• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling... a little lost and sad

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I popped into a site called: Yahoo Answers, just to see if there were any interesting questions to answer ( it used to be fantastic, but lost that and only sometimes, some thought provocating questions) and much to my dismay, saw a sign to say they are shutting down indefinately, which is so typical of that site, really, as they have changed format many times, without even bothering to discuss or let us choose etc.

I knew it was going to be hard for me, as I have been using that site for more than 10 year's now and so, even though they said that they were allow a sort of gentle time to get ones used to not having it anymore, I figured it is best if I did a "cold turkey" and so, got rid of it. However, horribly, I am feeling a sense of mourning and if I admit it, hope that they change their mind.

I popped into a site called: Yahoo Answers, just to see if there were any interesting questions to answer ( it used to be fantastic, but lost that and only sometimes, some thought provocating questions) and much to my dismay, saw a sign to say they are shutting down indefinately, which is so typical of that site, really, as they have changed format many times, without even bothering to discuss or let us choose etc.

I knew it was going to be hard for me, as I have been using that site for more than 10 year's now and so, even though they said that they were allow a sort of gentle time to get ones used to not having it anymore, I figured it is best if I did a "cold turkey" and so, got rid of it. However, horribly, I am feeling a sense of mourning and if I admit it, hope that they change their mind.
I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way.
Like me, with some sites, do you think you may have got addicted to it?
This can open up more questions for you.
What did you like about it?
What kept you coming back for more?

Perhaps, and it is just a guess, social media has taken over and possibly replaced certain types of site. We were just having a conversation on an NT site with forums on, about how one particular forum has "lost something", become quieter, not what it used to be etc, and a forum member put it down to social media?

Of course social media is addictive, well, the internet is, full stop.

No wonder you are feeling a little lost and sad.

It's about trying to replace unhealthy things with healthy things.
Healthy things that we enjoy.
Psychologically healthy, physically healthy etc.

Change is not easy for us. Especially sudden withdrawal of things we were attached to.
You are not alone.

Another site I like to use to answer questions at (and get information from) is city-data.com/forum. It is mostly NTs of course, and the crowd can be a bit rough, but they are well meaning overall.

I used to have Yahoo mail and I liked seeing the news headlines as I checked my email. I gave up my Yahoo account when it appeared that some emails were being blocked if they had multiple addresses in the "To" field. Or perhaps if the sender was a Gmail account. Totally arbitrary, and I was missing some business addresses that I needed to hear from. I still don't like Gmail as much as I liked Yahoo mail, but there was no looking back. These big companies don't care what the effect is on end users, they make changes willy nilly based on what they THINK is in the company's best interest.

New Threads

Top Bottom