• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite ethnic foods?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am a huge fan of Thai food, personally. Especially pad see ew with beef.

I also enjoy eating Indian curries.

What are your favorite ethnic foods?

I'm obsessed with Japanese (yosenabe) hot pot, it's the textures and tastes when made well that I love. Difficult to find all the ingredients for, time consuming to make properly. So I don't make it often.

Soba noodles with tempura vegetables and shrimp.

Greek mousakka

Maritime corn or clam chowder

German hot pretzels

Raclette

Chinese moon cakes and red bean buns.

Last edited:
Love moon cakes, anything with lemon grass, green mango Thai salad, Chinese bitter melon, Chinese black bean, Korean red bean deserts, Korean pickled vegetables, Philippino pansit noodles, anything with Thai holy basil, Vietnamese style pho. Korean sesame donuts. Green curry. Borscht soup, mochi, and lo mein noddles. Fresh Chinese style taro cake. Okay - Singapore noodles too.

Most asian food. I have a bit of a fascination with snacks and food packaging and Korean snacks/ramen are great. Japanese ramen,sushi,and street food is amazing and I love Chinese food especially dim sum.

Spaghetti bolognaise

Most thin pizzas, especially the one with salad in the centre at Pizza Express

Most Chinese food, a friend of a friend cooks for us occasionally wow home cooked Chinese food is awesome.

Curries, I made a nice lamb curry from a curry cookbook, and some of the bottled sauces are quite good, but mostly I would get takeaway as it's quite an art to make a good curry.

Everything except my home country cuisine (not great) would qualify as ethnic I guess :p

I do like a lot of different European ones, but if we're talking "exotic", authentic Thai is definitely my favourite. But I often cook Japanese and Indian dishes too and recently went to an Ethiopian restaurant: they had a very spicy tartare there that was out of this world good.

I used to travel a lot and the restaurant I loved the most was in Tallin (Estonia), I look forward to going there again when it's safer to travel, it's generally a very nice place.

@BenderRodriguez *ooh* i like ethiopian too!
reading through the posts I was wondering what constitutes ethnic really .... I was really lucky to grow up in Singapore which rightly is considered a food Paradise. Many Asian cuisines especially South, southeast and Eastern Asian are home-grown for me (lucky me, eh?!). if we go with the idea that any cuisine that wasnt local when you grew up is ethnic then the vegan versions of some of these asian cuisines - especially Indonesian - have been pretty mind-blowing.
I only discovered Northern African /Moroccan when I came to Europe as an adult and Mezze has been a fabulous discovery! Also some of the particular ingredients and cooking styles of southern Italy such as burrata, cime di rape and oriechette have being such lovely culinary discoveries.

I've worked in Singapore for a year and it is indeed a food paradise, they can make the simplest thing out of the world good. Spending time there taught me that my aversion to certain veggies was actually due to the way they were (over)cooked and made me willing to give absolutely anything a chance at least once, I don't care how weird or disgusting it sounds :blush: We're often culturally conditioned not to diversify and explore different ways of cooking things or diversify our basic ingredients; a lot of people just stick to what they know and they're missing out big time.

definitely! What I never developed a taste for, however, are sea cucumbers... I think its the slimy texture...
And, related to the culturally conditioned concept: insects. Such a shame as I believe they would be a good source of protein. I have no problem feeding them to animals in the course of my work but eating them myself, even when unrecognisable eg as falafel makes me physically ill. Weird, eh?

*lol* so is one of my dogs (the little one in my avatar)... he Ioves broccoli and carrots too. But now I'm getting way off topic!

Thai food is probably my #1 cuisine that I would be happy with if I could never eat anything else for the rest of my life.

Mexican is a close second.

No question- Mexican Food. Ever since I was a child.

With Italian food as a distant second.

My favorite ethnic foods include:
Anything Asian
Indian (and I can make an amazing chicken curry!)
Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/Greek

I also love a good pizza or burger, but only if I make it myself. American food is too heavy for me, although I love to make a good meat and veggie meal for myself.

Just giving a shout out for Indonesian food. Learnt to love it when I was in the Netherlands - its spicy but not hot spicy.

Just giving a shout out for Indonesian food. Learnt to love it when I was in the Netherlands - its spicy but not hot spicy.
Can confirm as a Dutch person in a neighborhood with a lot of Indonesians: it’s great.

Truly l wanted to go to Singapore for the street food. Before Covid, l had it planned sorta as a fantasy trip. l esearched (made up word), all the food choices.

New Threads

Top Bottom