• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling unnecessarily unwanted

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
A person who is on the spectrum should not be treated less just because of the label. I've run into this problem throughout my life. People will do it unconsciously, but it happens all the time.

I met this lady who ran a social group for people on the spectrum. She had to stop doing it for a complication of reasons. She also had a child who is extremely quite low functioning and has been through a separation and a divorce from an abusive husband.

Right now, she is teaching in an extremely urban district I used to teach in. When she posts these things on FB and when I tell her how I used to teach in the district myself for 1.5 years and how I might know a few people she can talk to that can help her out, she avoids answering some of my questions. She always has "excuses" for not being able to meet to pick up magazines she could use for art projects. She claims she's been already standing her ground in the classroom and making connections to be part of the community. I'm not convinced she's maximizing her possibilities as I am friends with a former teacher who taught most of her career at this district and wanted to introduce them to each other which their respective permissions to do so beforehand first. I feel as if I am being unconsciously judged that I could never amount to help her because I am on the spectrum, about 15-20 years younger than her, and I am not married with an extremely autistic child.

I am thinking I want to unfriend her on FB at this point, because I feel uncomfortable with someone I cannot communicate with, level with, and hang out with. She can stay on my LinkedIn as a networking friend though. Thoughts?

I take it she's not on the spectrum herself? If she is it might go some way towards explaining it... Independence, not feeling comfortable with receiving help, uncertainty of how to respond. Of course all those things may be true if she's NT too. If it's frustrating you too much, there's no shame in withdrawing ;)

Why unfriend her? Why not just not follow her posts? I used to always unfriend to before I understood I could polite avoid them by unfollowing them. They don't know.

l want to be polite, and not trample on your kindness you offered her, BUT she just isn't into you. l think we know we have a hard time reading that signal, letting go, disengaging, don't take it personally, and find yourself and live in the present. And also realise that you handled it well and it leaves a opening for you to better yourself by doing something for you now.

You can lead a horse to water ....

Just because you offer to help does not obligate the other person to accept your offer. Stop offering. She is in charge of her own life and how she chooses to proceed.

Sometimes people don't want help really, and they won't always make that clear sadly. It's good that you tried, but if they don't respect what you're trying to do, then best to stop for your sake.

New Threads

Top Bottom