• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding solace in a tabletop RPG about traveling through space

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Stars Without Number...

Like Dungeons & Dragons, it is a tabletop roleplaying game. You roll a character, pick his talents and skills, and set out in search of adventure...

Except, unlike D&D, SWN is a "sandbox" game, meaning while there is an established plot, there is no preset motive laid out by the core rulebook; instead of the GM reading off a pre-written adventure, it's the players who decide where to go and what to do. The GM simply rolls dice and reads tables and etc. accordingly.

Think about it...

A roleplay that lets you do whatever you feel like doing.

Is that not the ultimate escape from reality?

After i read the core rules and learned the system, I decided to create a character, and I chose an alien psychic named Kolu (you may remember that name from previous posts about past lives). I modeled Kolu to be just like me, even possessing a galactic equivalent of autism, which here is known as "marked" or sometimes "touched" in the Gemini system, a location in space I generated for the game. I even generated a space station as a starting point, complete with a place to buy supplies, first aid, a mission board which lists a fly-by menu of available jobs for some quick credits, a lounge area and even a hotel.

So, why did I choose an alien as my character?

Well... Honestly, it just felt right. It just...made sense to me.

See, when I create a character for a game, I like to try to model him/sometimes her to be as close as possible to my real life likeness, because I believe that creativity can be a useful tool in communication, and if you create something that looks, sounds and feels like it's coming FROM you, as in you yourself, then anyone who's watching will understand you better. Now, i could be inaccurate in presenting myself this way, and I know in some situations it's better to just keep it to myself, but it is often said that a picture is worth a thousand words...

So what better way to paint that picture than give it life, in some form or another? Who cares if it takes the form of a slip of paper with an alien on it and a bunch of menu items displaying everything about him? Even if Kolu isn't physically here, he's still alive in some form, and he's creating his own story.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then the brush that paints a thousand pictures can write what the pen won't. - UberScout

New Threads

Top Bottom