when my Dyslexia starts to mess with me (and for the record i LOVE Harry potter but il be darn if i understand half of that world and im referring to the films ,I cant even imagine trying to read that and get it (scathing head ) "

I understood fiction until I was maybe 8-10 years old and actually enjoyed books like Ramona Quimby. When I got older my mind didn't process fiction anymore. I failed at literature or any kind of creative writing. I even have a hard time following most movies unless I can seriously relate to them as if it was myself.

I do like just about any kind of nonfiction, and I have tons of books about cars, houses, astronomy, math, things like that.

But even with nonfiction, my mind drifts and I have a hard time reading. What happens is I'll keep reading, but my mind will start thinking about something else and I won't remember what I read, just what I was thinking about. So when I realize it, I have to go back sometimes a few pages until the last thing I remember. Similar to falling into autopilot when driving, which would happen on long drives back from downstate. I'd operate the car and navigate the highway just fine, but not remember a thing about the last 10 miles or more.

I find fiction just about impossible for me to get into. I am so left brain dominant to the point where I only find non-fiction interesting. Every time I try to read fiction, I keep reminding myself that the story didn't actually happen and I consequently lose interest. I love fictional movies though because I like to watch actors act. Fictional reading on the other hand is something entirely different for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom