• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

First meeting with a psychiatrist about autism - mixed feelings.

mangosoda

hands too dry and too wet at the same time
Had it like, 2 weeks ago but I decided to wait and think more about it before starting discussion about specifics that werent with my friends or psychologist.

It was pretty standard, honestly, questions about how my mothers pregnancy was, childhood, how I feel, etc etc, we know this, my issue isnt with what I was asked.

More about .. what I got out of it, I have more testing on the end of may, but I feel that my diagnosis might be a little.. less likely to happen than expected. I have reasons to believe that the psychiatrist already has made an opinion, and it's not autism, but depression and possibly ADHD. She wanted to give me a prescription for methylphenidate (Concerta) and some kind of anti depressants. I took the Concerta because I do have some attention issues, that it didnt even help with all that much by the way, but refused the antidepressants..

The psychiatrist asked me if I'm sure about not wanting them 3 times, which felt a little pressuring if I'm being honest, but I stood my ground and now I'm left with some ADHD medication and more confusion than ever. On one hand, maybe I'm just being too negative about this and she was just trying things out, but on the other, a prescription for controlled substances used most often when having a specific disorder isn't really the biggest "we don't have an opinion yet" sign

Has anyone had similar experiences ?

I haven't, unfortunately, a directly similiar experience to share. My road was different. But I did want to say I think it very wise of you to hold your ground on the anti-depressants. For one, it is hard to evaluate the results of a change (medication) if you are changing more then one thing at a time. Two, it is better only to take medications that you are comfortable with and agree are a good idea to try. I myself like to do some research on meds before trying them. Looking into side effects, finding sites where others have described how it works (or not). I can't do this at the time the doctor first suggests them, so unless I am already on board for some reason, will need time to think it over.

Lastly, autism is not completely understood by all professionals, so you can run into a doctor not knowledgable about all its varied forms or how it presents in women as opposed to men, etc. again, stand your ground and persue it until you know, as best as is possible, that you have the correct diagnosis.

Yep. First they tried anti-depressants, then anti-psychotics, and eventually anti-anxiety meds. Everything helped a lot for a month or two but quickly just left me where I started, but added a dependance on prescriptions. If you are on the spectrum, you’ll probably have a similar experience. You really might benefit more from an accurate diagnosis without any mind-altering substances.

I learned to steer clear of any shrink who goes straight for the prescription pad. Medications can be life saving, or life ending. How can they know what is appropriate without really getting to know me first? And I lived my whole life with this problem… let’s wait a month or two before we start hacking my brain with stuff that is so strong or dangerous that it’s in a time-locked safe at the pharmacy.

Had it like, 2 weeks ago but I decided to wait and think more about it before starting discussion about specifics that werent with my friends or psychologist.

It was pretty standard, honestly, questions about how my mothers pregnancy was, childhood, how I feel, etc etc, we know this, my issue isnt with what I was asked.

More about .. what I got out of it, I have more testing on the end of may, but I feel that my diagnosis might be a little.. less likely to happen than expected. I have reasons to believe that the psychiatrist already has made an opinion, and it's not autism, but depression and possibly ADHD. She wanted to give me a prescription for methylphenidate (Concerta) and some kind of anti depressants. I took the Concerta because I do have some attention issues, that it didnt even help with all that much by the way, but refused the antidepressants..

The psychiatrist asked me if I'm sure about not wanting them 3 times, which felt a little pressuring if I'm being honest, but I stood my ground and now I'm left with some ADHD medication and more confusion than ever. On one hand, maybe I'm just being too negative about this and she was just trying things out, but on the other, a prescription for controlled substances used most often when having a specific disorder isn't really the biggest "we don't have an opinion yet" sign

Has anyone had similar experiences ?
Yep. First they tried anti-depressants, then anti-psychotics, and eventually anti-anxiety meds. Everything helped a lot for a month or two but quickly just left me where I started, but added a dependance on prescriptions. If you are on the spectrum, you’ll probably have a similar experience. You really might benefit more from an accurate diagnosis without any mind-altering substances.

I learned to steer clear of any shrink who goes straight for the prescription pad. Medications can be life saving, or life ending. How can they know what is appropriate without really getting to know me first? And I lived my whole life with this problem… let’s wait a month or two before we start hacking my brain with stuff that is so strong or dangerous that it’s in a time-locked safe at the pharmacy.
I was diagnosed as ADHD as a child and put on Ritalin. It made me not able to eat and took the life out of me. those people are drug pushers. Of all the drugs I have ever tried legal and illegal weed helped the best. Right now I am not able to have it because of legal issues, so I am completely sober and absolutely refuse to take any prescription drugs at all. My counselor respects my decision as well as everyone else working with me. We are working on getting an official diagnosis and in the meantime I am learning new coping skills.

I was diagnosed as ADHD as a child and put on Ritalin. It made me not able to eat and took the life out of me. those people are drug pushers. Of all the drugs I have ever tried legal and illegal weed helped the best. Right now I am not able to have it because of legal issues, so I am completely sober and absolutely refuse to take any prescription drugs at all. My counselor respects my decision as well as everyone else working with me. We are working on getting an official diagnosis and in the meantime I am learning new coping skills.
Unfortunately, I agree. Weed makes me lazy the next day but it works better than basically everything I have tried. Alcohol helps immensely but I always overdo it and it becomes the problem that is worse than the one I’m trying to fix. I have a severe back injury and the prescription pain killers I was prescribed really helped too but again, comes with a long list of new problems. The anti-psychotic I was prescribed worked but it actually stole my personality for the couple of months I was taking it (that’s why I stopped taking it)

Everything has side effects. For me it’s just not worth the cost. Even just knowing I have a Dr appointment regularly was creating more stress for me. My regular routine is what really works best and breaking it to go to the Dr and pharmacy feels like I’m waiting to die.

Unfortunately, I agree. Weed makes me lazy the next day but it works better than basically everything I have tried. Alcohol helps immensely but I always overdo it and it becomes the problem that is worse than the one I’m trying to fix. I have a severe back injury and the prescription pain killers I was prescribed really helped too but again, comes with a long list of new problems. The anti-psychotic I was prescribed worked but it actually stole my personality for the couple of months I was taking it (that’s why I stopped taking it)

Everything has side effects. For me it’s just not worth the cost. Even just knowing I have a Dr appointment regularly was creating more stress for me. My regular routine is what really works best and breaking it to go to the Dr and pharmacy feels like I’m waiting to die.

"feels like I’m waiting to die....." Me too. I keep"hanging in there " but sometimes I think" for what?" I guess I'll know some day because as bad as things can get, suicide is NOT an option! Thanks bro

"feels like I’m waiting to die....." Me too. I keep"hanging in there " but sometimes I think" for what?" I guess I'll know some day because as bad as things can get, suicide is NOT an option! Thanks bro
About 3 days before any Dr appointment I start to stress. No particular reason. I think that subconsciously I know my daily routine is paramount and it’s definitely going to change for a couple of hours. As much as I sometimes benefit from seeing a Dr, the stress it causes usually makes me decide not to go.

I hate whenever they change my work schedule from day to day. It changed from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. and I showed up at 6:00 a.m. . An hour early.

New Threads

Top Bottom