• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite native-tongue videos that are not by native English speakers

Myrtonos

So a lot of vloggers who are native speakers of other languages have to think about whether to make videos in English or their native language. Many think they will have a bigger reach if they make videos in English and a bigger subscriber base.
The thing is; If you make it in your native language with English subtitles, any literate English speaking viewers will still be able to follow you even if they don't know your language. Also, what about native speakers of your own language whose English isn't good enough to understand a video in English, and maybe even if their English is good enough, they might still rather hear their own language when watching a video by a fellow native-speaker...

And if you are a native speaker of another language, how about translating this into your language:
...because let us be honest: If a vlogger is a native [insert name of your language here] speaker, then his or her videos often sound better in [your language].

By the way, does anyone here like any of these videos and also would like to post the ones they like? But remember, this is an English-language site, so only videos with English subtitles. If you embed the video, you include a bold red abbreviation with the I.S.O code of the vlogger's native language and whether the subtitles are closed captions or hard subs. So for example:
If the video is in German with closed captions, the abbreviation is DEwCC and if in Greek with hard-subs, the abbreviation is ELwSUB.

And finally, a note to translators:
If you want to include a native tongue video that doesn't yet have English subtitles, add them or get someone to add them before you post it here.

Last edited:
I can not do subtitles. I can not read one word when someone is saying a different word. Even at church, if I'm reading along but have a different translation Bible I have to put mine down and just listen.
What if the person did 2 videos? One in their own language, and one in English?

You said, "I can not do subtitles". Whatever that means, this thread is not for you if you cannot.

If making voice-over videos, why not record the voice-over twice, or record in it in their own language and get someone else to re-record it in English? But this thread actually concerns videos of people speaking in front of cameras.

Not sure why you're still talking to me. But I was letting you know that
The thing is; If you make it in your native language with English subtitles, any literate English speaking viewers will still be able to follow you even if they don't know your language.
is not always true if it's a matter of interpreting a different language.

I like @Autistamatic's subtitles because I can read along with what he is saying and if I miss something because my hearing isn't so great, I've read along and don't miss anything, but it still matches what he is saying. Trying to read subtitles while hearing different words, I'm trying to separate what I'm hearing with what I'm reading in my mind and I just can't separate the information my brain is getting.

That's all I was trying to say, but, as you pointed out - this is not a thread for me, so okay then.

Trying to read subtitles while hearing different words, I'm trying to separate what I'm hearing with what I'm reading in my mind and I just can't separate the information my brain is getting.
Another way to separate what you are reading from what the person in front of the camera is speaking is to just watch the video without the sound. Sound off - Subs on

Then I'd prefer to read a book or an article where I can read at my own pace and not at the speaking person's pace. The combination of speaking/reading is good - I hear some and I read some - but together it makes sense and I get all the information. Just trying to read at someone's speaking voice is usually a little faster than I read and I always miss out on the last couple words. I think it's how my vision works - I see one thing at a time, including words - I see and read one word at a time. I wouldn't say I'm a slow reader, but I'm not a fast reader.
I'm thinking you are asking for opinions to help you with something you're doing, but I could be wrong and this is just a topic you are just wanting to talk about - so I'm not sure what kind of response you're wanting.

Then I'd prefer to read a book or an article where I can read at my own pace and not at the speaking person's pace.
You can pause the video if you take too long, or even adjust the playback speed of videos, click on the Settings icon and then select Playback speed.
Just trying to read at someone's speaking voice is usually a little faster than I read and I always miss out on the last couple words.
I often find I can read subtitles faster than someone is speaking and have a similar problem with same-language subtitling, though only with the sound on as well, and hard-coded same-language subtitles are a really bad idea, I'm not saying that because of my own feelings about them, but because most who are watching with the sound on don't need to see them.

Imagine if an American vlogger, native English-speaking, made all their videos, say, in Spanish. Or imagine a British vlogger, native English speaking, making all their videos in some continental language, such as French.

I found one by a German man living in California.
DEwCC
His videos are in German but alas this is the only one with English subtitles.

Just some information for people from non-English speaking countries, especially if you plan to make your own videos:
When other sorts of motion picture content (like feature films and T.V shows) originally in another language are shown in English-speaking countries, they are often shown in the original with English subtitles, not dubbed. This is often the case for foreign T.V shows televised in English-speaking countries, especially here in Australia on S.B.S television, and for movies screened in cinemas in these countries.
So yes, there's a reason to believe that plenty of us will also watch a video of yours in your native language with English subtitles, something to consider if you also intend to reach your home audience.
At the moment, some vloggers in your might make videos in the local language and others might make then in English, but there is a good chance that even those making them in their native language rarely caption them in any other language, including English. I aim to change that and it seems that @Progster would also like to change that.

One other native-tongue video by Esy also has subtitles:
CSwCC
What if the person would have to cut down the amount of content they did in one of those languages if they did it in the other?

Sure if they do two videos a week, better they do at least half in their native language unless all for a foreign audience.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom