• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finland doesn't do small talk - sounds like an Apsie paradise

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
BBC Article: How the Finnish survive without small talk.
Warning: contains some profanity.

The article mentions that, in English classes in Finland, they have to teach the students how to make the small talk that people in other countries expect.

A few excerpts:
Finns think if there’s no important topic to discuss, there’s no conversation at all. In fact, one of their national sayings is ‘Silence is gold, talking is silver’.

Small talk outside social situations between close friends is virtually non-existent. Interactions with baristas? Limited to the name of the coffee you want to order. Sitting, walking or standing in a way that requires acknowledging a stranger’s presence? Never.

When faced with expressing themselves in second (or third) language, many often choose to not say anything rather than risk not being fully understood.

It’s even gone international: In China, teens there who don’t enjoy social interactions are describing themselves as 'spiritually Finnish'.

I love that term, 'spiritually Finnish'. I'd start using that myself, but I don't think anyone here would get the reference.

Yeah; just asked a Finnish girl who's in one of my Discord Servers; she said and I quote: It depends, and with strangers they'll do very little small talk as it's often times creepy or uncomfortable if someone randomly strikes up a conversation at the bus stop or something

My stereotype detector is buzzing.

Its funny how general assumptions are all over the place when it is about certain country/people and would be totally illegal or at least would lead to a controversy online if it was about other countries /people...

Silence is gold isnt something known only by finnish btw, and this article is just noise in my opinion xD

My stereotype detector is buzzing.

Its funny how general assumptions are all over the place when it is about certain country/people and would be totally illegal or at least would lead to a controversy online if it was about other countries /people...

Silence is gold isnt something known only by finnish btw, and this article is just noise in my opinion xD
Stereotypes often fall short of the truth: 2 years and 9 months we lived in Mexico (stereotyped dangerous country) and I was never robbed once.

Two months in Canada (super safe country) and I have had two instances where they tried to jump me. There is a shocking amount of needle use and homelessness in Canada.

Yep. that's where stereotypes come from. Different groups in different locations have different customs. Then a statistically significant number of people there are seen by social media doing the same thing and bingo.

I've only had one online Finnish friend. They were personable and talkative. Which is what you want online. Be very boring staring at empty text fields.

Stereotypes often fall short of the truth: 2 years and 9 months we lived in Mexico (stereotyped dangerous country) and I was never robbed once.

Two months in Canada (super safe country) and I have had two instances where they tried to jump me. There is a shocking amount of needle use and homelessness in Canada.

That and in some parts of Canada they talk funny, like there's a Moose loose aboot this hoose!

Yeah I know, rubbish reference to a line in a Mrs Brown's Boys episode.

Silence is golden is a saying that many people say in my country.(france) So iv never search for its origin because you know its like "it"s raining cats and dogs "(haha)things like that.

And the oldest thing you can easely find about this saying is that you can find it in the Talmud.
So it is very old and I guess it's spread all across europe I guess.

Frankly this is all news to me given I've never met anyone from this particular country. Yet I've met many from both Norway and Sweden who would most definitely contrast such claims of their neighbor.

Hmmmm. Well, these sources below are most definitely using a Finnish domain. Stereotypes in themselves can be generalizations, yet aren't necessarily falsehoods either.

"A Guide To Finnish Customs And Manners"

"Finland is a country where considerable weight is attached to the spoken word – words are chosen carefully and for the purpose of delivering a message. Indeed, there are very few other culture-specific considerations that visitors need be aware of. Finns place great value on words, which is reflected in the tendency to say little and avoid ‘unnecessary’ small talk. As the Chinese proverb puts it, 'Your speech should be better than silence, if it is not, be silent.'"

A guide to Finnish customs and manners - thisisFINLAND

Here's another Finnish source:

"Finns are a famously taciturn people who have little time for small talk or social niceties, so don't expect to hear phrases like "thank you" or "you're welcome" too often. The Finnish language lacks a specific word for "please", so Finns sometimes forget to use it when speaking English, even when they don't mean to be rude. Also lacking in Finnish is the distinction between "he" and "she", which may lead to confusing errors. Loud speaking and loud laughing is not normal in Finland and may irritate some Finns. Occasional silence is considered a part of the conversation, not a sign of hostility or irritation."

The Finnish Way of Life

Last edited:
The Finns are themselves aware of this stereotype, but they also agree with it. It's just a cultural nuance, not to be judged as either good or bad. It just is. On the flip-side, Americans are seen as overly friendly for no apparent reason. That is our culture. I've been to Finland on a few occasions and I find the people to be polite and efficient. Small talk is dull anyway.

That and in some parts of Canada they talk funny, like there's a Moose loose aboot this hoose!

Yeah I know, rubbish reference to a line in a Mrs Brown's Boys episode.

At least in Canada I don't need to take a gun with me when I walk down to the grocery store and can legally buy chocolate eggs with toys inside them.

I grew up in the US with the old saying that "it is better to remain silent and perceived as stupid than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." I'm pretty sure that is a universal attitude.

I don't know anyone from Finland, but once met someone who has, who also said more or less the same thing as the article. As for stereotypes, in order for the stereotype to arise, it must be true for a fairly large proportion of the population, the tendency or cultural difference must be there. It isn't a mistake to talk about tendencies, or how a majority of people are - the mistake is to then assume that all Finnish people must be like that, when clearly they are not.

Between that and the northern lights, I'm pretty jealous of Finland.

Then again, I've heard that the Finnish language has like 20 grammatical cases. Maybe they don't do small talk because it's just too hard to say anything.

Going to Finland wouldn't be a paradise for me because I don't know Finnish and would have to learn the language to understand anybody. I feel embarrassed sometimes for not being fluent in another language. The only French most English-speaking Canadians know is what they've read on bilingual cereal boxes.:laughing:

Maybe its just their environment. Cold north, long winters, stuck inside with the same people half the year. Nothing much to talk about except if the wind is howling or merely whistling.

New Threads

Top Bottom