• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eye Contact App, MiContact

Kevin1968

V.I.P Member
Just saw an interview with Ciara-Beth Griffin, a young Irish woman who has developed an app that she hopes will help improve eye contact.
Her aim is to improve employment prospects as a lot of employers typically consider lack of eye contact a negative thing.

MiContact

I think it's only on Apple currently.

This is a very bright idea. Just like social chit-chat, people on the spectrum have to understand the issue and do more than others to overcome it, if they care to deal with it at all. It just means that we have to practice more. I know I concentrate better if I am not looking directly at anything animate. That helps me thwart any ADD that might creep in by not being distracted by moving objects.

What we miss when we are not looking someone in the eyes is the related head movements, smiles, facial expressions, and other communication signs commonly expressed by the NT world. None of us knows how to manipulate body language because we don't know how body language communicates information to others. It's very subconscious. I am, though, curious to know what others see. I can only know that by seeing how it works on them.

This app is a good start. Learning how to look someone in the eyes is the first step in exercising it when we deem it important or necessary. I think that people on the spectrum have trouble recognizing faces because we never look at them with interest, nor do we even explore them. It's one of those skills we have to consciously learn. It doesn't come naturally.

What we miss when we are not looking someone in the eyes is the related head movements, smiles, facial expressions, and other communication signs commonly expressed by the NT world. None of us knows how to manipulate body language because we don't know how body language communicates information to others. It's very subconscious. I am, though, curious to know what others see. I can only know that by seeing how it works on them
Yes, we miss the ememes (emotional metamessage or hidden emotional communication), or fail to deliver the expected ememe.

New Threads

Top Bottom