• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

first thread (post?)

cadiewoah

so im not quite sure how this works because ive never used a forum before.
im yet to be officially diagnosed but im starting the process in less than a week with my first appointment.

but i joined to ask for advice, and please let me know if i need to fix something about my post to abide by the guidelines, though i did read them beforehand.

this is probably really silly but, im going on a first date with this boy i really like soon, and im panicking because i dont know how to act on a date? its just like everybody knows how to be a human and i am lost. my friends describe me as awkward around people i dont know, and honestly i dont know him too well, but i want him to like me and get to know me for who i am so i can know more about him.

im just hoping somebody can give me some advice - maybe some conversation starters? im really nervous and dont want to mess this up!! also sorry if anythings phrased weird im awful at phrasing.

welcome to af.png

Hi and welcome. Stick around and look through old threads. What you say is very common here. I think nearly every person here has said just about the same thing using different word. Just about everyone here has problems with social interaction. You are not alone and we all try to support each other here.

Hello! Welcome to the forum. I hope you have a great time and are able to make new experiences while you are here.

welcome!

my only experience being on dates were ones i didn't know were dates (she never said she was asking me out, we just meet up for drinks, and later she told me that they were dates)

if you're looking for "what do people expect when going on a date" advice, i cant help much, but if you're just nervous i'd recommend not thinking of it as a date. you're just getting dinner/drinks/whatever you're doing. make it low-stakes in your head and hopefully you'll be able to relax. that's my advice!

Hello and welcome! There are lots of people here who have struggled with what you described. There’s a good amount of threads that already exist where people have talked about these sort of things, and also you can ask your own specific questions, too.

Remember that awkward or not, it’s always best to just be yourself and never pretend to be something that you’re not. There are many skills that we can learn and ways that we can improve our social interactions, but the bottom line at the end of the day is that your own authentic self is the most important thing to present to others.

im yet to be officially diagnosed but im starting the process in less than a week with my first appointment.

but i joined to ask for advice, and please let me know if i need to fix something about my post to abide by the guidelines, though i did read them beforehand.

this is probably really silly but, im going on a first date with this boy i really like soon, and im panicking because i dont know how to act on a date? its just like everybody knows how to be a human and i am lost. my friends describe me as awkward around people i dont know, and honestly i dont know him too well, but i want him to like me and get to know me for who i am so i can know more about him.

im just hoping somebody can give me some advice - maybe some conversation starters? im really nervous and dont want to mess this up!! also sorry if anythings phrased weird im awful at phrasing.
That's okay. It is almost impossible to mess up on this forum. That's because we're all in the same boat.

Ask questions about him. What music do you like? What computer games do you play? Things like that.

Talk about the food you eat or the things you do with him. Things you want to do with him in the future, things he has on his phone, your and his interests, etc. Have fun : ) and welcome to Autism Forums! I'm Georgia and I'm a teen as well. Taylor Swift is pretty neat :3

Hello and welcome! There are lots of people here who have struggled with what you described. There’s a good amount of threads that already exist where people have talked about these sort of things, and also you can ask your own specific questions, too.

Remember that awkward or not, it’s always best to just be yourself and never pretend to be something that you’re not. There are many skills that we can learn and ways that we can improve our social interactions, but the bottom line at the end of the day is that your own authentic self is the most important thing to present to others.
It also means being honest about boundaries which is very crucial in relationships ^w^

welcome!

my only experience being on dates were ones i didn't know were dates (she never said she was asking me out, we just meet up for drinks, and later she told me that they were dates)

if you're looking for "what do people expect when going on a date" advice, i cant help much, but if you're just nervous i'd recommend not thinking of it as a date. you're just getting dinner/drinks/whatever you're doing. make it low-stakes in your head and hopefully you'll be able to relax. that's my advice!
That's very good advice <3

Your interesting complete reverse of what is usually said. Guys having issues meeting women The bottom line we are really not that different.

thank you i appreciate it!!
Hi and welcome. Stick around and look through old threads. What you say is very common here. I think nearly every person here has said just about the same thing using different word. Just about everyone here has problems with social interaction. You are not alone and we all try to support each other here.

thank you to everyone who replied - i appreciate your help a lot. we've decided to go on a walk by a nearby river. i think i mightve chalked it up to a much bigger deal than it is. thats something i am prone to doing, and i think most of you were right. i should relax and be myself. thank you again !

Most on this site are straight shooters up front, no hidden agendas. that's who we are as a community,

Hi and Welcome @cadiewoah
You might want to look at some of the threads on the forum about dating - and relationships.

However, just be yourself, relax and be spontaneous in the conversation - and go with the flow

New Threads

Top Bottom