• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Extreme anxiety that lead to depression, due to having hair cut and layered.

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Has this happened to anyone else? I mean, it was my choice, due to feeling fed up with long hair, but I regretted immediately my decision, when too late to do anything about it and afterwards, my mental health spiraled out of control.

My husband thinks it is a crazy notion that my hair caused this, but it does not take away that both happened at the same time ie hair cut and layed and severe anxiety and depression.

I am having to take anti depressants now and feel partially normal, but am sure the side effect is weakness.

Have chosen to not look up my meds, because anything negative, would stop me from taking them.

Well this specific thing has not happened to me, but I can confirm it makes perfect sense as far as I can see, and you can tell your husband I said so.

Hopefully once the hair has grown to a point where you can be less unhappy about it, you can review the medication and, perhaps having discussed it with your doctor, begin to reduce the dose. Maybe this could better be done after the Winter? No doubt you are acquainted with your own anxiety and depression and how the tides go. Mine are partly seasonal, which I believe is fairly common.

Meanwhile the side effects may lessen as your metabolism becomes accustomed to the chemicals. You've probably heard this already.

Well, I obviously can't know exactly what you experienced, but I can see how making a change to yourself, which you can't easily take back might cause extreme anxiety. I'm guessing you felt realy confident about your decision when you made it. Maybe when you saw yourself with short hair, the change was too big and it suddenly became uncomfortable. Add to that the fact that you can't just get your hair back and are stuck this way for a while and I can see why this might cause you such anxiety and depression.

There are times when I make (to me) relative risky decisions and usually do feel good about them in the moment. Once I get to thinking about what I did, I start to doubt. This can get so bad, that I will try everything within my power to undo whatever it is I did. If I weren't able to, I would feel trapped and might react that way.

It's never been to the extent where I had to take medication, so I obviously have no Idea how it feels to be in your situation. If you wat, you can take this as a tiny part of what you are experiencing. I think both circumstances might be related.

Not sure if it's relatable but I felt extreme discomfort my whole life because I only wore what A: my parents got for me when I was young or B: whatever was the first thing that fit me in a store. I didn't realize it at the time but now years later I'm letting myself take the time to actually figure what I like to wear and what clothing (and hair style) makes me comfortable.

I've had issues with my hair my whole life because I feel like it doesn't represent me because it wasn't the style that suited my inside mind. Once I am in the right hair cut or clothing I feel much more comfortable to face the day because at least I know that what people see when they look at me, seems like it looks like how I feel inside.

It's never been something that has caused me extreme anxiety, more like just a nagging thought added to the list of things I can't dal with at the moment but I know is bothering me. Making sure the the way I look is sorted out is just one less thing on my mind.

Well, autistic people are well known to have difficulty with change. I certainly do. Not long ago, I moved my bed about 12 inches to the right so that I could fit a table to the left of my bed. I felt horrendous anxiety after doing it, was completely disoriented, couldn’t sleep, and even thought and worried about it when I wasn’t even at home. I moved the bed back to its original position about 24 hours later.

So yes, your anxiety is understandable from an autistic viewpoint. If you’re a sensitive, anxiety-prone person as well, then your reaction is duly unsurprising.

Hair cut regret...been there. It takes a few days and you have to wash it and get the salon smell out of it.
Remember, if you don't like it after a few days, let it grow out. There are forums for people that want to grow their hair, or change it.

New Threads

Top Bottom