• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For some reason this scares me....

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
Has anyone heard of these guys? Neuralink - Wikipedia

I find the concept really scary. Sure I can see the benefits, but this seems like something out of a sci-fi movie.

In case you don't want to click an external link here's the gist:

Since its founding, the company has hired several high-profile neuroscientists from various universities. By July 2019, it had received $158 million in funding (of which $100 million was from Musk) and was employing a staff of 90 employees.At that time, Neuralink announced that it was working on a "sewing machine-like" device capable of implanting very thin (4 to 6 μm in width threads into the brain, demonstrated a system that read information from a lab rat via 1,500 electrodes and anticipated to start experiments with humans in 2020.

Company overview:

Neuralink was founded in 2016 by Elon Musk, Ben Rapoport, Dongjin Seo, Max Hodak, Paul Merolla, Philip Sabes, Tim Gardner, Tim Hanson, and Vanessa Tolosa.

In April 2017, a blog called Wait But Why reported that the company aims to make devices to treat serious brain diseases in the short-term, with the eventual goal of human enhancement sometimes called transhumanism.Musk said he got partly interested in the idea from a science fiction concept called "neural lace" that is part of the fictional world in The Culture, a series of 10 novels by Ian M. Banks.

Musk defined the neural lace as a "digital layer above the cortex" that would not necessarily imply extensive surgical insertion but ideally an implant through a vein or artery. Musk explained that the long-term goal is to achieve "symbiosis with artificial intelligence", which Musk perceives as an existential threat to humanity if it goes unchecked. At the present time, some neuroprothstetics can interpret brain signals and allow disabled people to control their prosthetic arms and legs. Musk aims to link that technology with implants that, instead of actuating movement, can interface at broadband speed with other types of external software and gadgets.

As of 2018, Neuralink was headquartered in San Francisco's Mission district, sharing an office building with OpenAI, another company co-founded by Musk. Musk was the majority owner of Neuralink as of September 2018, but did not hold an executive position. The role of CEO Jared Birchall, who has also been listed as CFO and president of Neuralink, and as executive of various other companies Musk founded or co-founded, has been described as formal.The trademark "Neuralink" was purchased from its previous owners in January 2017.

Electrodes

By 2018, the company had "remained highly secretive about its work since its launch", although public records showed that it had sought to open an animal testing facility in San Francisco; it subsequently started to carry out research at the University of California, Davis.

In July 2019, Neuralink held a live-streamed presentation at the California Academy of Sciences. The proposed future technology involves a module placed outside the head that wirelessly receives information from thin flexible electrode threads embedded in the brain. The system could include "as many as 3,072 electrodes per array distributed across 96 threads" each 4 to 6 μm in width. The threads would be embedded by a robotic apparatus that would avoid damaging blood vessels.

One engineering challenge is that the brain's chemical environment can cause many plastics to gradually deteriorate. Another challenge to chronic electrode implants is the inflammatory reaction to brain implants. Transmission of chemical messengers via neurons is impeded by a barrier-forming glial scar that occurs within weeks after insertion followed by progressive neurodegeneration, attenuating signal sensitivity. Furthermore, the thin electrodes which Neuralink uses, are more likely to break than thicker electrodes, and currently cannot be removed when broken or when rendered useless after glial scar forming. Meanwhile, the electrodes are still too big to record the firing of individual neurons, so they can record only the firing of a group of neurons. This issue might get mitigated algorithmically, but this is computationally expensive and does not produce exact results.

Last edited:
Many great inventions have come from science fiction. I do not think this is one of them.

I am not a religious man, but can you say "Mark of the beast?"

In 100 years everyone will probably have them and Google will be controlling humanity even further.. :p

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable with what this could lead up to either.

However, as our poster child for brain related injuries, I will share with you my experience with an intracranial shunt that vastly improved my TBI recovery.
Without this modern miracle of medicine, I would have possibly ended up a lot worse than I did.

It was placed in my body to maintain the fluid pressure balance between my right and left ventricles.
Cerebral shunt - Wikipedia

Mine is called a Ventriculo-peritoneal shunt (VP shunt)

It is externally adjustable to alter it's flow rate with the proper equipment. It took several tries for my surgeon to hit the best setting. There is silicone tubing that you can both feel and in some places see that runs from the upper portion of my skull, down my neck and into my abdomen about 4 inches above my beltline.
Almost a month after it was installed, I had to go back in for an additional surgery to have an anti-siphon valve inserted below my collar bone.
My standing from a seated position was causing an imbalance that threw off my equilibrium. It was added after I began to learn to walk again. It makes wearing a shoulder harness as a passenger in the right seat of a vehicle a little uncomfortable, so I improvise and wear the harness under my arm.

Having posted all of that, I am sure that when this item was introduced though, it was as a necessity and not as a scary sounding experiment.

Last edited:
I see that if resources become limited like water and food, it is a way to control the masses without violence. I just remember the LA riots.

Thank goodness I'll be dead before it hits the shops :)

I'll end up a Stepford Wife via WiFi

Mr G could programme everything through his phone on his way home from work.

Heating on.
Start washing machine cycle.
House alarm deactivated.
Gracey on mute and cooking dinner :)

Thank goodness I'll be dead before it hits the shops :)

I'll end up a Stepford Wife via WiFi

Mr G could programme everything through his phone on his way home from work.

Heating on.
Start washing machine cycle.
House alarm deactivated.
Gracey on mute and cooking dinner :)

Mrs. Ken (A.K.A. Janet) already has a similar system but her program commands always starts with "Honey, could you come here?"

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable with what this could lead up to either.

However, as our poster child for brain related injuries, I will share with you my experience with an intracranial shunt that vastly improved my TBI recovery.
Without this modern miracle of medicine, I would have possibly ended up a lot worse than I did.

It was placed in my body to maintain the fluid pressure balance between my right and left ventricles.
Cerebral shunt - Wikipedia

Mine is called a Ventriculo-peritoneal shunt (VP shunt)

It is externally adjustable to alter it's flow rate with the proper equipment. It took several tries for my surgeon to hit the best setting. There is silicone tubing that you can both feel and in some places see that runs from the upper portion of my skull, down my neck and into my abdomen about 4 inches above my beltline.
Almost a month after it was installed, I had to go back in for an additional surgery to have an anti-siphon valve inserted below my collar bone.
My standing from a seated position was causing an imbalance that threw off my equilibrium. It was added after I began to learn to walk again. It makes wearing a shoulder harness as a passenger in the right seat of a vehicle a little uncomfortable, so I improvise and wear the harness under my arm.

Having posted all of that, I am sure that when this item was introduced though, it was as a necessity and not as a scary sounding experiment.

Thank goodness for medical technology! That sounds like quite an intricate device and it would have been seen as magic or something 100 years ago. Imagine what will be like in the future.

Glad that technology was available and glad you are still around and functioning.

Musk. The same "guy" who has just put 120 networking satellites into orbit? Matrix indeed. Facebooks android Zuckerberg must be preparing for war.

Meanwhile, Microsoft & Google are anonymously supporting one or the other whilst working on secretive background interfacing...beep..beep..beep..ping..boom.

Next step will be giving humans implants for credit cards & social security. Like microchipping pets.

Last edited:
For it to be mark if the beast you'd need installation options for your hands. I wouldn't rush to conclusions yet. I wouldn't be the first to sign up, but it's suppose to help with PTSD, hope things are well!

I agree.
Think of who this will help and why.
The elite rulers could make a world of I-Robots.

New Threads

Top Bottom