• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For those of you with children who are on the more severe side of the spectrum\have sensory issues:

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
Hey everyone, this is specifically for parents of children with more severe autism or sensory issues.

So my son has a really bad sty in his eye. We tried so hard to put eyedrops in his eyes while he was awake and it was traumatic for all of us, but especially him. I had to use most of my strength to hold him down to do it, and he screamed and cried, it was heartbreaking and he's also extremely strong.

Anyways, it dawned on me this morning to try to put in the drops as he was asleep. We did it tonight and it worked like a charm, he didn't even notice it. So the next time that you have to do something like that with your child, I recommend doing it while they are asleep. It's so much less traumatic for everyone.

I hope this helps even just one parent who has issues of a similar variety. It can really help.

☮️ Major Tom

Lots of stuff was done for me while I was asleep or close to it, like brushing my teeth and clipping my nails.

Lots of stuff was done for me while I was asleep or close to it, like brushing my teeth and clipping my nails.
Ezra, can I ask you questions about things that your parents did if I run into problems? You seem to be very insightful and helpful. Also, perhaps a bit like my boy is. Sometimes I run into situations I have absolutely no idea what to do, and it seems like your parents did an excellent job raising you. I search a lot online etc and usually I can't find anything that helps.
For example: if you didn't speak when you were younger, how did you and your parents work out a way for you to be able to start speaking? PECs? Or sign language? There are no speech therapists in my area, and I'm worried that because of it, my boy may never speak. I'm ok with it either way, but I think it would be a very useful thing for him to be able to speak even just a few words. His mother and I can usually understand what he wants, but other people do not.
Also, how did you communicate if you were in pain or if something was bothering you? Recently my son has started squinting and crying at what seems like random times. And it's really concerning. We've taken him to doctors, talked to his teachers and other people that interact with him, but nobody can pinpoint what is going on.
Another thing is, if you had problems sitting for tests, MRIs etc, how did you manage to do them? For my son, I think the only way we could get him to take an MRI would be to put him under general anesthesia and I really don't want to do that.
Your responses are always appreciated and I learn a lot from them. You don't have to answer them all at once, just when you have the time. Thanks so much!

For example: if you didn't speak when you were younger, how did you and your parents work out a way for you to be able to start speaking? PECs? Or sign language? There are no speech therapists in my area, and I'm worried that because of it, my boy may never speak.
(If I may chime in...)
IIRC, you are an American or Brit living in Japan?
Are you attached to a military or other English-speaking organization?
What is your son's current school situation?
Do you have medical insurance?
Do you have English-speaking medical services available to your family?

Ezra, can I ask you questions about things that your parents did if I run into problems? You seem to be very insightful and helpful. Also, perhaps a bit like my boy is. Sometimes I run into situations I have absolutely no idea what to do, and it seems like your parents did an excellent job raising you. I search a lot online etc and usually I can't find anything that helps.
For example: if you didn't speak when you were younger, how did you and your parents work out a way for you to be able to start speaking? PECs? Or sign language? There are no speech therapists in my area, and I'm worried that because of it, my boy may never speak. I'm ok with it either way, but I think it would be a very useful thing for him to be able to speak even just a few words. His mother and I can usually understand what he wants, but other people do not.
Also, how did you communicate if you were in pain or if something was bothering you? Recently my son has started squinting and crying at what seems like random times. And it's really concerning. We've taken him to doctors, talked to his teachers and other people that interact with him, but nobody can pinpoint what is going on.
Another thing is, if you had problems sitting for tests, MRIs etc, how did you manage to do them? For my son, I think the only way we could get him to take an MRI would be to put him under general anesthesia and I really don't want to do that.
Your responses are always appreciated and I learn a lot from them. You don't have to answer them all at once, just when you have the time. Thanks so much!

Actually I just started talking on my own. It was mainly a developmental thing. My brain finally made the connection. Not all the way to where I am articulate, but enough. I get by pretty well by texting. And just making gestures. I got the idea for that from watching a movie about a boy who lost his ability to talk
Also I have a cousin who is my age I was raised with. When we were little he did a lot of interpreting for me. PECs was also used though at school and home.

They sedated me for MRIs etc. Like when sedated before getting surgery. Awake but extremely calm. Same with dentist visits. Sometimes a "papoose board" is used on autistic patients. But they did not have to go that far with me. And I figure you would not want that used.

Last edited:
Actually I just started talking on my own. It was mainly a developmental thing. My brain finally made the connection. Not all the way to where I am articulate, but enough. I get by pretty well by texting. And just making gestures. I got the idea for that from watching a movie about a boy who lost his ability to talk
Also I have a cousin who is my age I was raised with. When we were little he did a lot of interpreting for me. PECs was also used though at school and home.

They sedated me for MRIs etc. Like when sedated before getting surgery. Awake but extremely calm. Same with dentist visits. Sometimes a "papoose board" is used on autistic patients. But they did not have to go that far with me. And I figure you would not want that used.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. I'll have to look into the sedation option, because I'm a bit worried about his squinting and crying. Maybe it's an issue with his brain.

I'm really glad you can speak now and also that you can write, also that you had a good cousin to help you when you were little. I hope I can help my son in a similar fashion.

Sounds like he is having sensory issues. I have photophobia (sensitivity to light) my room has blackout curtains and is only lit by a 25 watt ceiling bulb.

Your son is in good hands.

Sounds like he is having sensory issues. I have photophobia (sensitivity to light) my room has blackout curtains and is only lit by a 25 watt ceiling bulb.

Your son is in good hands.

I was kind of thinking it could be a light sensitivity issue too. I'll try and darken things up for him and also see if he will wear some sunglasses when he's outside.

Thanks again for your input and also the compliment. :)

I was kind of thinking it could be a light sensitivity issue too. I'll try and darken things up for him and also see if he will wear some sunglasses when he's outside.

Hopefully he will take to them. I suggest lightweight plastic ones with colorful ear pieces. Maybe wear a similar pair yourself and act like you really like wearing them.

If he is taking any drugs, the squinting could be a side effect. My nephew was so overloaded on psychotropic drugs that he had blurred vision, icy cold hands, and frequent meltdowns. Once his mother got him off the drugs, those things resolved.

New Threads

Top Bottom