• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling stuck

Iamnotarabot

Hi !

So my therapist said we could have a session earlier, it was yesterday !

I dont know what to think about it! I just spoke too much while saying nothing at the same time, she took notes, and she gave me one of those tests i already did on the internet...

She said that finding out if I have ASD was the right thing to do and that , while she didnt have the answer yet , it might be the case...( ofc its her business )

But holy cow I feel like i am loosing so much time ( and money) !
In addition she says that i need to do an IQ test but pff that scares me and i realy dont know how it will be usefull...

I just want to know if i am on the spectrum or not....i cant go on in my life at the moment without knowing it !

Do you have any idea how i can go on? next appointement is next week and I would like to tell her that i need to know fast ! How could i speed up the process?

Is an IQ test realy relevant?

A diagnosis is not something to be rushed, as it can have impact. I know you feel like you need to know THIS INSTANT, but in the bigger picture, a week or more isn't going to change that much.
The IQ test is often used to qualify (dis)ability. As a side note, IQ tests have been found to be less accurate in people with ASD. Even less so if you also happen to be depressed. But IQ tests are nothing to be afraid of. In the end they're just snapshot evaluations that only say something about what you were like at that moment.

I think they use the IQ test to create a profile of your abilities and weaknesses, to determine the level of ASD and support needed, perhaps it helps to rule out other causes of your symptoms, or just to gather more information on you for the diagnosis.

Be patient, a week really isn't long to wait. Some people have to wait months between appointments.

Yeah, I think an IQ test is relevant as it can determine both your skills and abilities and the levels of service you may need going forward.

Well ok so I need to do it according to you all!

I just need to do something else i guess...to wait...

Do you have any advise on how to deal with an IQ test? any preparation? or just sleep? should i look online ? I should do it without taking it as a test?

Don't overthink it. No need to prepare, no need to practice. Don't think of it as a test in the classical sense. It's not something you can fail or pass, it's just a tool to assess your intellectual capacity at the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom