• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional or Artistic Works That Explore Spiritual Themes?

Nairobi

Are there any fictional or artistic works (books, movies, paintings, etc.) that explore or inspire exploration of spiritual themes that you have been moved or intrigued by? In terms of books, I mean books other than religious scriptures (not to discount religious scriptures at all, of course, I just think that could be its own, separate thread). It doesn't have to be high art, it could be a comic book series.:)

It's when you said picture I remember seeing this in my mother's book of fine art it's the colours they overawe me, not the subject but the way they are shaped
R (4).jpeg

In some ways that would be Star Wars The Force Unleashed game. If you watch the story closely you will notice it. Balto movie would be another. The Prince of Egypt probably captures it best.

For me though I've always had an interest in this subject. Having a personal reason from childhood.

My favorite theme in religious art is martyrdom. I am very moved when I look at paintings of the stoning of Stephen, or many of the artworks in The Martyr's Mirror. I like art that moves me emotionally, and inspires me to be a better person and emulate courageous people of the past.

xir91404_1024x1024.jpg

iu
martyrs-mirror-book-2-page-387-dirk-willems.jpg
waldensians-300x234.jpg

JesusChristSuperstar1.jpg

The 1970 Rock Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice was a biggie for me. A very non traditional approach. I listened to it so many times, 50 years later I still can recite most of the lyrics.

I am not a Catholic, but I also love the theme of "The Madonna and Child". The classical masters take my breath away.

Madonna-And-Child-jesus-9761557-683-1000.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any fictional or artistic works (books, movies, paintings, etc.) that explore or inspire exploration of spiritual themes that you have been moved or intrigued by? In terms of books, I mean books other than religious scriptures (not to discount religious scriptures at all, of course, I just think that could be its own, separate thread). It doesn't have to be high art, it could be a comic book series.:)
This stuff would have gone over my head before I tried psychedelic drugs, as I was a bit of an air-head, not that I am promoting drugs.

Alex Grey's artwork as he shows movement of energy.
Books I should have read as a kid, The little prince.

In some ways that would be Star Wars The Force Unleashed game. If you watch the story closely you will notice it. Balto movie would be another. The Prince of Egypt probably captures it best.

For me though I've always had an interest in this subject. Having a personal reason from childhood.
I don't know much about Star Wars, but I remember thinking of spiritual ideas when I watched the Matrix...I just can't remember what I thought now, it was so long ago. I also liked spiritual themes I noticed in the Harry Potter movies.

This stuff would have gone over my head before I tried psychedelic drugs, as I was a bit of an air-head, not that I am promoting drugs.

Alex Grey's artwork as he shows movement of energy.
Books I should have read as a kid, The little prince.
There's so much truth in The Little Prince, at least I think so.
The star.png

Something about this icon overlooking the street below - I wish I lived somewhere with a sight like this, where I could look up during an ordinary day and glimpse such a beautiful icon as I walk by. This is in Linthuania, the icon is known as Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn.

Ostrabrama.jpg
Vilnius_Dawn_Gate.jpg

My favorite theme in religious art is martyrdom. I am very moved when I look at paintings of the stoning of Stephen, or many of the artworks in The Martyr's Mirror. I like art that moves me emotionally, and inspires me to be a better person and emulate courageous people of the past.

xir91404_1024x1024.jpg

iu
martyrs-mirror-book-2-page-387-dirk-willems.jpg
waldensians-300x234.jpg
I find stories of such martyrs very inspiring, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom