• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling guilty and anxious because I'm a hoarder.

GrownupGirl

Tempermental Artist
I have too many toy, doll and plush collections and I know it, and I know I should get rid of them but it's too hard to decide what to keep and what to give away. I'm not very attached to other objects like clothes or old papers or whatever but I have a spare room that's so full of plushies I can't even see the floor and I'm trouble a ton of trouble sorting and organizing them. If I give them away I'll feel like I've wasted a ton of money, and if I try to sell them I know I won't make much money or people won't buy them. I feel like I'm suffocating and I'm trapped in my own apartment because I have no life and no future and Covid and everything else in the world is getting worse every day. I should getting rid of ALL my stuff since I won't be needing it anyway the way the world is, and I know collecting is wrong and evil. My whole body hurts.

I have too many toy, doll and plush collections and I know it, and I know I should get rid of them but it's too hard to decide what to keep and what to give away. I'm not very attached to other objects like clothes or old papers or whatever but I have a spare room that's so full of plushies I can't even see the floor and I'm trouble a ton of trouble sorting and organizing them. If I give them away I'll feel like I've wasted a ton of money, and if I try to sell them I know I won't make much money or people won't buy them. I feel like I'm suffocating and I'm trapped in my own apartment because I have no life and no future and Covid and everything else in the world is getting worse every day. I should getting rid of ALL my stuff since I won't be needing it anyway the way the world is, and I know collecting is wrong and evil. My whole body hurts.

I collect them too but don't sell them. Maybe get a storage room at U-Haul? You have nothing to feel guilty about your human. Hopefully, this helps. Also, you should read Ayn Rand's the fountainhead! It helped me a ton! Canada is a beautiful country you get out of the house! And have a great life!

This sounds stressful for you. The main issue I am seeing here, is that you are not enjoying your collection. It seems like it has got too big for you to be able to house it and enjoy it?

It probably would be good therefore to start to trim it down, to a size you can display and enjoy. You need to be able to walk around amongst your plushies to enjoy them, so probably could aim to reduce the plushies so that you can do that?

I'm wondering if you could pick some out that you do not highly prioritise now? You could check if they are worth selling, or if not, donate them. Here in UK I would donate to a charity shop. They will then benefit both from having them to display and draw in customers, then from selling them to make some profit for the charity, plus the person buying them gets an item they will enjoy.

Don't despair about this. If you aim to just sort out a few at a time, you will gradually sort out the issue.

I don't want to seem dismissive of your pain but the problem isn't the plushies. It is the judgement you have made against yourself that is the problem.
There is nothing "evil" or wrong about collecting things. You are simply using this one thing as a symbol to demonstrate that your inner being is in chaos.

I'm trapped in my own apartment because I have no life and no future and Covid and everything else in the world is getting worse every day.

This statement is where you really are. Focusing on plushies is merely a way you feel you might gain some control over these other things that really bother you. But even if you were to give every single one away you would still be exactly where you are.

In my opinion you need to find away to accept that the world, and living in it, is full of unknowns. You never really have control over anything except yourself. YOU are the only thing that will ever be constant in your life. So you really need to treat yourself well, vety, very well. That means talking to yourself kindly. Being supportive of yourself and letting yourself off the hook for all the things you can't control.

So what, your room is full of plushies. You are not a drug addict, your room is not full of heroine or crack. Just cuddly, cute, plushies.

Maybe the problem is that the room is too small, not that you have too many! Make creating your room into a haven for your plushies a fun project. Pack a bunch away into storage boxes, hang a cutain from the ceiling to conceal the boxes and use shelves or tables to display some of your collection. Hand a sign on the door "free hugs".

Above all, be your very best advocate. You can't control the world but you can feel better in it.

Is there a way to understand your collection differently that will allow you to pare it down by only saving exemplars of what you understand? Things like a particular manufacturer, designer, or evolution of features? I had quite a fossil collection but have given it all away to Northwestern University and other schools. Now I am more targeted in what I keep and putting together a collection that I will enjoy before turning it over to a local college.

<is a hoarder too :D

Like on a commercial/industrial level :cool:
I call my home my Museum of Oddities :p

"I know collecting is wrong and evil." Why do you say that? Who made that determination? Many people collect. It is something they enjoy. We can enjoy our things. They improve the quality of our lives.

What is behind your hoarding? Until you figure that out you can't effectively address the problem. You might need to get help with this from a professional. Sometimes we are trying to feed a need and hoarding is a way to do that. What need are you trying to meet? How can you meet that need in another way? Hoarding is also a way to deal with anxiety. I know people who hoard food. Their cupboards and freezers are full to overflowing yet they don't eat what they have. They just continue to buy more.

"I feel like I'm suffocating and I'm trapped in my own apartment because I have no life and no future and Covid and everything else in the world is getting worse every day. I should getting rid of ALL my stuff since I won't be needing it anyway the way the world is, and I know collecting is wrong and evil. My whole body hurts."
It sounds as if you are very depressed and I think you need some help in dealing with this as well. Please seek it.

See this site for more information: Hoarding: The Basics | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA

As others have suggested, there are many others that collect. Open up an eBay store, put what you want up for auction. No one said you have to get rid of everything,...but sometimes things just need to be "thinned out" a bit. Perhaps you have some "special ones", perhaps rare, limited editions, etc. that you want to keep for yourself,...and the others,...someone will put a bid on them.

I don't want to seem dismissive of your pain but the problem isn't the plushies. It is the judgement you have made against yourself that is the problem.
There is nothing "evil" or wrong about collecting things. You are simply using this one thing as a symbol to demonstrate that your inner being is in chaos.

This statement is where you really are. Focusing on plushies is merely a way you feel you might gain some control over these other things that really bother you. But even if you were to give every single one away you would still be exactly where you are.

In my opinion you need to find away to accept that the world, and living in it, is full of unknowns. You never really have control over anything except yourself. YOU are the only thing that will ever be constant in your life. So you really need to treat yourself well, vety, very well. That means talking to yourself kindly. Being supportive of yourself and letting yourself off the hook for all the things you can't control.

So what, your room is full of plushies. You are not a drug addict, your room is not full of heroine or crack. Just cuddly, cute, plushies.

Maybe the problem is that the room is too small, not that you have too many! Make creating your room into a haven for your plushies a fun project. Pack a bunch away into storage boxes, hang a cutain from the ceiling to conceal the boxes and use shelves or tables to display some of your collection. Hand a sign on the door "free hugs".

Above all, be your very best advocate. You can't control the world but you can feel better in it.

Yay Suzette. Great advice.

Some people collect plushies better then some other choices. It's okay to be disgruntled about life. It's how we decide to use this information that propels us to the next step in life. For you: a bigger place, downsizing, more artistry and you really pursuing your goals to support your plushie family (who never fights). This could be growth or a it could be new obsession. Imelda Marcos was really into shoes.

As others have suggested, there are many others that collect. Open up an eBay store, put what you want up for auction. No one said you have to get rid of everything,...but sometimes things just need to be "thinned out" a bit. Perhaps you have some "special ones", perhaps rare, limited editions, etc. that you want to keep for yourself,...and the others,...someone will put a bid on them.
I can tell you ain't a hoarder :D

Hoarding is an addiction, and just like any addiction, you don't choose it, it chooses you ;)

Hoarder comedians here, live viral feed in 10- 5 - 1 where the collections tie up the web and shut it down.......

There is nothing wrong with your hoarding. Who ever gave you that notion? People hoard. We are like hamsters. :)

In fact, I would say someone who never hoards has no life and is a boring wretch. This means you have personality and character.

In fact, you have inspired me to hoard more.

What, friends, should I hoard?

There are some schools of thought that suggest hoarding; in the truest sense of the word, is a form of control resulting from feeling like one has little or no control over other areas in life.

I can't see a problem with it if isn't negatively impacting self or others.

'Letting go' (of items and their attachment) is generally believed to be the biggest hurdle amongst hoarders.

Each item has high value. The process in choosing which item/s to let go of can be a lengthy one.
I'd equate it to asking a person which limb or vital organ they'd like to get rid of.

I believe collecting & hoarding to be two separate things albeit with a fine line between them.
The joy & sense of achievement (and massive dopamine rush) for collectors can be highly addictive and shape future behaviour.

I believe the hoarding compulsion to be borne from fear. Not much joy to be had. More a sense of desperation but again, compulsion shaping future behaviour.

@GrownupGirl,
arrange your stash in such a way as to allow more access in and around the room.
Wall storage worked for me. Mr Gracey built a bank of wall cupboards, with doors for me.
It freed up space for others and provided me my own freely accessible space to do with as I wish.

If wall mounted storage is beyond you, there are many options available out there - metal racking, drawer storage units (stackable) and so on...
... until you're ready to let go of some of your things :)

Lose the guilt & anxiety too. It is what it is.
Spend some time carefully considering your options :)

Last edited:
Collecting, in itself, is not wrong/evil. Your problem sounds like your plushie collecting has gotten out of your control, and it no longer brings you joy. This sounds like compulsive hoarding, albeit relatively mild. Compulsive hoarding is now considered a separate disorder from OCD-related hoarding or depression-related hoarding. Maybe you need to seek professional help if you truly feel this way about your plushie hoard and the way you view it. It sounds like you know you have a problem, which is a really difficult first step.

New Threads

Top Bottom