• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding Good Employment

Andrew206

I've been told in previous jobs (mainly in food service) that my communication and work speed is slow. I'm wondering if I should try to find a job that isn't as stressful as food service is.

All jobs are stressful at times though. Maybe your work speed isnt too slow or the boss would have talked to you about it. I always made sure i was friendly, on time, and honest and hoped that would balance out any deficiencies.
If you do look for another job be sure to not quit the one you have until you get the new one! I learned that one the hard way!

I've been told in previous jobs (mainly in food service) that my communication and work speed is slow. I'm wondering if I should try to find a job that isn't as stressful as food service is.

Any job involving peak service hours means stress concentrated at certain points in time every day. Compounded in some cases when the job involves any kind of repetitive time-sensitive functions like assembling food or products. Worse still if the job involves meeting production quotas based on output and speed.

True dat...such work isn't for everyone.

I would think that you would want to find something that quality is aquired over quantity.

Last edited:
Most jobs are stressful in their own way, but food service is especially stressful in my opinion, especially if you can't do as fast as they want you to go.

If it's an option, I would try a different line of work.

I know someone is very happy doing night watchman. It's not always at night, but he is alone and can read as much as he wants. That way, you could be left in peace. Another man I know who is Aspie drives the forklift in the Wal mart warehouse and he loves it. No one to yell at him unless he runs over something which he never does!

Yes, absolutely. There are lots of other jobs out there. Food service might be among the worst jobs for you specifically.

@Andrew206 You're Aspie, of course you're slow at communicating! Surely they know about that? Sounds like discrimination from above to me.

@Andrew206 You're Aspie, of course you're slow at communicating! Surely they know about that? Sounds like discrimination from above to me.

Could be, could just be a bad fit. I've had cases of both.

If they say you work and communicate too slow because the pace is really too strenuous for you, then it's the wrong job for you.

If you have tried hard to overcome these difficulties, but they're telling you you work too slow anyway just because of who you are and what your diagnosis is, then that's discrimination.

Food service is something that I don't think I'd be able to do either. For me I think something in data entry would suffice.

Another man I know who is Aspie drives the forklift in the Wal mart warehouse and he loves it. No one to yell at him unless he runs over something which he never does!

I can attest that driving a forklift is exactly as fun as it looks, maybe more. Speed is important, but more important is not damaging anything/anyone with the forklift, which is surprisingly easy to do. But, it's a job where quality and precision are more important than speed, and all-in-all it's a pretty good Aspie job.

Using machinery may or may not be for you. I think its very person centric. Some I was ok with (ie. lifts), some I sucked at. Once when young, I punctured a 55 gal drum of oil with a fork, and then idiotically put it in reverse and pulled it out. No more fork for Tommy. Too bad too, cause it would have come in very useful years later marshalling cargo in the Air Force.

New Threads

Top Bottom