• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For Some Reason, I REALLY want to Do Math. Like, lots and lots of math.

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
This is like the 8th new obsession I've had as of late.

While I struggle to find out what the almighty heck is going on with me at the moment, I have been developing a strange new, VERY strong interest in mathematics of every kind.

My mother got me some new notebooks and I designated them to be solely for doing math in, and somehow I discovered that I'm actually REALLY good at math, despite me having so much trouble with it in school.

That's what scared me.

When I went to school, math was to me like the Joker was to Batman; it was always coming up with new ways to trip me up, sneak by me, leave me hanging, trap me and do all manner of conniving things while I struggled and fought my way through charter school. I was always finding myself stumped or stuck on a question or problem, writing extra numbers and problems that weren't necessary, adding wrong, multiplying wrong, and sometimes I would be in situations where I had the right number but the wrong operator, or the wrong number in the right place. Jeez, am I going to school or am I playing Mastermind with Mr. Babbage?!

But only last night, in the dusty, sleepy hour of 3 AM, my brain and my eyes operating at full focus in the lightning-fast thinking power granted by my trusty Adderall dosage (don't worry, I only took one, it's a higher dose than when I was 13, my doctor is hoping a stronger dose will reduce anxiety) did I realize just how fascinating the world of munching numbers is! It's just so.... how do I describe it.... expansive? There are just infinite ways numbers can go together, they can be applied to LITERALLY ANYTHING, and it will always have SOME kind of meaning! So many ways to manipulate them, get answers to things you can't ask Google or Siri or Alexa for...

How did I not realize how COOL math is?! (see what I did there? :p )

Mathmeticians have quite a few videos on YouTube. They provide problems and then explain how to arrive at the correct answer. I like to work on the problems then watch the answer. It is a great way to stretch your skills if you want to relearn or just practice what you know.

Good for you. It sounds as if things are falling into place for you.

I am a bit curious about your newfound enthusiasm, if you care to answer. How are you at trigonometry along with plain and solid geometry. I got by in those but never truly applied myself to actually excel. Of course this led to problems when I got into calculus, especially integral calculus. I squeaked by in differential, but integral required a fair bit of practice as well as memorization of certain concepts and forms. I was too lazy to apply myself to that level and I really did not see the need for complete understanding of the discipline.

As it turned out, I really did not need integral calculus at all. I mean it was interesting for some of its uses but it was not needed in the field I settled on to find employment.

If you are working at that level and finding it cool, then kudos to you. Math can be a great deal of fun at times but I always found patterns in numbers much more interesting and amusing, especially in their coincidence over time. Like how often my birthday falls on the same day of the week I was born on (it was a Monday).

Enough though, have fun in your future pursuit of numbers and number theory.

Curious any one else here following the debate on THE ABC conjecture and whether it was resolved. great fun even if you do not understand the math, don't worry no one else does either. great debate some of the worlds greatest math minds fighting with words and math.

For Some Reason, I REALLY want to Do Math. Like, lots and lots of math.
That figures...
full

Mathmeticians have quite a few videos on YouTube. They provide problems and then explain how to arrive at the correct answer. I like to work on the problems then watch the answer. It is a great way to stretch your skills if you want to relearn or just practice what you know.

Sounds fun... :fearscream:

When I went to school, math was to me like the Joker was to Batman; it was always coming up with new ways to trip me up, sneak by me, leave me hanging, trap me and do all manner of conniving things while I struggled and fought my way through charter school.

I was in school before calculators and I have significant disgraphia so math was all about holding those numbers in my head and getting yelled at for not writing down my work.

In 7th-grade I got an A on a test. I was dragged down to the principal's office where he and two other men accused me of cheating. I showed them how I "cheated". Even the math teacher said he'd never seen that approach. I made sure I never made a good grade and no one ever followed up to see if maybe I wasn't a genius after all. My high school math teacher told me flat out he does not teach girls. I read a GRE prep math book and did better on that test than LA, my usual strength.

I ended up with a MS without ever taking a math course. But I think I coulda been a contender...

Great that you didn't have to fight your way through the 68.2% to enjoy math, @UberScout. Keep up the good work!!

I was poor at maths, but later in life I found Statistics when I was studying Statistical Process Control. I found that I understood the expression of uncertainty and had a facility with applied statistics and Statistical Design of Experiments. I did process validation and optimization with this, and was in my element.

I majored in Math at the university I went to not because I liked it, but because I was good at it and in order to get my degree without having as many group class activities or speeches. So, of the 42 college/university classes I took, I took 22 courses in Math and Statistics, over the 6 years it took me to finish as I kept quitting group activity and oral presentation classes, then signed up for others that did not require that. I likely would have majored in Music Theory, English, or Psychology had I known what I do now, and after gaining confidence and experience there. Those subjects and activities were always my passion, with regards to playing instruments, song writing, singing, writing, and human behaviors.

Oh boy! Wish that would become one of my obsessions lol

My first taste of math, was when I was about 8 or so and was so ill with my first migrain that ever after, math caused hyperventing. I would sit there, in class, anxiety sweeping through me and got pretty good at counting with my fingers and when the teacher said that it was not allowed: global. I hid my hands under the table and was able to still count. So, if one thinks about it, I was pretty clever lol

When I was being tested for ASD, it was clearly noted that I panicked when math test came about. But, strangely enough, I am good at accounting - with my trusty calculatar.

I am currently obsessed with getting up at 5:30am. Korean dramas and preaching ie one of Jehovah's witnesses and even concuring the horrible telephone and am learning how to have conversations on the phone.

That sounds just like me with maths. All through school I struggled with maths, algebra in particular. I never managed to get more than a C in tests, but in the final O level exam, to my amazement, I got a B :)

Khan Academy is a really good site to practise maths.

Last edited:
I like math but sometimes math ditches me as a friend. My step poop dad felt that if you weren't a civil engineer you were an idiot. But l will sit down and work problems for some time. Obsessive about doing them the way UberScout explains it.

Great jobs to be had crunching numbers. You go for this☺

any body else watch the Great Courses, one I found very interesting for the math phob's . It's called "THE Power OF Mathmatical Visualization". This guy really thinks outside the box when it comes to math. I wish I had been taught math this way in the lower grades.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom