• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive function difficulties?

maryann20

I have a lot of problems planning, managing time, organizing my things and my activities, I always missplace and lose stuff...
Does anyone experience these executive functions difficulties? It is very frustrating and it makes me feel really incompetent having all these problems.

I grew up with a parent who had that problem and it drove me crazy. Then I had a daughter who apparently inherited this problem and no matter how I tried to train her, she just couldn't get organized. You are not incompetent, though, it is just the way you are wired. I wish I had some advice to offer, but others here have mentioned struggling with that issue too; hopefully they will chime in with some good pointers!

I have that problem too. It requires a great deal of effort and self-monitoring to keep me organized and productive. My tendency is to zone out midway through tasks and get caught up in details that derail all my attempts at time management. It's very frustrating.

I've found lists to be very helpful. I write down sequences of steps (even minute details) and try my best to follow them without getting too lost in any one step for too long. Timing tasks helps me too. I get a better idea of how many tasks I can accomplish in a certain amount of time that way.

In any case, it is still draining because I have to be constantly aware. No zoning! :confused:

I have the same difficulties but in my brain I am a very logical and organised person, but the execution of this goes awry and it is really frustrating. I made a breakthrough earlier this year and managed to get a perfect system going on but then I was ill, and went through a bout of depression and that screwed my routines up again.

New Threads

Top Bottom