• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fashion - Are men turned off by color names that sound feminine?

Pink Jazz

I wonder, in the fashion world, does anyone think that men get turned off by color names that sound feminine? I have so many IZOD shirts in a shade of pink known as "Fairy Tale", an Arrow shirt in a shade of pink known as "Almond Blossom", and a Chaps shirt in a shade of pink known as "Blossom". One discovery that I made that I think seems like an extreme example is one of IZOD's new Fall 2019 pullover fleeces in a shade of pink known as "Ballerina".

I wonder, does anyone think some men get turned off by these color names? I think the Fairy Tale, Almond Blossom, and Blossom names are cute, but Ballerina is a bit extreme. Some of these color names come from Pantone, a widely used source by the fashion industry.

Perhaps it could vary by the brand's target audience. The preppy brands might be more flexible about choosing color names vs. other brands.

My husband doesnt look at the names of colors when he shops for clothes. If he did, he wouldnt buy anything called Ballerina or with the word fairy in it.

My husband doesnt look at the names of colors when he shops for clothes. If he did, he wouldnt buy anything called Ballerina or with the word fairy in it.
Of course it would be hard to avoid if you shop online.

As for the pink Ballerina fleece, I will probably skip it, not because of the name, but because I have enough pink fleeces (three in Cradle Pink and one in Fairy Tale), and since it doesn't get cold enough to wear them often where I live, I don't think I need any more of them.

Last edited:
I wonder, in the fashion world, does anyone think that men get turned off by color names that sound feminine? I have so many IZOD shirts in a shade of pink known as "Fairy Tale", an Arrow shirt in a shade of pink known as "Almond Blossom", and a Chaps shirt in a shade of pink known as "Blossom". One discovery that I made that I think seems like an extreme example is one of IZOD's new Fall 2019 pullover fleeces in a shade of pink known as "Ballerina".

I wonder, does anyone think some men get turned off by these color names? I think the Fairy Tale, Almond Blossom, and Blossom names are cute, but Ballerina is a bit extreme. Some of these color names come from Pantone, a widely used source by the fashion industry.

Perhaps it could vary by the brand's target audience. The preppy brands might be more flexible about choosing color names vs. other brands.
A fashion discussion? HERE?!?! The last time the subject came up, the general consensus was most of us don't care about fashion. Personally, I have the fashion sense of the average garden slug, and don't care what the color name is, as long as it is not bright, and is blue, green, tan or something similar. Occasional deep red or yellow is OK. I'm not picky.

Last edited:
I'm not into fashion, but find Pink Jazz's threads interesting nevertheless. Sometimes it's not about the fashion itself but something more like people's psychology with it.

Just as trivia, I think the association of pink with femininity could be cultural, and something learned. At least I know in one period (Napoleonic) it was widely used in military uniforms. In french the word for pink is 'rose'.

ca77e5c206406ce14ac095524030eeca.jpg

Frankly I don't pay much attention if any to designated colors of much of any article of clothing.

I just go by how it looks- not how it sounds.

Just as trivia, I think the association of pink with femininity could be cultural, and something learned. At least I know in one period (Napoleonic) it was widely used in military uniforms. In french the word for pink is 'rose'.

Reminds me of the Germans in World War Two who used color in a profoundly contradictory manner.

On one hand the piping color (Waffenfarbe) on their uniforms denoted pink (or rose) for Panzer troops. Yet they also used a pink (or rose) triangle to denote GLBT concentration camp prisoners. In terms of color alone, it would seem they confused their badges of honor and shame. :confused:

2nd Mountain Division / 137th Gebirgsjäger Regiment Homepage - Branch Colors (Waffenfarben)

https://www.history.com/news/pink-triangle-nazi-concentration-camps

Last edited:
A fashion discussion? HERE?!?! The last time the subject came up, the general consensus was most of us don't care about fashion. Personally, I have the fashion sense of the average garden slug, and don't care what the color name is, as long as it is not bright, and blue, green, tan or something similar. Occasional deep red or yellow is OK. I'm not picky.

Aye, pretty much. Frankly I didnt even know color names could sound feminine. I mean... there's only 7 colors in the spectrum....

The idea of a color being called "fairy tale" baffles me.

I think most people... even those that pick out their outfits carefully... probably dont look at those designer-decided color names. Those seem like the sort of thing designed to make it easier to sort stuff on online shopping sites. You cant just call every single thing "purple" when you have an online list of like 500 items. And even then, most probably still just look at the picture regardless.

As for the hue, Ballerina is a very purple-toned pink, even moreso than Fairy Tale. Normally Fairy Tale is included in IZOD's spring/summer collections rather than fall/winter. I can understand Fairy Tale being a spring/summer color since fairies are often associated with springtime. Fall/winter 2019 is the first time I have ever seen Ballerina in any IZOD collection.

Last edited:
Any color names that are made-up and not actually color names like red or blue turn me off, but I'm sure I'm just ignorant. :eek:

I wonder, does anyone think some men get turned off by these color names?

I don't shop for men's clothes as I'm a woman and men's clothes don't fit, but I've just asked my (NT) husband if the colour names - fairy/ballerina/blossom etc would put him off.

He said no. If he liked the item of clothing, how it's marketed by labelling with a (ridiculous) name would not impact his decision.

Knowing him, he probably wouldn't even notice it'd been labelled Fairy Pink :)

Back in the 80s and early 90s I wore neon pink.

Based on just a name, and nowhere on the clothing naming it, I wouldn't care. I'd choose it or not based on what the color actually looked like.

Mine probably wouldn't either - he would never buy pink, yet he buys Fairy liquid. Except that's usually green.

Mine probably wouldn't either - he would never buy pink, yet he buys Fairy liquid. Except that's usually green.

What the heck is "Fairy liquid"?

I've never heard that before, and it conjures up alot of rather alarming mental images.

The association used to be exactly opposite to what it is today for some time, so pink was the "masculine colour" while blue was associated with girls.
I had read the theory mentioned in this article (Here's Why it All Changed: Pink Used to be a Boy's Color & Blue For Girls) before "that blue was associated with the Virgin Mary, hence its more feminine connotations, while pink was linked to red, which was seen as a strong and masculine color."

The psychological influence of colour could be changing how men value what they value , pink is just for calmness .

New Threads

Top Bottom