• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

jleeb05

V.I.P Member
Today was the first day of my assessment for ASD. I wanted a formal assessment because I don't necessarily fit some of the ASD boxes in a way that would make me comfortable to self-diagnose. As @Nummulite mentioned in another thread, the process of getting assessed is quite frustrating. You often have to advocate for yourself, make repeated calls, and then find yourself on months-, if not, years-long waitlists. And many of the private clinicians aren't even excepting new cases.

Anyway, I finally found a private clinician able to complete the assessment in a reasonable time frame though it cost me $2100. Prior to the assessment, I filled out some questionnaires, and over three 90 minute sessions she'll observe me and learn more about my experience.

I worried that clinicians might not see me as having ASD because I don't have some of the stereotypical aspects and may mask well but I immediately felt affirmed by her. She nodded her head a lot as I shared my experiences and at various times shared how common they were among people with ASD. She acknowledged that I was "affable" and "chatty" but that I had likely learned to mask through trial-and-error and that some of my social difficulties were more obvious over time. Despite being a cisgender male, she said my ASD traits were more similar to the typical profile of an autistic woman (this is the second time I've heard this).

I assumed she would wait until the 3rd session before sharing thoughts on whether I actually have ASD but at one point, she said, "As someone on the spectrum, you should not compare yourself to neurotypical people." So I guess maybe I'm more obviously autistic than I thought?

It is nice having a clinician affirm some of my experiences but I must reiterate how much I've learned through this forum. I went from thinking it's unlikely, to somewhat possible, to definitely. I think there are pros and cons to both an official diagnosis and self-diagnosis but it feels good to be affirmed by both clinicians and others on the spectrum, with or without an official diagnosis.

Thank you. That's interesting.

I hope I don't offend you with my comment, but I thought you were female. For no reason that I can pin point though.

Frankly, gendered assessment is bollacks anyway. I think it is a hold over from paternal thinking. There seems to be a deep need for some men to distinguish themselves as such.

Consider the online litertaure regarding female aspies. They often state that female aspies often gravitate to celebrities or pop culture as a special interest. This is also bollacks. Some do of course, but my guess is that there are scores of women who couldn't care less about celebrities or pop icons. To use these as examples gives a false impression that "special interest" is confused with celebrity stalker and if you aren't plastering your walls with xxx then you probably aren't on the spectrum. o_O
Sorry, that is just my personal rant.

That sounds like a wonderful experience, I'm glad to hear that it's going well. Reading this makes me think that if I'm more financially secure in a year or so, maybe I'll skip the wait and see a private clinician as well- it seems like it could be worth it

Today was the first day of my assessment for ASD. I wanted a formal assessment because I don't necessarily fit some of the ASD boxes in a way that would make me comfortable to self-diagnose. As @Nummulite mentioned in another thread, the process of getting assessed is quite frustrating. You often have to advocate for yourself, make repeated calls, and then find yourself on months-, if not, years-long waitlists. And many of the private clinicians aren't even excepting new cases.

Anyway, I finally found a private clinician able to complete the assessment in a reasonable time frame though it cost me $2100. Prior to the assessment, I filled out some questionnaires, and over three 90 minute sessions she'll observe me and learn more about my experience.

I worried that clinicians might not see me as having ASD because I don't have some of the stereotypical aspects and may mask well but I immediately felt affirmed by her. She nodded her head a lot as I shared my experiences and at various times shared how common they were among people with ASD. She acknowledged that I was "affable" and "chatty" but that I had likely learned to mask through trial-and-error and that some of my social difficulties were more obvious over time. Despite being a cisgender male, she said my ASD traits were more similar to the typical profile of an autistic woman (this is the second time I've heard this).

I assumed she would wait until the 3rd session before sharing thoughts on whether I actually have ASD but at one point, she said, "As someone on the spectrum, you should not compare yourself to neurotypical people." So I guess maybe I'm more obviously autistic than I thought?

It is nice having a clinician affirm some of my experiences but I must reiterate how much I've learned through this forum. I went from thinking it's unlikely, to somewhat possible, to definitely. I think there are pros and cons to both an official diagnosis and self-diagnosis but it feels good to be affirmed by both clinicians and others on the spectrum, with or without an official diagnosis.
one thing that seems to happen and it happened to me is after diagnosis you still question if you are autistic, I've realised it took me over 4 years to stop doing that .

I hope I don't offend you with my comment, but I thought you were female. For no reason that I can pin point though.

No offense taken, this does not surprise me haha.

That sounds like a wonderful experience, I'm glad to hear that it's going well. Reading this makes me think that if I'm more financially secure in a year or so, maybe I'll skip the wait and see a private clinician as well- it seems like it could be worth it

It definitely felt good to be affirmed by someone who specializes in dealing with people on the spectrum. Though I definitely struggled with deciding whether it was worth the cost. I think because of my tendency to fixate on things, I knew that I would probably not stop thinking about autism until I got the assessment done haha. So this was to relieve the tension as much as it was to get the actual diagnosis.

I do think this forum has helped tremendously. I always worried that I wasn't on the spectrum because I had little in common with them. I now see that although we come in many flavors, there are a lot of shared experiences.

one thing that seems to happen and it happened to me is after diagnosis you still question if you are autistic, I've realised it took me over 4 years to stop doing that .

I've thought about this as well. If I'm diagnosed, will I believe the clinician? Honestly, I think for $2100 she should diagnose me with leprosy if that's what I want haha. But still, I wondered, does she diagnose everyone with autism? Will I somehow fool her?

Having spoken with others on this forum and read more about ASD though I hope I can accept, what I assume is the likely diagnosis, and not continue to question it.

New Threads

Top Bottom