• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Shaun-Junior Bishop

Hi,

I'm undergoing the autism diagnoses but I'm 99% sure I'm an aspie after nearly 5 years of research and I just wanted to ask. I have this issue with looking at everything, when I'm outside or even in an environment I dont know I seem to flicker. When I say that I mean my eyes do this reparative movement flicking from left to up go down to right and I do this very fast. I tend to look at every thing that moves or is just not meant to be there and I just wondered if this is a common trait because I cant seem to find any research online about it.

Do you wear glasses?
How is your vision?

Are the fast eye movements voluntary?
Or involuntary?

Do you wear glasses?
How is your vision?

Are the fast eye movements voluntary?
Or involuntary?

I dont wear glasses but I did as a child until I was a teenager and then they told me I had perfect vision. The movements tend to happen without me having to think about it but I also do it as a method of stimming. I wear sunglasses nearly all day though

Would you say that you are doing the fast eye movements more for
A. seeing
B. the experience of moving your eyes

Would you say that you are doing the fast eye movements more for
A. seeing
B. the experience of moving your eyes
I really dont know, it's like my eyes want to focus on everything around me. It's more of the sensory part. Like when I get sensory input it tends to happen more. I would say it's more for the experience, only because sometimes I do it so fast I cant even see what I'm looking at and sometimes I cant control it when I'm anxious and it makes it harder to navigate society

This is a name for a certain type of rapid eye movements> Nystagmus - Wikipedia
There is a gif in the article that shows it.

Nystagmus
It doesn't sound like this is what you mean, but here's a link to read about it a little, anyway.

The reason I say it doesn't seem likely this is what you are meaning, is that
an eye doctor would have noticed and diagnosed this, if present during an
exam.

This is a name for a certain type of rapid eye movements> Nystagmus - Wikipedia
There is a gif in the article that shows it.

Nystagmus
It doesn't sound like this is what you mean, but here's a link to read about it a little, anyway.

The reason I say it doesn't seem likely this is what you are meaning, is that
an eye doctor would have noticed and diagnosed this, if present during an
exam.
Oh okay, it says on the page that it can developers later in life, I havent been to an eye doctor in over 5 years so maybe it's happened. I dont know what it is, it happens so often that people ask me why I do it and I just never know what to say

Maybe it's time to make an appointment with an eye doctor?
If nothing else, a professional could rule this out, if that's not
what happening.

Maybe it's time to make an appointment with an eye doctor?
If nothing else, a professional could rule this out, if that's not
what happening.
I just looked up some examples of the condition and I'm not sure that's what it is. The eye movements I have are very severe, like they aren't small rapid movements but big movements from left to right and all around my eyes. It's like my eyes move to the furthest point they can look then they just flicker to the other side and so on

@Shaun-Junior Bishop

I am not a person to diagnose your eye movements.
And you don't know what they are either.

This may be a neurological condition which has developed
since the last time you were examined by a doctor.

If it were me, I'd make an appointment with a physician,
and an opthalmologist.

Yes quite severely too, I always have sunglasses on even if it's a cloudy day but is still light. I wear them inside too, when I try and take them off and look around the brightness of everything is just too much and it nearly blinds me
Have you ever been test for irlene syndrone/ Scoptic Scope Sensitivity.

Yes quite severely too, I always have sunglasses on even if it's a cloudy day but is still light. I wear them inside too, when I try and take them off and look around the brightness of everything is just too much and it nearly blinds me
Ive worn sunglasses all my life, even when others dont feel its necessary.
Supermarkets are the worst!! Feel stupid wearing glasses in the indoor brightlight, but also like the barrier between me and other people.
Usually i wear a cap and pull it low, if late in day ill pull my hoodie up too. Theres just way too much going on in shops and its a bit of a sensory overload. I just try and cut out as much as poss with above mentioned physical barriers, reduces the "input"

I made a thread once about how I feel the need to look at every object in a room that I walk into for the first time, and many people here concurred.

Is that at all related?

I made a thread once about how I feel the need to look at every object in a room that I walk into for the first time, and many people here concurred.

Is that at all related?
It actually is, when I walk into some place knew I've very fidgety and my eyes go crazy looking at every detail.of a room and sometimes if I'm not doing something is class I catch myself just flickering between objects that I like the look of but I do it in a fast and repeated fashion

I do this all the time in both new places and places i regularly visit. It is exceptionally bad when having an over load though! I also have Irlens so that means that everything flickers anyway along with SPD meaning im just very sensitive to light

I do this all the time in both new places and places i regularly visit. It is exceptionally bad when having an over load though! I also have Irlens so that means that everything flickers anyway along with SPD meaning im just very sensitive to light
Do you mind me asking are you based in the UK? Only because I truly feel I may have Irlen syndrome because I keep getting told I have okay eye sight

New Threads

Top Bottom