• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling guilty (perhaps a little selfish?)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Yes, I did get a warehouse job after 14 months of unemployment and dealing with Covid restrictions

Last summer obviously had no events, but the scene for classic car cruise nights got busy, and helped me get through the year itself, gave me some joy, and I went to lots of them as I had no job anyway and plenty of time

I now have a job, but it appears to be starting out as an afternoon shift, for those who don't know that is typically 3 - 11 PM

Circle back to the classic car thing, if that afternoon shift continues all summer, I will likely miss every possible cruise night that happens! And it's hard to know if the weekend daytime car shows will happen more this year, and any events that might start happening, Friday night is out of the question because I will be working

Circle back to work and another new hire I worked with today, doesn't want to work that afternoon shift because of something to do with taking care of his grandmother, all of a sudden my reason for not wanting to work that shift sounds so selfish, and I do know that simply getting a job in the current economy is something to be grateful for

In all of this I'm jumping to conclusions about my summer, what shift I will be working, etc... I need to take life in stride and just deal with everything, no matter what happens... All the same if in early May I'm working on a Wednesday evening and I know there is a gigantic car cruise happening across town, I just know I'll feel miserable! But then is that too much short term thinking to begin with? Probably... o_O

In the midst of this, trying to be so grateful for even getting a job :rolleyes:

I have thought that way before working at a job. Thinking I was missing things in life. Clamp down on it. You need the job right now. The car show is a maybe at best. In a future we have not yet reached. Peace to you.

I have thought that way before working at a job. Thinking I was missing things in life. Clamp down on it. You need the job right now. The car show is a maybe at best. In a future we have not yet reached. Peace to you.

And I know you're right, but at times it seems like my entire life is me missing out on things...

Personally I love afternoon and night shift. I prefer avoiding the same hours the majority keep.

Personally I love afternoon and night shift. I prefer avoiding the same hours the majority keep.

And I've never understood why people like those shifts, as someone who enjoys the arts scene, festivals, evening classic car cruises, and such... Those shifts don't allow me to enjoy those things at all, why I have generally avoided them for most of my life...

Just called a good friend, told him I needed a good "slap in the face" :rolleyes:

And had a good conversation after that...

Sometimes to pay the bills we have to work shifts or jobs we don't care for. I'd just focus on now for now and try to learn your job and get better at it. You never know what the future will bring. But you do know what you have now.

New Threads

Top Bottom