• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Extrovert or copying people ?

FlowerFlo

I not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I currently noticed i like to be around people and interact wiht them. But i am not sure if i am just copying them and there emotions or if being around people accutally makes me happy.Or it is boht? I do copy ohter emotions like anger, which is the reason i am not sure. Do aspergers copy emotions?

Most of the time I am more blind to many emotions so I would not know what to copy. That said, There are groups I belong to that I honestly like being with. I enjoy talking to the people and hearing what they are up to. Plus they think contributions by my spouse and myself are worthwhile. A couple are heading for a little vacation in NYC this weekend and we recommended the musical SIX to them. They got tickets and I'm sure they will like that high energy production. When they told their children about that, the children, who know about SIX were excited for them.

Then on the hike to an overlook on Lake Michigan after breakfast, and we were talking about the natural history of the area with some newer people in the group. My spouse mentioned my work doing macroinvertebrate surveys in rivers and one guy brightened up turned to me, and said "You're the macroinvertebrate guy that I've been hearing about. It's nice to meet you." That made me feel good. As I have mentioned to others struggling with relationships, when you engage with others kindly, even though you may have different goals from your immediate interaction, you are developing a reputation, and you cannot predict the consequence of those interactions, but a positive reputation is socially valuable.

I think so. I believe it (copying) is a major component of masking. The models we build our masks from.

I also do not believe masking is bad or wrong in most cases. I think even NTs copy and mask to a greater or lesser extent. Dress style is an easy place to observe it.

So I think it can be both, copying and enjoying.

I would not question things to much if you find enjoyment in it. For myself, I have no connection whatsoever to any deep emotion other than anger, because I have frequently been both the object and issuer of such. I am old enough to have learned how to seem as others on a superficial level, but I seem to have an empty swallowing void at my core.

I mean, my only sister passed away suddenly two weeks ago. I should feel something other than the lack of feeling over her death that I am still working through. It is the same void that I fell into when my brother died at the age of 29. Same void again with the passing of my mother and again with my father. The big difference is that this is the first time I have had to deal with things in such an immediate way.

My point is, I can't copy others after spending my life avoiding confronting that void. I am not sure if it is even addressable at this point, but change is ever present and waiting to drag us in directions we might not be ready for.

Shoot for enjoyment and happiness in any way you can using whatever is innate within you. If others offer guides that you find useful, then there is nothing wrong with implementing them within yourself.

You have a lot of living left and the future always brings things that can surprise and educate. Just be true to yourself.

Mirror neurons. Yes. It's not limited to Asperger's. Go to any music concert, a comedy show, a funeral service, etc. The mood and emotions of a group.

Autism and the mirror neuron system: insights from learning and teaching

Social decision making in autism: On the impact of mirror neurons, motor control, and imitative behaviors

I have to wonder about loss & funerals.

We can attend a service because it's expected & mimic the solemnity required at a funeral,
but can we mirror the loss felt?
The loss, the grief, the sorrow, the sadness?
if we genuinely don't feel the depth of emotion surrounding us.

Mimicking action & behaviour is easy enough,
genuine emotion, not so much?

Mirror neurons. Yes. It's not limited to Asperger's. Go to any music concert, a comedy show, a funeral service, etc. The mood and emotions of a group.

Autism and the mirror neuron system: insights from learning and teaching

Social decision making in autism: On the impact of mirror neurons, motor control, and imitative behaviors
I see. There have been times when the mood was intoxicating. I used to go to Fitzgerald's in Berwyn when Brave Combo was in town. A span of ages there and everybody was happy. The dance floor was a big Polka, Mosh Pit! And I had fun when I'm normally claustrophobic in crowds.

but can we mirror the loss felt?
The loss, the grief, the sorrow, the sadness?
if we genuinely don't feel the depth of emotion surrounding us.

Mirror neurons activate within this context,...it would be something like crying along with someone who is actually feeling loss. You might not have been close with the deceased, but if your best friend lost her husband and she was crying,...you would cry with her.

I experienced this first hand with my brother when he died of cancer. I responded to his wife's profound grief,...and not my personal loss of my brother. I was quite confused by this. Timely conversation,...I've got to go to a funeral service tomorrow,...my wife's mother. My wife will be upset,...she will cry,...and I will cry with her,...not necessarily because of my loss of her mother passing away.

If you are experiencing sensations of pleasure and contentment, that's actual happiness you're feeling. Or you're on drugs.

New Threads

Top Bottom