• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feelings about feelings

NT_tavbabe

I just have a general question, how do you feel about having feelings for other people?
Cause I hate it a lot, to me it just gets in the way with unnecessary emotions and cause disruptions in my life when all I want is to end up alone and work so I can live in comfort.(also with a cat) so is been wondering is it just me or are there other people who feel this.

Small update: I guess I mean like romantic feelings haha, but also the terrible feelings that follow like jealousy and doubts, etc.

Last edited:
Feelings can be great if reciprocated, hell if unrequited, and hella confusing when you develop them for someone you really don't want to have feelings for.

Sure enough feelings can be disruptive, but I like them nonetheless. They make me feel more human.

I'm experiencing feelings for someone atm. It's nice, and I feel excited and more happy but the butterflies are super annoying and I'm constantly worrying whether they're requited or not. In general, everytime I fall for someone I think "oh great, not again". :D

Generally, I don't. Have feelings about other people, I mean. If you mean "for other people"... as in caring, love, romantic interest...generally it just ends up making me sad.

Hard question. I have low empathy and it's impossible to set myself in someone's "shoes". I got really surprised once when my mother told me she didn't like "Logan" because of violence. Of course I'm against violence but why not to like a movie or another media only because of fantasy violence?

Anyhoo, my feelings are pretty different from other's - even autists'.
My aspie friend from St. Petersburg is more sensitive to environment than me. He is afraid of heights, big insects and grotesque figures. We chat every day since March and it happened a few times I accidentally scared him with pictures related with any of his fears.

What about my romantic experience? I fell once or maybe twice in love. I loved to imagine how we would talk and hug. I tried to be loyal as hard as I could. But I hadn't any success to become at least friends. :confounded:

If it wasn't for feelings I would have a lonely, miserable life. My wife and family make me very happy. I love them dearly.

Feelings can be hard to deal with but I wouldn't want to be without them (whether feelings for others or any other type of feelings).

I tend to have a really hard time caring about other people, even pretty close friends I've found my ability to empathize and sympathize to be really low. The best I can do is know the things I'm supposed to do to make it appear like I'm empathizing so that they don't think I'm a robot and stop being friends with me (because I do like friends, I just have a hard time with the feelings part).
Romantic feelings are easier for me for some reason, my partner tends to be the only one I feel I can really honestly care about. The empathy comes easier with intimate relationships for me. Of course, developing crushes and whatnot is INFURIATING to me. I identity a lot with how other people are saying they're inconvenient because they always distract me from what I want to be doing and I can't stand it. But the actual process of dating is easier for me.

Feelings overall are really confusing but I know that it wouldn't be easier without them. Every instance of bad numbed days remind me of that.

...Cause I hate it a lot, to me it just gets in the way with unnecessary emotions and cause disruptions in my life when all I want is to end up alone and work so I can live in comfort.(also with a cat) so is been wondering is it just me or are there other people who feel this....

Feelings are complicated things, but to me, they aren't about me, but about the person they are for. Seeing them that way helps me understand them and work around them.

I think life would be a fairly gloomy place without feelings, without there being other people who matter. Admittedly, trying to define what 'matters' means for anyone in particular isn't always easy, but I have told someone I love them, and I knew that I meant it genuinely. I have also found friends who were less than that, but still important.

Up until recently, I was quite happy to forgo any more of the deep emotional connections, and stay alone. There is a great deal of satisfaction to be in almost complete control of my own life and environment. But then I met someone and realised that I'd rather experience the emotional upheaval and all that it entails, than to stay comfortably isolated.

In other words, for me, I think emotions are a necessary part of life, despite the disruptions.

New Threads

Top Bottom