• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding help

TopherPwn

I have been here before, but I can't remember much. I have PTSD with memory loss. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I just beat cancer. Right now I get a lot of my help from the VA. Although they're not much help with the VA. I feel like I struggle with getting help. I am looking for help to find professionals that help with PTSD and I'm currently lost on what to do. Next steps to overcome PTSD is to learn more about myself. Seems like everything cost so much money. Which is difficult for me considering my PTSD situation. Are they affordable help or maybe programs anyone can recommend. Seems like most help is for children too. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

I have been here before, but I can't remember much. I have PTSD with memory loss. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I just beat cancer. Right now I get a lot of my help from the VA. Although they're not much help with the VA. I feel like I struggle with getting help. I am looking for help to find professionals that help with PTSD and I'm currently lost on what to do. Next steps to overcome PTSD is to learn more about myself. Seems like everything cost so much money. Which is difficult for me considering my PTSD situation. Are they affordable help or maybe programs anyone can recommend. Seems like most help is for children too. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
Hello Topherpwn, Are you working or on Disability? I know the department of aging and disability may have some programs, if not they may know where to go. It's a start....

Im working on disability with the VA, but it's more on PTSD then being autistic. I took tests such as neuropsychological. Although it was a dead end. The VA.could test, but not diagnosis. Atleast that's what they told me. I don't think the can help at this point. Atleast they failed in this area or mental health. Everything else has been wonderful. I'll look into that phrase. That you veryuch, have a nice day.

Im working on disability with the VA, but it's more on PTSD then being autistic. I took tests such as neuropsychological. Although it was a dead end. The VA.could test, but not diagnosis. Atleast that's what they told me. I don't think the can help at this point. Atleast they failed in this area or mental health. Everything else has been wonderful. I'll look into that phrase. That you veryuch, have a nice day.
When my son was diagnosed with ASD he had to go to a Neuropsychologist to be diagnosed, they told me no-one else could do it once you reached 18. Were you diagnosed with PTSD? or did they just say you have it? Because disability was very hard for my son to get on. He was so sick with his UC, he was in hospitals getting blood all the time because he would almost bleed out, but still they said he wasn't sick enough. The surgeon who did his colonoscopy said he had one of the worst cases he has seen. Still it took him 4 years and two court cases after he was turned down the first time, then they redid his court case and dropped him off Disability and he had to wait two more years and then the judge agreed he was disabled so it was actually almost 8 years working on this. Not trying to discourage you at all but have all your ducks in a row, and get the ASD diagnosis, that really did help.

one thing I do when I go to the doctor is I write it all down, that way I don't forget anything. My doctor just reads it and then I add what I want to it. I don't do it all the time but usually I have questions that I don't remember at the time, so this way I am sure to get my questions answered.

I wish I had an answer for you as finding someone who can begin to heal you but I just don't know. I know my son did go for help to the aging and disability but everyone is so limited. There has to be something though.....Keep digging into it and keep asking, you hopefully will find something. Good luck to you.... If I can think of anything I will let you know too.

I forget writing down a lot or I forget before I can get it wrote down. Thanks I'll look into it. Have a great day.

maybe go on meetup.com and see if there are any meetups in your area on PTSD. If there is, then maybe people in those groups can direct you to local resources as well. They might also be wonderful people to talk to themselves!

maybe go on meetup.com and see if there are any meetups in your area on PTSD. If there is, then maybe people in those groups can direct you to local resources as well. They might also be wonderful people to talk to themselves!

I have problems forming relationships like that now.

Perhaps you are aware, there really is no treatment available for autism per se, in adults. Instead I'm afraid you must learn to understand yourself through reading and conversations with other autistics, and asking about the specific problems you think are attributable to autism. Teasing apart what is PTSD and what is autism (and autism co-morbids, such as social anxiety) is going to be very difficult.

You should be able to get PTSD treatment through the VA. Take whatever they offer you. Don't be angry if they can't help you with autism issues, because that's not really what they are set up to do. In my own case, I have had to educate therapists about adult autism and explain what I think it is responsible for in my current problems. If I waited around for a therapist who is knowledgeable about adult autism, I wouldn't get any help at all.

Good luck to you.

I
Perhaps you are aware, there really is no treatment available for autism per se, in adults. Instead I'm afraid you must learn to understand yourself through reading and conversations with other autistics, and asking about the specific problems you think are attributable to autism. Teasing apart what is PTSD and what is autism (and autism co-morbids, such as social anxiety) is going to be very difficult.

You should be able to get PTSD treatment through the VA. Take whatever they offer you. Don't be angry if they can't help you with autism issues, because that's not really what they are set up to do. In my own case, I have had to educate therapists about adult autism and explain what I think it is responsible for in my current problems. If I waited around for a therapist who is knowledgeable about adult autism, I wouldn't get any help at all.

Good luck to you.[/QUOT

I have plenty of reasons to be angry with the VA mental health. I have reasons to be angry for other reasons with the VA. It's not all bad to be honest. You yourself said it you have to train professionals. So you're telling me they are no help at all? I'll keep that in mind. I now feel more hopeless. Your views are telling me they're no help. The VA offers the same treatments as my old family doctor. Everytime I go and try to talk I have to much information and can't talk to them. Are you sure you're right? I can't be in groups, I can't work the the VA, and you're telling me to get more hopeless. At least you're telling me the truth. I will stay lost and be doomed to never get help. Gives me a lot of stuff to think about. Have a good one.

I have plenty of reasons to be angry with the VA mental health. I have reasons to be angry for other reasons with the VA. It's not all bad to be honest. You yourself said it you have to train professionals. So you're telling me they are no help at all? I'll keep that in mind. I now feel more hopeless. Your views are telling me they're no help. The VA offers the same treatments as my old family doctor. Everytime I go and try to talk I have to much information and can't talk to them. Are you sure you're right? I can't be in groups, I can't work the the VA, and you're telling me to get more hopeless. At least you're telling me the truth. I will stay lost and be doomed to never get help. Gives me a lot of stuff to think about. Have a good one.
You're twisting my words, and I don't care for that.

Sulk in your own stink if that makes you feel better.

You're twisting my words, and I don't care for that.

Sulk in your own stink if that makes you feel better.
How long did you fight for your country? If you haven't you have no idea what he's going through.. maybe you should zip your lips and listen for once..

Topher, I'm sorry you are having troubles with PTSD and the VA isn't helping. There are too many soldiers that have fought for their country and are going through similar situations. There are meet ups (for veterans) where people can get together and talk things through. I've found this is the most helpful thing when you suffer from PTSD. They don't force you to speak or anything like that, you can just go there and listen for a while and when you feel comfortable start opening up. I know you said that it isn't really your thing, but it could really help, and the bonus is its free, and the people there have been through similar situations and you'll find them to be very understanding, usually.

I'm not sure where you are at, but this meetup description describes how most all of them run: PTSD Support Group for Veterans and their family members | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA
Good luck!

Last edited:
How am I twisting your words? You're saying the professional people lack wisdom. I feel like it's a waste. You're not the first to say it. How literally can I really get? I don't need to twist your words. If I have a problem I'll say it 100%. Don't really like your attitude now though. Although you be you and precieve it how you want. I read it again and it looks fine to me. Have a good one.

How long did you fight for your country? If you haven't you have no idea what he's going through.. maybe you should zip your lips and listen for once..

Topher, I'm sorry you are having troubles with PTSD and the VA isn't helping. There are too many soldiers that have fought for their country and are going through similar situations. There are meet ups (for veterans) where people can get together and talk things through. I've found this is the most helpful thing when you suffer from PTSD. They don't force you to speak or anything like that, you can just go there and listen for a while and when you feel comfortable start opening up. I know you said that it isn't really your thing, but it could really help, and the bonus is its free, and the people there have been through similar situations and you'll find them to be very understanding, usually.

I'm not sure where you are at, but this meetup description describes how most all of them run: PTSD Support Group for Veterans and their family members | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA
Good luck!

Don't get me wrong the VA is fantastic. I just think the mental health department is lacking. I've tried getting helped, but they want to treat me incorrectly. I keep trying to speak, but I can't. I'm to busy counting the ways I can break down there messages. I want to speak, but say to much at once. Then can't remember what I want to say. It's easier to write, but I can do this as slow as I need. I can see it to remember what I'm saying. I really dislike the way multiple psychiatrist have straight up lied. Giving me empty promises if I do things their way. Then find out after years to struggling. It was all lies and if they can't help. They can't even give me a diagnosis correctly. To attack my PTSD they go after my depression. I'm depressed, because of the PTSD. They promise to help with my ADHD, but it's still just depression medication. They want to treat my autism as bipolar manic, which again is treated with depression. I don't know how I can make things any more clear. Not going to lie, it hurt I was putting hope in having someone that might understand as a professional. I served four years and ten months. I can't do the meet ups, I can't form relationships with people anymore offline. I can't trust people. They've attempted to try and get me in trace a few times. I just feel better when I keep my head down. I'm just to nice of a person. People always think I'm having extra meanings. If not that other things. I don't really know what my next steps are now. I guess I could try and get help with my ADHD. Then maybe I can communicate again. Really sucks the world doesn't have help for asd people. I heard it takes years to even get a diagnosis. Just to hit another brick wall.

Don't get me wrong the VA is fantastic. I just think the mental health department is lacking. I've tried getting helped, but they want to treat me incorrectly. I keep trying to speak, but I can't. I'm to busy counting the ways I can break down there messages. I want to speak, but say to much at once. Then can't remember what I want to say. It's easier to write, but I can do this as slow as I need. I can see it to remember what I'm saying. I really dislike the way multiple psychiatrist have straight up lied. Giving me empty promises if I do things their way. Then find out after years to struggling. It was all lies and if they can't help. They can't even give me a diagnosis correctly. To attack my PTSD they go after my depression. I'm depressed, because of the PTSD. They promise to help with my ADHD, but it's still just depression medication. They want to treat my autism as bipolar manic, which again is treated with depression. I don't know how I can make things any more clear. Not going to lie, it hurt I was putting hope in having someone that might understand as a professional. I served four years and ten months. I can't do the meet ups, I can't form relationships with people anymore offline. I can't trust people. They've attempted to try and get me in trace a few times. I just feel better when I keep my head down. I'm just to nice of a person. People always think I'm having extra meanings. If not that other things. I don't really know what my next steps are now. I guess I could try and get help with my ADHD. Then maybe I can communicate again. Really sucks the world doesn't have help for asd people. I heard it takes years to even get a diagnosis. Just to hit another brick wall.

I'm sorry to hear how you feel, but I can definitely relate to you. Just take things slowly and do what you can. Try not to stress yourself too much, you've been through a lot. It's hard to quit fighting, be it cancer, war, psychiatrists and so on.

I also have ASD and my son has it really severely. I've often wished that something could be done to help him, but for now there isn't much. Maybe in the future things will change. There's a lot of research going on now.

If you can get your ADHD under control that would be a step in the right direction. The VA should hopefully be able to help you with that.

I keep my head down a lot too, it is often the best way. Sometimes though, I peek over the wall.

I'm sorry to hear how you feel, but I can definitely relate to you. Just take things slowly and do what you can. Try not to stress yourself too much, you've been through a lot. It's hard to quit fighting, be it cancer, war, psychiatrists and so on.

I also have ASD and my son has it really severely. I've often wished that something could be done to help him, but for now there isn't much. Maybe in the future things will change. There's a lot of research going on now.

If you can get your ADHD under control that would be a step in the right direction. The VA should hopefully be able to help you with that.

I keep my head down a lot too, it is often the best way. Sometimes though, I peek over the wall.

The VA can give neurological test, but after confirming ADHD. They just told me I had it and I was a creative genius. Then told me they can't give me an ADHD diagnosis. I can't get help for it anywhere. Unless if I can afford a diagnosis not from them.
I heard they're looking at genetics, but I don't know how I'd feel about them. I have no idea how that'd effect me. It makes me think would I still be me. I'd just like a professional who understands ASD better. I don't like I can't catch my own mistakes. It seems like the memory loss is getting worse each year. I can't peak over the wall. I'd want to jump over to much. I can't not be open. Which leads me to just get manipulated. I get people upset who misunderstand me. I also don't take sides. People get mad when you don't have there back. I expect the truth and treat others with the truth. We both need to put our heads up, but we'll get there when we're there.

I guess, keep shooting for disability. It's yet another fight, but once you get on it, they can provide you with more psychiatric care.

I had to relocate to a different country to get help, so I can really relate to what you are going through.

I guess, keep shooting for disability. It's yet another fight, but once you get on it, they can provide you with more psychiatric care.

I had to relocate to a different country to get help, so I can really relate to what you are going through.

Sorry I don't have good advice. I'll keep trying it'll work out. I'll probably recluse and get ADHD help.

Atleast I know psychiatrist don't grasp ass patiences greatly. It'll save a lot of time and money. Rough news to hear, but I'll get by. Hoping neuralink will help with the PTSD. Possibly even have better chances in VR world's. Atleast at the minimum for educational vr classrooms.

New Threads

Top Bottom