• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food preferences...

BobbyTheEmperor

Is it common not to have energy to really cook so one wind up doing the same dishes all the time (I like most foods and eat most things, I just don't have the energy to do it myself)?
Or to simply like certain foods so much that other things seem uninteresting to cook because well, yeah, for me cooking takes much energy so I want to spend the energy on food I really like (I like plant based things and to add vegetables in the food so I don't have to bother putting greens on the side, so much easier if it is in the food already for me...).

Or is it common to get "periods" where only one particular food is interesting? Like last summer I ate oven roasted potatoes with vegetables and tofu, every day for 3 months.
I have had times when I've only wanted avocados, now I only want to eat macaroni (shape of pasta is important, I don't like all shapes) with veggie meatballs in a tomato sauce with mushrooms, garlic and onions. I try to vary it by eating rice with beluga lentils and vegetables the other days but it's tricky because I'm stuck with this meatball sauce kind of thing.

I try to have some variation, like having a smoothie every day so I get fruit and vegetables in the system but can food be a tricky thing?

Or can the shape or size of food matter, even if the taste is similar or the same (for me I like cherry tomatoes but not large ones, because I like the smaller size. And I only like certain shapes of pasta.)

And is anyone in here good at making thai or Indonesian food? I am starting to get into a thai food mood so I would like to learn a recipe or two. :)

roast veg are super easy, it's one of my regular meals cos all you have to do is peel the veg and chuck some oil in.

I add stuff to instant noodles (the spicy asian ones, mi goreng) like cooked beef mince or cooked chicken and baby spinach or salad greens, the greens just cook in the heat of the noodles, so you don't need to cook them separately. You could try that as a starter into asian-ish food.

I have a number of things I cook regularly and just rotate thru them for variety, it's pretty normal. You're meals sound ok to me.

roast veg are super easy, it's one of my regular meals cos all you have to do is peel the veg and chuck some oil in.

I add stuff to instant noodles (the spicy asian ones, mi goreng) like cooked beef mince or cooked chicken and baby spinach or salad greens, the greens just cook in the heat of the noodles, so you don't need to cook them separately. You could try that as a starter into asian-ish food.

I have a number of things I cook regularly and just rotate thru them for variety, it's pretty normal. You're meals sound ok to me.

Thanks for the recipe suggestions :)

Sounds like you have a pretty good diet Bobby. Think many people tend toward preparing food that they like to eat, and it seems as if what you like is varied enough to keep you healthy. Personally I eat the same breakfast each day that I have since I was pretty young.
Tend toward eating what I like, along with lots of vegetables and fruit.

I do something similar too.

I make a sandwich of good quality peanut butter on wholemeal bread, sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, then a layer of fresh dates and a banana sliced, healthy and filling, and have eaten the same thing for breakfast for over a year.

Having just moved to a largely Indian area, I make curry from scratch using locally bought ingredients, and have it with rice or a locally made nan, every day. I eat plenty of fresh fruit too.

I don't know why I don't get bored with it. I enjoy it, and I make it myself, and it provides 4 meals before I make another one. It means I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat. Don't have to look for other things and spend too much time in shops. Don't have to feel tempted into takeaway which is expensive and mostly disappointing. It's good nutritious food that is tasty. I think it needs to be nutritious and tasty, but especially tasty. Keeps me wanting more.

I get caught up on very specific foods for periods of time. I usually mainly eat that one thing or slight variations of it, and then once I get caught up on another food I do the same thing.

Awhile ago it was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and now it's baked potatoes. The things I get caught up on don't normally have a lot of ingredients and thus aren't very nutritious... Oops. lol

I don't like foods that are too mushy or bland. I like my food to have good seasonings, be fresh, and a little chunky or crunchy.

Oh yeah, and chocolate...... If it's chocolate.... Give it to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom