• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive Functioning

wanderer03

I struggle with executive functioning. Is there anyone else out there with the same struggles? If so, how did you overcome?

I think I probably do, particularly with planning and initiating tasks. A lot of the time it can be perceived as laziness by my family. I'd actually like to talk about it to my psychiatrist because I feel this could be at the root of my depression. I wish I had an answer in how to deal with it, I really do because it would allow me to function as a working member of society.

Here are the basics of executive function:

1. Analyze a task

2. Plan how to address the task

3. Organize the steps needed to carry out the task

4. Develop timelines for completing the task

5. Adjust or shift the steps, if needed, to complete the task

6. Complete the task in a timely way

I have executive function deficits, as stated in my ASD assessment. Things that I am really interested in and have a lot of time and energy to devote to, I can usually get by pretty well. I'll might still skip steps, but I can get the job done. Most of the time I'm pretty scattered.

I can analyze tasks, and get a rough plan on how to carry it out. But when I get rolling on a project, my focus and energy get stuck on one or two things, details usually, and I lose sight of the overall goal, so I'll often have to scramble to catch up.

The last few weeks of a project can get really hectic as I scramble to "adjust and shift steps" to "complete task in a timely way".

I can make decisions under pressure, they may not always be the best solution, but when I have time stretching out ahead of me, I'll be indecisive, getting stuck on the analysis.

Even things that I do on a daily basis, what could loosely be called my routines, can get mixed up if there is some distraction. Some would say that I'm undisciplined, but this lack of discipline is what started my years long process of finding out that I have ASD.

Last edited:
To answer the question on how I have overcome problems with executive function, it hasn't been about overcoming it, but trying to find strategies and processes to help me function better.

I make a total mess with paper filing, but I can manage to keep things reasonably organized in computer files, so I do as much as possible digitally.

I try to make a list each day, to remind me of things I need to do. I have no problem remembering appointments, meetings, special occasions, because those things will be on my mind all day. What I have trouble with is finding time to do small things like drop something off at the library, mail something, or work on some small project, or remember to get something needed for the next day.

Then there is just plain old time management. Totally screw that up on a near daily basis. I really struggle to be timely, have no ability to judge how long something will take me (multiply by 2 then add another hour, for me) and I fail to consider mishaps, detours, or other delays in my travel time estimates. I try to set up alarms on my phone to remind me, I have alarms that ring every day for the basics; time to be out of bed, time to leave for work, time to leave work, that sort of thing. Then I will add alarms as reminders of other non-daily things. I used to have an alarm go off on my watch every hour, to get me more aware of the passage of time, but that got annoying.

I only have problems when I have run my brain ragged, and then, hoo boy, do I have problems. I will do things like get takeout and blow off home tasks because I. just. can't. do. anything.

I can totally relate to this post. My recent self discovery was more due to a failed relationship, however my difficulty at executive functioning is now my driving force to gain insight into my struggles.

Hi. Reviving this thread because *I knew* I couldn't be the first or only one looking for help with "executive dysfunction."

To be honest, I still don't know what it is. I read the description in the link above, but everywhere I look I see these excessively academic definitions that usually refer somewhere to childhood development.

I'm not a child. I haven't been for 22 years. But I am dysfunctional left right and center. I can't do basic things like check my mail more than once a month and going to a store that I've never been to before can be downright paralyzing. It may take me days or weeks to work up the courage to go, and not because I'm actively afraid of anything happening, but because whenever I think about it, my mind spirals out of control with what if scenarios and then I can't tell what's more important or if I should wash the dishes first. I make lists daily to try and stay on top of things, but not having a routine or concrete markers to anchor myself to (like, for example a daily commute that passes by the grocery store that I can use to check in and find out if I need groceries) can leave me easily overwhelmed. I've found that subtle changes to my environment can mean half or double the amount of stuff I can accomplish in a day. It's frustrating and I don't know if I will ever be able to live alone or cope without help.

Can someone explain to me? Is this executive dysfunction? What do people do about it?

Hi. Reviving this thread because *I knew* I couldn't be the first or only one looking for help with "executive dysfunction."

To be honest, I still don't know what it is. I read the description in the link above, but everywhere I look I see these excessively academic definitions that usually refer somewhere to childhood development.

I'm not a child. I haven't been for 22 years. But I am dysfunctional left right and center. I can't do basic things like check my mail more than once a month and going to a store that I've never been to before can be downright paralyzing. It may take me days or weeks to work up the courage to go, and not because I'm actively afraid of anything happening, but because whenever I think about it, my mind spirals out of control with what if scenarios and then I can't tell what's more important or if I should wash the dishes first. I make lists daily to try and stay on top of things, but not having a routine or concrete markers to anchor myself to (like, for example a daily commute that passes by the grocery store that I can use to check in and find out if I need groceries) can leave me easily overwhelmed. I've found that subtle changes to my environment can mean half or double the amount of stuff I can accomplish in a day. It's frustrating and I don't know if I will ever be able to live alone or cope without help.

Can someone explain to me? Is this executive dysfunction? What do people do about it?

That is my impression. I've found in my case and others looking over and it and thinking "well, why can't he/she just do that?" doesn't make it any less the case (and is often how we're looked down on for it). Just two ideas to throw at you if for lack of anything helpful: meditation or neurofeedback therapy.

That is my impression. I've found in my case and others looking over and it and thinking "well, why can't he/she just do that?" doesn't make it any less the case (and is often how we're looked down on for it). Just two ideas to throw at you if for lack of anything helpful: meditation or neurofeedback therapy.
Meditation is...right. So what is neurofeedback therapy? Is it like biofeedback therapy for people who have lost control of their buttholes?

All of this... wow. Right now I am so overwhelmed about several things - many of which I know "should" be small things - that I'm not able to focus on my work I actually need to get done. I do live alone and live a very Spartan life partly because of income and partly because I can't be bothered to do more. I say it like that, as if it's a matter of laziness, but you know it's not that. It's a real feeling of "I can't". I definitely couldn't hack it on my own without auto bill pay coming directly out of my bank account.
Sorry of this is a mess of thoughts, really burnt out.

New Threads

Top Bottom