• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Football related violence

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

According to a report on the BBC local Radio station, there has been violence between fans at the Sheffield United away game at Middlesborough yesterday afternoon.

Why do these people do it? Did the Hillsborough Disaster 28 years ago not teach them anything? I remember that day like it happened yesterday, I was on the Bus to Town with my late Grandmother and saw all the Police cars, Ambulances and Fire Engines speeding towards the Hillsborough area and wondered what was going on! Then it was on Look Leeds that night what had happened, one of THE worst tragedies in the history of British football, 96 dead!

My point is, Football violence, it's not just endemic to the UK, it's an American thing as well apparently, although what we call Football, you call Soccer, and the so called "fans" who get drunk and cause problems should be rounded up and thrown in Jail IMO, and banned from every Football ground on the Planet for LIFE!

I've been saying for years that the problem would be a lot less, if they closed the Pubs before, during and after the games, but of course people would complain about that so it won't happen, they should also ban the sale of Alcohol from Supermarkets on Match days IMO but that won't happen either, because of complaints from "normal" people who don't attend Football matches.

Thoughts?!

It's a problem everywhere. Banning alcohol isn't going to solve anything either, supporters actually plan fights with other groups occasionally. I don't see a way to solve the problem, honestly. To some people being a hooligan is part of their identity, they're not going to give that up.

I also think it has to do with the scale of economics as well. Considering how much people are willing to pay for a ticket to go to these games. I think that allowing alcohol and hiring extra security make it worth the return on the investment.

Its going to happen no matter what. People try and pretend we are these evolved beings, but yet we still build stadiums to go and see the modern day Gladiators. If people want to put themselves into those situations it was a choice, as it was a choice for people to get drunk and get violent.

As long as there is human competition there will be violence at some level... Its life, but tragic when people abuse and hurt others.

I brave a San Diego Padres game every now and then, but luckily I have never seen any violence.
Most the time its just baseball and good fans.

Good question, Rich. Though I find it difficult to isolate to any one particular factor. Only that some people for whatever reason are prone to acts of violence over competitive events and that for many of such people that alcohol indeed exacerbates such behavior.

For me, life is simply too short to be violent over losing- or winning any game.

I think it is the most insane reaction. All it is is a blasted ball being kicked and hopefully into a goal post, but seriously people make it into a religion.

As it goes I have a deep hatred for most sports; find them terribly boring.

Soccer - I frequently insult my TV with a glass of bourbon in my hand, that way nobody gets hurt. Fortunately the TV does not argue back so it survives for another day.

Good question, Rich. Though I find it difficult to isolate to any one particular factor. Only that some people for whatever reason are prone to acts of violence over competitive events and that for many of such people that alcohol indeed exacerbates such behavior.

For me, life is simply too short to be violent over losing- or winning any game.

I've watched pro wrestling for over 30 years, including "proper" wrestling as showcased by such greats as the late Giant Haystacks, Mick McManus, Big Daddy etc, and aside from a few very isolated incidents, there's no trouble at shows, the biggest problem is idiots who do wrestling moves on their little Brothers and end up seriously hurting them or worse, despite WWE constantly telling fans "DON'T try this at Home, school or ANYWHERE!", I know if I wasn't disabled I'd consider wrestling training, even though I'm small for my age at 5'5".

Last edited:
I was quite surprised to see the news about the violence, mostly because I was expecting Middlesbrough's opponent to be Hull or Sunderland. There's no helping some yobs, booze-fueled or not. They should be made to go sit in the home section at the New Den in the away colours.

Come to Canada. We only riot over ice hockey. :D

The long and short of it is that people are idiots.

I don't understand anyone's fascination with football, nor do I understand anyone's fascination with getting rat-arsed (been there, done that, much happier having not drank alcohol in over six years) so unsurprisingly I don't understand anyone's fascination with combining the two pastimes and beating seven shades of s**t out of each other.

I was quite surprised to see the news about the violence, mostly because I was expecting Middlesbrough's opponent to be Hull or Sunderland. There's no helping some yobs, booze-fueled or not. They should be made to go sit in the home section at the New Den in the away colours.

Come to Canada. We only riot over ice hockey. :D

And Canadian wrestling fans still cry about (or is that aboot? :p ) Bret Hart getting screwed out of the WWF Championship at the 1997 Survivor Series, even though it was nearly 20 years ago.

And Canadian wrestling fans still cry about (or is that aboot? :p ) Bret Hart getting screwed out of the WWF Championship at the 1997 Survivor Series, even though it was nearly 20 years ago.

People still care about wrestling in the PG era?

Oh, I forgot that one time that a bunch of Canadians cared about soccer. (Literally, "that one time".) Toronto's Danforth neighbourhood went nuts when Greece won Euro 2004. I was in North York at the time and could actually hear it in my hotel room.

New Threads

Top Bottom