• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fingernails on a chalkboard

Ken

V.I.P Member
It appears that the sound of scratching fingernails on a chalkboard is extremely irritating to most people. How many of you are affected this way? It never affected me because I was born with a hearing defect, but that is not my point. There are other sounds that do affect me in a way that appears to be the same level of irritation others have to fingernails on a chalkboard. Some of the sounds that affects me so strongly is someone eating with their mouth open and the sound of children, especially when screaming is almost totally intolerable. Do any of you have sounds that affect you that strongly?
There is actually a field of study pertaining to the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard:psychoacoustics.

I'm not affected by nails on a chalkboard. I'm not a fan of things being removed from a freezer. That scraping of ice sound gets to me. I too have a real issue with kids screaming. Another horrid one is small engine scooters being thrashed. The high RPM of such a tiny engine is a really piercing sound.

Also, when I don't like someone, hearing them talk is highly unpleasant. However, it's more bearable than the other noises I mentioned.

Ed

The incessant sound of pigeons on my roof. Bugs the hell out of me. :mad:

You know those pool noodle things? If someone takes 2 of those and tries to scrape them against each other, I will Do Unpleasant Things. And then they wont do so again.

Also yes things scraping a chalkboard is uuuuuuuuugh.

And kids. But then I just dislike kids in general.

I don't actually hate the sound of fingernails on chalkboards. I don't like it, but it doesn't affect me as much as i affects other people. But when I hear it, my mind is reminded of the feel of how it feels to drag my nails on a chalkboard, and that's what gets to me. Not the sound, but the feeling that the sound reminds me of.

High pitched loud sounds like electric saws and construction equipment.
Drills, nailguns, real guns and close lightening strike's cracking thunder.

The chalkboard doesn't bother me. Children shrieking, yes.

Fingernails on a chalkboard...
This was the scariest torture scene ever filmed...!
full

Gauntlet on Chalk-Board, The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

Last edited:
This was the scariest torture scene ever filmed...!
full

Gauntlets on Chalk-Board, The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
Yes! that movie clip is dead-on. Thanks for that.
If the torture sound were kids screaming or someone eating with their mouth open in my ear - or playing country & western music, I would have to submit.
I also have a country & western music phobia - way beyond extreme. (PTSD issue)

The sound doesn't bother me so much as the feel. If someone else does it...meh. If I do it YIKES. I have goosebumps just reading this thread because I can *feel* the sensation reading about it.

Flat paint is the same way. I hate flat paint.

New Threads

Top Bottom