• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Family Troubles (Rant)

A_Screaming_Turtle

As you all know, I only post threads when I do not have a outlet to rant (and it's been a while)and I've learned that it's necessary to rant to move on. Here's my situation:

First incident: It's the second time this week that my younger brother tried to fight me. One involved a haircut (he's not bright) and the other incident involved a vacuum (yes, I said a vacuum). My brother wanted to get a haircut so he asked me to take him to the barbershop. I looked at him as his hair just needed a trim and no major haircut. I asked him, "Didn't you just get a haircut last week?" And he became angry with me and started telling me stuff. And I walked away because I didn't want to fight, but he tried to rile me up to engage him. (I can take him.). My mom was there and didn't do much, but I let it go eventually.

The second incident: Today, I was cleaning my room and needed the vacuum. It was in my brothers room and I asked him why the vacuum was unrolled and he gave me an attitude of why it's not necessary to roll it up even though it's been like that for days. We went back and forth and it escalated to him threatening me and challenging me to a fight. He's a wimp who called the cops on me one time. (Don't ask.) Well I already knew what kind of person he is so I avoided that confrontation and I called my parents about the situation. They sat him down and told him stuff, but they let him off easy, so I told my parents that if he does that again, I'll call the cops on him. Of course they get mad at me even though I get harassed by my 19 year old brother. NT's are just so....biased when it comes to justice.

Synopsis: Younger brother tries to start fights and gets off easy. He doesn't have a job, he has a girlfriend, but can't support her. Oh, and I also respected my older brother who's an asshole even though I never liked him, but never called the cops on him. Ugh...If only I had the money to move out.

(Yes, I know the solution is to move out and I've been applying for low income housing as I can't afford to live on my own, but it just irks me that I have to see this little kid every day.)

Also, it's 3am here and if it's incoherent then forgive me as I just wanted to rant and let it go eventually.

the problem is a lot of human males are extremely selfish and your parents enable it remind them stressful incidents make you ill and your brother is much healthier than you !!!
As you all know, I only post threads when I do not have a outlet to rant (and it's been a while)and I've learned that it's necessary to rant to move on. Here's my situation:

First incident: It's the second time this week that my younger brother tried to fight me. One involved a haircut (he's not bright) and the other incident involved a vacuum (yes, I said a vacuum). My brother wanted to get a haircut so he asked me to take him to the barbershop. I looked at him as his hair just needed a trim and no major haircut. I asked him, "Didn't you just get a haircut last week?" And he became angry with me and started telling me stuff. And I walked away because I didn't want to fight, but he tried to rile me up to engage him. (I can take him.). My mom was there and didn't do much, but I let it go eventually.

The second incident: Today, I was cleaning my room and needed the vacuum. It was in my brothers room and I asked him why the vacuum was unrolled and he gave me an attitude of why it's not necessary to roll it up even though it's been like that for days. We went back and forth and it escalated to him threatening me and challenging me to a fight. He's a wimp who called the cops on me one time. (Don't ask.) Well I already knew what kind of person he is so I avoided that confrontation and I called my parents about the situation. They sat him down and told him stuff, but they let him off easy, so I told my parents that if he does that again, I'll call the cops on him. Of course they get mad at me even though I get harassed by my 19 year old brother. NT's are just so....biased when it comes to justice.

Synopsis: Younger brother tries to start fights and gets off easy. He doesn't have a job, he has a girlfriend, but can't support her. Oh, and I also respected my older brother who's an asshole even though I never liked him, but never called the cops on him. Ugh...If only I had the money to move out.

(Yes, I know the solution is to move out and I've been applying for low income housing as I can't afford to live on my own, but it just irks me that I have to see this little kid every day.)

Also, it's 3am here and if it's incoherent then forgive me as I just wanted to rant and let it go eventually.

the problem is a lot of human males are extremely selfish and your parents enable it remind them stressful incidents make you ill and your brother is much healthier than you !!!

The entire population is more selfish than not. This is not a male issue. There are a lot of unselfish persons though too. Neither gender is better there. Whereas males more often want to solve problems, and solve many problems, after initial support, women can show more support. Both many men and women work hard for their families. That shows unselfishness. Men give just as much as women, in varying ways, with often less needs than women, if anything.

I agree that the parents are enabling the older brother though. The parents need to set rules and boundaries as it is their place. If the parents are lenient, anarchy will result. More behavior problems will flourish. So, part of the older brother's behavior is because they allow things to get out of control. Unfortunately, it will be the brothers who start distancing themselves from each other because of the parents being submissive.

This does not excuse the brother's actions, if the goal for him is to create some fight. It sounds like he is very sensitive to criticism, or needing things done in precise ways. I am not sure if either of the brothers has a diagnosed condition. I could give better explanation if I knew, as there could be other issues involved. So, if the original poster can explain more, I could see if his condition was causing him to act certain ways, or was the result from lenient parenting, or both.

You're right. My parents are enablers and have a history of doing it. My mom controls the house and my dad just lets it go by. What's funny is that they're both theists, so when I pull up scripture to show that the man is the head of the household, they get angry. My mom is also a manipulative person where she gossips and claims to be Christian. SMH. I believe in God too, but I doubt God would be happy in a situation where a believers household is a hostile situation where my brothers get a slap on the wrist and when I do something wrong (I'm not perfect), my parents threaten to call the cops on me. Ugh! I'm looking for emergency housing because it's gotten this bad and the cops won't do anything (They're useless) and I've applied in low housing already. Now it's just a waiting game.

You're right. My parents are enablers and have a history of doing it. My mom controls the house and my dad just lets it go by. What's funny is that they're both theists, so when I pull up scripture to show that the man is the head of the household, they get angry. My mom is also a manipulative person where she gossips and claims to be Christian. SMH. I believe in God too, but I doubt God would be happy in a situation where a believers household is a hostile situation where my brothers get a slap on the wrist and when I do something wrong (I'm not perfect), my parents threaten to call the cops on me. Ugh! I'm looking for emergency housing because it's gotten this bad and the cops won't do anything (They're useless) and I've applied in low housing already. Now it's just a waiting game.
they seem very old testament apart from not being a patriarchal family
its yes now i realise your mother dominates and your father likes domination its easier
theyve obviously agreed this
pray for them Jesus came for the sick not the perfect

they seem very old testament apart from not being a patriarchal family
its yes now i realise your mother dominates and your father likes domination its easier
theyve obviously agreed this
pray for them Jesus came for the sick not the perfect

It's hard to pray for people that don't care about you, but their own interests. *Sigh...It's a sick cycle because they lie so much and when I call them out on it with evidence of course, they lie even more and try to justify it with "muh authoritah". As if being a parent makes them perfect. Well I already told them I'm going to move out this month, even if I have to live out on the streets, I'd rather take my chances than surround myself with backstabbing hypocrites who want nothing more than to see you suffer. They threatened to call the cops on me before, but they couldn't do that to my brother who calls me out and tries to fight me in front of them. I'm just so angry right now because NT's get away with a lot of sh*t like this and I have no place to go or money to get a place.

The entire population is more selfish than not. This is not a male issue. There are a lot of unselfish persons though too. Neither gender is better there. Whereas males more often want to solve problems, and solve many problems, after initial support, women can show more support. Both many men and women work hard for their families. That shows unselfishness. Men give just as much as women, in varying ways, with often less needs than women, if anything.

I agree that the parents are enabling the older brother though. The parents need to set rules and boundaries as it is their place. If the parents are lenient, anarchy will result. More behavior problems will flourish. So, part of the older brother's behavior is because they allow things to get out of control. Unfortunately, it will be the brothers who start distancing themselves from each other because of the parents being submissive.

This does not excuse the brother's actions, if the goal for him is to create some fight. It sounds like he is very sensitive to criticism, or needing things done in precise ways. I am not sure if either of the brothers has a diagnosed condition. I could give better explanation if I knew, as there could be other issues involved. So, if the original poster can explain more, I could see if his condition was causing him to act certain ways, or was the result from lenient parenting, or both.

Ha! You should teach my parents how to parent. But seriously, they don't know what they're doing and rather keep their sons as a symbol of status (My mom has sibling rivalry like crazy) to show off in front of her siblings (my uncle and aunt) that her kids are better than theirs. How sad is that?! When I call her out on her bullsh*t, she gets angry/crazy and starts telling me to "respect muh authoritah" even though I've been following house rules, going to college, staying out of trouble, and report to them when my younger brother gets out of hand. Oh and to address your concerns, I have Asperger's and I'm the older brother here, my brother doesn't have it and he's the younger brother. He's just a punk who tries to be an alpha male and pick fights. I can't fight him or else I'll go to jail (again:|), so I'm left with 3 options:
1. Move out (Even if I have to be homeless)
2. stay and get harassed constantly with no consequences to the other party
3. Fight back and go to jail again (He doesn't care about the consequences, but I do)

I already explained to my parents about this and they don't care. They "want a happy family but can't kick out the scorner." They rather have the scorner who is violent than a person who's been out of trouble. And yes, he gets butt hurt if I give him a dirty look when he does dumb things. He's not the only sibling to do this type of stuff and get away with it. But that's another story for another time.

Oh and yeah, I minimize my contact with him even though I live with him, so you're right about that. ( I already minimize contact with my other brother who pulls this type of sh*t too.) And what's funny is that my parents believe in God but can't follow his rules of keeping your house in order. (I read half the bible so I know what scriptures they violate.) And when I bring that up they get mad. And they wonder why I have a hard time believing in God, when they can't follow the bible. Hypocrites.

Youve made a lot of comments about calling your parents out on stuff.

'When i bring it up..' etc they get mad.

Youll learn a lot more and your life will improve by thinking about why you need to bring it up.

Theres a lot of people in the wide world like your parents.

Bringing stuff up to those others will mean your life will follow a drama cycle that you dont need.

Change your words and deeds to create a different outcome.

Whether your parents are right or wrong will matter less.

It's hard to pray for people that don't care about you, but their own interests. *Sigh...It's a sick cycle because they lie so much and when I call them out on it with evidence of course, they lie even more and try to justify it with "muh authoritah". As if being a parent makes them perfect. Well I already told them I'm going to move out this month, even if I have to live out on the streets, I'd rather take my chances than surround myself with backstabbing hypocrites who want nothing more than to see you suffer. They threatened to call the cops on me before, but they couldn't do that to my brother who calls me out and tries to fight me in front of them. I'm just so angry right now because NT's get away with a lot of sh*t like this and I have no place to go or money to get a place.

I agree this is a very unhealthy situation for you. The parents seem to be favoring your younger brother, and are less hard on him. Low cost housing will help. In the meantime while waiting for that, if things get too bad, do you have another relative or a friend or their family that could take you in? Or does nobody come to mind? Do you have no income, or a part time or full time job? I am just thinking of the best ways to get you out of this mess. What is your parents' attitude when you tell them you will have to leave?

Youve made a lot of comments about calling your parents out on stuff.

Well...yeah, it's called a rant.

'When i bring it up..' etc they get mad.

You're taking things out of context and I can already tell that you've didn't read the entire post. Also, are you suggesting that I keep quiet even if the injustice happens. And don't you think that I haven't tried that before in the past? Hmmm...next time read the entire post.

Youll learn a lot more and your life will improve by thinking about why you need to bring it up.

Flawed advice. If I didn't bring it up, then my NT parents would ask me why I haven't said anything before which brings me back to your previous response to my-out-of-context of "when I bring it up..". In other words, if I keep quiet about things, I get screwed over, if I do bring it up then I still get screwed over. It's a lose/lose situation.

Theres a lot of people in the wide world like your parents.

Yeah? And a lot of other normal parents who listen to their kids and their concern.

Bringing stuff up to those others will mean your life will follow a drama cycle that you dont need.

So in other words, I cause drama. Hmmm...Obviously you don't know what you're talking about because if you've met me in real life, you'd see that I'm a law abiding citizen that keeps to himself. I really do.

Change your words and deeds to create a different outcome.

??? Like walking away or moving out? I already addressed this but thank you.

Whether your parents are right or wrong will matter less.

Ugh....They're actually wrong, but thank you for your timeless advice.

Ha! You should teach my parents how to parent. But seriously, they don't know what they're doing and rather keep their sons as a symbol of status (My mom has sibling rivalry like crazy) to show off in front of her siblings (my uncle and aunt) that her kids are better than theirs. How sad is that?! When I call her out on her bullsh*t, she gets angry/crazy and starts telling me to "respect muh authoritah" even though I've been following house rules, going to college, staying out of trouble, and report to them when my younger brother gets out of hand. Oh and to address your concerns, I have Asperger's and I'm the older brother here, my brother doesn't have it and he's the younger brother. He's just a punk who tries to be an alpha male and pick fights. I can't fight him or else I'll go to jail (again:|), so I'm left with 3 options:
1. Move out (Even if I have to be homeless)
2. stay and get harassed constantly with no consequences to the other party
3. Fight back and go to jail again (He doesn't care about the consequences, but I do)

I already explained to my parents about this and they don't care. They "want a happy family but can't kick out the scorner." They rather have the scorner who is violent than a person who's been out of trouble. And yes, he gets butt hurt if I give him a dirty look when he does dumb things. He's not the only sibling to do this type of stuff and get away with it. But that's another story for another time.

Oh and yeah, I minimize my contact with him even though I live with him, so you're right about that. ( I already minimize contact with my other brother who pulls this type of sh*t too.) And what's funny is that my parents believe in God but can't follow his rules of keeping your house in order. (I read half the bible so I know what scriptures they violate.) And when I bring that up they get mad. And they wonder why I have a hard time believing in God, when they can't follow the bible. Hypocrites.

It sounds like your mom is the controlling one and her rules apply differently for you than your brother. Your Dad likely is afraid to do anything about it, as he does not want to invoke her wrath, but he is contributing to the severe situation, too. Your parents are almost identical to my wife's. Her Dad was the lenient one, and her mother a critical control freak who obsessed about image and status, and was so serious and hysterical if her image was tarnished, with pressure put on her daughter daily, to fit some professional image, without care for her daughter's emotional needs and personal desires and interests.

So, my wife had behavioral problems growing up because of that bad parenting. You know what is ironic? All those visits I had with my wife, during those eighteen months of visiting her in Canada, with each monthly visit being two to three weeks in duration at her mother's precious condominium, and with me putting so much effort to help her daughter through her issues and resolve things, that was never at all appreciated. Whereas I was always very respectful and polite, and did even the mother's own chores for her like sweeping her floor and washing and drying her own dishes even, and doing shopping for her, she hated me, as I was not a doctor or lawyer, or engineer. So, my wife and I came up with a plan to get her to leave that place for good, through re-location to the US, then marriage.

As your older brother does not have a diagnosed condition, it looks like his behavioral isssues is because of that parenting. I mean, it is starting to sound more and more like he has that unmotivated and irresponsible side, and feels he can say and do anything without consequence. He seems not to understand proper etiquette, or proper ways to avoid confrontation. In your case, that perceived unfairness in how he is acting and not being disciplined is justified, as you are held to a higher standard. If anything, your parents should have shown more understanding and attention to you, in terms of making sure your needs were met. It looks like they have given up on him, but hold out hope you will become something, so they treat you harsher.

As for the solutions, I do not recommend you being homeless or the fighting back physically options. If you cannot find a sane and caring friend or relative to take you in until you find a place of your own, I am wondering also if you can go to the county social services for emergency assistance. Explain to them your entire situation. Or can you talk to your Dad privately, too, to explain your severe concerns, and what you are planning? Would he listen and try to help, or side with your Mom and do nothing? Are you still in college, with job aspirations, or do you think it will be hard to work full time one day?

I know you do not deserve the treatment you are getting, so seriously another option could be: if you think a talk with either of your parents would help, I would be glad to give it a try. I am the type that likes resolving issues, in a calm, noncombative way. I speak the truth, but without desire to offend as irrational persons often will run away when such happens. I can give different perspective to things, and try to say things in a way that would make things better not just for you, but them all. Then they may more apt to listen, as your mom likely cannot be seen as wrong.

By answering some of those other questions too, I could give further direction, as more options would be available for me to consider.

Ugh....They're actually wrong, but thank you for your timeless advice.

Hopefully you'll realise at some point that life isnt always about being right.

In a wider sense, the only person that is 100% convinced they are right is a fool.

In this case you may be right, considering your approach with a wider perspective won't hurt and will help in the long run.

Hopefully you'll realise at some point that life isnt always about being right.

In a wider sense, the only person that is 100% convinced they are right is a fool.
In this case you may be right, considering your approach with a wider perspective won't hurt and will help in the long run.

I was sarcastic. Your Advice Is Flawed And I Adressed It Already In The Quote. (I'm Typing This On Tablet So Excuse The Grammar.) But Seriously, Read THe Entire post Next Time Instead Of Posting nonsense.

I was sarcastic. Your Advice Is Flawed And I Adressed It Already In The Quote. (I'm Typing This On Tablet So Excuse The Grammar.) But Seriously, Read THe Entire post Next Time Instead Of Posting nonsense.

Judgemental much :)
I know you were being sarcastic and i know my words are falling on stony ground.

Hey ho.

Sometimes people know more than you think they do.

Apparently not. Like I said before, read the entire post next time. Don't just read one response and give advice based on that. Synopsis: My parents excuse everything that my siblings do and only punish me if I get out of line, but your advice was excusing them and putting the entire blame on me for their actions. (And for the record, dysfunctional families do exist.)

ac75 civil.png

Hi guys. You both are Aspies and good guys, but just express a bit differently, so try to understand that.

Fridgemagnetman, try to see that A_Screaming_Turt is just venting and he feels he has a right to get upset at his parents as they are tolerating abuses against him, causing abuse, and singling him out for things and enabling the brother. That could be a build up of frustration over many years of bad treatment and favoritism. I can read between the emotion and rant and see a really great guy that is frustrated.

But, to be fair, A_Screaming_Turt, I too have had my many days where I told my parents exactly what I thought of them, too. It did make me feel good to do that on those few occasions, and I do not regret it as they deserved it, and as I had no choice but to have them see that extreme frustration. But, I eventually learned that was going nowhere, as the 2 parents were irrational and could not admit wrong. They used those harsh words I told them as an excuse to hate me more.

So, I see you both as right, as I feel Fridgemagnetman was likely just saying that yelling directly at your parents is not constructive, and to try to resolve things more peacefully if possible, where the original poster felt he had no choice to do that as they were not listening all those years and contributing to the family problem. So, let's try to get back to supporting and finding solutions. Thanks.

Hi guys. You both are Aspies and good guys, but just express a bit differently, so try to understand that.

Fridgemagnetman, try to see that A_Screaming_Turt is just venting and he feels he has a right to get upset at his parents as they are tolerating abuses against him, causing abuse, and singling him out for things and enabling the brother. That could be a build up of frustration over many years of bad treatment and favoritism. I can read between the emotion and rant and see a really great guy that is frustrated.

