• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling Like I Need To Not Be Here

Soleil

Okay, I know I'm not alone in this, but sometimes when I'm out and about, I start to kind of panic about nothing. I feel like I really can't be there anymore, and I need to be home. But I can't just wake up, like if I were having a bad dream; I need to make the effort to finish what I'm doing and actually drive home.

Not just when something bad is happening, like a car accident or a medical problem, or someone yelling at me, but even when I'm just shopping. I start feeling anxious, and sometimes I catch myself just standing around doing nothing, because, like, doing something would be admitting to myself that I'm there? I guess? And I have to bring myself back to reality because logically I know that the only way to feel better is if I actively take the steps needed to finish what I'm doing and leave.

Do you have sudden feelings like “I am really here?” or is it more like you pick up bad vibes or morphic fields?

This happens to me. I think I just have a limit to how long I can be somewhere "different" than I usually am. I can tolerate it until a certain point, and then I start getting really stressed out and disoriented. I just want to go home and go to my room so I can calm down and be in a familiar space.

I face this everytime I have to go somewhere to do something.
The feeling of being out there away from home, surrounded by people and noise can
make me feel disoriented and things suddenly seem surreal.

I was told by my therapist this is a type of dissociative disorder.
It is the brain's way of trying to protectic itself from the overload of suddenly realising you are
in the big store or where ever.
I try to ride it out, but, sometimes it becomes intolerable.
When I am not close to home and face a long drive back, there is nothing to do but go somewhere
to myself away from the noise, movements of people and concentrate on relaxation skills
I've learned through the years.

I've accomplished how to handle this quite well as it used to progress into a panic attack.
Now I can avoid them or at least only have a short, small one.
Haven't had a full blown 'ten' attack in many years.
Practice finally worked. But, I still head for my room when I get home to calm down even more.

Yes, this sometimes happens to me, too and I deal with it by making myself finish. I sometimes pause somewhere quiet to collect myself.

I also get the disorientated/dissasociative feeling that @SusanLR describes - I get it when going from a relatively low stimulating environment to a more intense one - going to the supermarket at night causes this, the cinema and coming out of the cinema, Christmas did this to me as a child.

Do you have sudden feelings like “I am really here?” or is it more like you pick up bad vibes or morphic fields?
I'm not sure what you mean by "morphic fields". It's hard to explain, especially since it's not super common, but it is common enough that it's a recurring thing.
The best I can describe it is almost like drifting out of phase. I start feeling anxious and panicky and kind of space out and forget where I am.

I also get the disorientated/dissasociative feeling that @SusanLR describes - I get it when going from a relatively low stimulating environment to a more intense one - going to the supermarket at night causes this, the cinema and coming out of the cinema, Christmas did this to me as a child.
Hm... things like this don't make me feel dissociative, but they definitely case a little disorientation.

New Threads

Top Bottom