• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

First Dairy Queen Opens June 22, 1940

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
On this day in 1940, the first Dairy Queen opened along Route 66 in Joliet, Illinois, introducing small-town America to its delicious and innovative frozen treats. The chain was founded by J.F. McCullough and his son Alex — who two years prior had developed the revolutionary concept of soft-serve ice cream — along with their business partner, Sherb Noble. The original menu offered cones for a nickel and sundaes for eight cents, with each swirl featuring a distinct curl on top resembling a “Q,” which became one of DQ’s signature (and trademarked) looks.

In 1985, Dairy Queen unveiled its now-signature treat, the taste sensation known as the Blizzard, which sold 75 million units in its first year alone. Made of a creamy frozen base mixed with cookie (most popularly Oreo) and candy pieces, Blizzards are traditionally served upside-down to prove their thickness and quality. While soft-serve remains the company’s main draw, DQ Grill & Chills — serving both savory and sweet options — now make up the bulk of its U.S. locations, and the chain recently unveiled a new line of Stackburgers, marking its biggest menu extension in two decades. Since its modest beginnings, Dairy Queen has expanded to over 6,800 restaurants across 29 countries.

Who doesn't like DQ? Here in NW Michigan there are a lot of mom and pop soft serve places, some quite good, that seem to compete with specialties, just like the markets here compete with quality brats during cookout season. At my local store and especially after the fairs, they decorate the meat locker with the ribbons of the animals that provide the meat on offer.

Dairy Queen has always been a small town staple here. Had an aunt who used to work there when I was a kid, two words: Free Blizzards! In HS, had classmates who worked there, two words: FREE ANYTHING lol. When I go visit my parents I always make a DQ visit for the local menu which they don't have where I live.

I rarely go to a DQ any longer but I do like having their Ice-milk for a change. For a brief period DQ also served ice cream in their stores. I think it was called "Queen's Choice" IIRC? It was really good and I wished they'd kept it.

And the rest, is history

Now I'm craving a Strawberry Cheesecake Blizzard!!

@Nitro , you know, you've got me google mapsing where the heck any Dairy Queens are around here.

Yeah, we don't have Dairy Queen in the UK (or at least not to my knowledge). Heck, the first time I ever heard about it was when I watch DBZ Abridged on YouTube and we got this scene:

New Threads

Top Bottom