But, to be fair, A_Screaming_Turt, I too have had my many days where I told my parents exactly what I thought of them, too. It did make me feel good to do that on those few occasions, and I do not regret it as they deserved it, and as I had no choice but to have them see that extreme frustration. But, I eventually learned that was going nowhere, as the 2 parents were irrational and could not admit wrong. They used those harsh words I told them as an excuse to hate me more.

So, I see you both as right, as I feel Fridgemagnetman was likely just saying that yelling directly at your parents is not constructive, and to try to resolve things more peacefully if possible, where the original poster felt he had no choice to do that as they were not listening all those years and contributing to the family problem. So, let's try to get back to supporting and finding solutions. Thanks.

To Dadwithtwoautisticsons,

I have no problem with people's advise, but his wasn't 100% correct and I addressed it with my rebuttal in the "quote" (which for some reason Aspiecentral won't let me copy and paste so I added my response to the "quote".) For example, he basically told me to change my words (which I have btw) in arguments and told me that life isn't about being right, which I partially agree with, (but the other party is sometimes going to be in the wrong.) In a nutshell, he was partially right. And I'll admit that I shouldn't have told him off (my apologies), but it frustrates me when people talk about things they don't fully understand. Also, I labeled this as rant because I have nobody else to talk to since my mother twisted my other siblings minds into going against me. Seriously, I spoke to my other brother about certain issues with my parents and he took their side no matter what. Right now, I'm a one man island that has no one. (It's been like that for years, thanks to my over controlling mom.) In these types of situations, I do envy Neurotypicals as they are excellent in social skills and can call any of their friends. I have spoken to my parents in order to resolve this "war" we have and they don't care. They literally victimize themselves and make it all about them even if I'm the one that got hurt. It hurts because I really do want my parents to understand, but they don't care, they never did. As for the shelters: Well...it's a little complicated as I called homeless shelters. They're packed. I'll try the emergency ones, but the catch is I have to work and I can't because of my disability. (I have other disabilities other than Asperger's.)

Oh, and my mom offered to pay for half my apartment if I found one, but I don't trust her and declined her offer. She's twisted and mentally unstable. I'd rather take my chances on the streets than trust my enemies offer. I'll move out though without her help.

I have no problem with people's advise, but his wasn't 100% correct and I addressed it with my rebuttal in the "quote" (which for some reason Aspiecentral won't let me copy and paste so I added my response to the "quote".) For example, he basically told me to change my words (which I have btw) in arguments and told me that life isn't about being right, which I partially agree with, (but the other party is sometimes going to be in the wrong.) In a nutshell, he was partially right. And I'll admit that I shouldn't have told him off (my apologies), but it frustrates me when people talk about things they don't fully understand. Also, I labeled this as rant because I have nobody else to talk to since my mother twisted my other siblings minds into going against me. Seriously, I spoke to my other brother about certain issues with my parents and he took their side no matter what. Right now, I'm a one man island that has no one. (It's been like that for years, thanks to my over controlling mom.) In these types of situations, I do envy Neurotypicals as they are excellent in social skills and can call any of their friends. I have spoken to my parents in order to resolve this "war" we have and they don't care. They literally victimize themselves and make it all about them even if I'm the one that got hurt. It hurts because I really do want my parents to understand, but they don't care, they never did. As for the shelters: Well...it's a little complicated as I called homeless shelters. They're packed. I'll try the emergency ones, but the catch is I have to work and I can't because of my disability. (I have other disabilities other than Asperger's.)

Oh, and my mom offered to pay for half my apartment if I found one, but I don't trust her and declined her offer. She's twisted and mentally unstable. I'd rather take my chances on the streets than trust my enemies offer. I'll move out though without her help.

Ok, I really believe you about your situation, as both my wife and I had not exact but similar situations. We too had unfit parents, and we both could not wait to get away from home. It seems really an unhealthy place for you, the way you explained everything. It seems like you are facing things alone. If there is anything we can do to help, let us know. If you want to private message, that is fine as well, as I have more questions and may have other ideas to consider.

New Threads

Top Bottom