• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Executive Dysfunction

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Well, it looks like I am paying the price for my executive dysfunction. I am not able to cook for myself so I am now paying the piper for poor eating habits. I've had a TIA stroke. I am so depressed and just full of self blame. At least it wasn't severe but I am in a bad way.

I'm sorry to hear that Mattymatt, it takes time to recover from. It's not necessarily true that poor eating habits cause it to happen, although they contribute. There is some genetic predisposition for it. Plaque buildup, hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol all contribute. And, they might be inherited, to a certain extent. With some blood thinners and medical help you will get better. If you need help with advice about meals and food in general PM me.

Oh, no. This is a wake-up call to take good care of yourself, and I hope you're resting to let your body recover.

Do you have a microwave? An oven? A slow cooker like a Crockpot? I'd be happy to help you with easy, healthy things you can just microwave or cook in the oven or slow cooker. They have timers so you won't forget to turn off the stove, etc. There are actually some healthy frozen foods these days that you just need to heat up.

Well, it looks like I am paying the price for my executive dysfunction. I am not able to cook for myself so I am now paying the piper for poor eating habits. I've had a TIA stroke. I am so depressed and just full of self blame. At least it wasn't severe but I am in a bad way.

I actually did a online test for this yesterday and low and behold YEAH i have it + its also stipulated in my IQ test actually Executive/Adaptive functions SEVERELY below average )

DONT feel that way dear it is what it is and NON of its youre fault. Mien comes from my Diagnosis and from birth

Have you tried some simpler cook books dear ? incl perhaps for children (NOTHING wrong with that dear) & as suggested with a micro you can easily heat up simpler food dear i do EVERY day and boiling potatoes/pasta isent really that hard either dear.

Anyway if you want to talk im only a Pm away dear

At least it wasn't more serious. Why aren't you able to cook for yourself? What exactly do you find difficult? Supermarkets usually offer some healthy ready made meals and fresh salads that don't need cooking or preparation. I don't cook every day due to work pressures, and I guess, executive functioning issues such as meal planning and finding it hard to juggle two things at once, so I plan meals around the weekend when I know I have plenty or time and I can focus on just that without any other distractions, and cook in bulk for the week to come.

At least it wasn't more serious. Why aren't you able to cook for yourself? What exactly do you find difficult? Supermarkets usually offer some healthy ready made meals and fresh salads that don't need cooking or preparation. I don't cook every day due to work pressures, and I guess, executive functioning issues such as meal planning and finding it hard to juggle two things at once, so I plan meals around the weekend when I know I have plenty or time and I can focus on just that without any other distractions, and cook in bulk for the week to come.

I used to do the same thing when I was working and had 3 kids and a husband to feed. I'd make batches of things on the weekends and freeze them for later in the week. I still make things like chili, spaghetti sauce, soups and stews which we eat one or two nights and then I freeze the rest for later on.

There's a wealth of information and suggestions at foodnetwork.com - look for freezer meals and make ahead dishes.

Another good things is to buy a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket. Eat it the first day, pull the rest of the meat off the bones and refrigerate it for subsequent days.

I’m not sure what executive dysfunction is but I have trouble following recipes and getting motivated to cook. It sometimes just feels overwhelming.
I bought myself a 1.5 crock pot for $12 (Amazon) and I’ve been putting stuff in there that “ goes together” and usually it turns out pretty good and have been able to eat it.
For example I can put in sliced raw potatoes, chopped onion, salt, cheese, little bits of butter and sprinkles of flour. Then I pour in some milk and put it on low for 4 to 6 hours.
Can’t really go wrong because it isn’t for guests and I’m not picky.
I hope you feel better soon and it isn’t your fault if your genetics are plaquey and you haven’t eaten wild caught salmon steaks and kale every day! Good grief.

I used to do the same thing when I was working and had 3 kids and a husband to feed. I'd make batches of things on the weekends and freeze them for later in the week. I still make things like chili, spaghetti sauce, soups and stews which we eat one or two nights and then I freeze the rest for later on.

There's a wealth of information and suggestions at foodnetwork.com - look for freezer meals and make ahead dishes.

Another good things is to buy a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket. Eat it the first day, pull the rest of the meat off the bones and refrigerate it for subsequent days.

Mmmmm....rotisserie chicken! Now that will be on my mind all day....

Mmmmm....rotisserie chicken! Now that will be on my mind all day....

Rotisserie chicken is my soulmate. It is inexpensive, costs little more than buying a whole raw chicken, it's perfectly cooked and hot when you buy it. Yum! I turn it into chicken salads, enchiladas, tacos, sandwiches, and chicken chili with canned beans and canned Rotel tomatoes in the Crockpot. Easy peasy.

Then the bones and cartilage can be cooked down into soup stock! You get many meals from a $5 chicken!

I do that, too! I just freeze the chicken carcass after we've picked it clean, and when I have a big bag of chicken parts, I thaw it, make a stock by adding it to water, carrots, celery, and onion (no salt!!) , let it cool, and package it in 2 cup freezer plastic containers. I also freeze it in an ice cube tray, pop it out of the molds when frozen and put in freezer plastic bags. I can put a couple of cubes into the pot when cooking vegetables or whatever and it tastes much better than using plain water.

I’m not sure what executive dysfunction is but I have trouble following recipes and getting motivated to cook. It sometimes just feels overwhelming.
I don't have difficulty following recipes, but complex recipes in many stages, and needing to go out and buy ingredients can be overwhelming, especially when I have other stuff going on, and also when I cook I get distracted or sidetracked easily and end up burning things because I forget them. I tend to stick to simple things that I can prepare quickly, things like hotpots. I freeze what I can't eat within a couple of days, too.

I hope you get better soon. While I have the skill and knowledge to cook I find it difficult due to exhaustion and mental overwhelm so I can't cook every day. Sometimes when I try to cook but my brain isn't working I have accidents that either harm the food or me or both. I make large batches on days when I am more capable, I can freeze some or I can eat the same thing for several days in a row. You might find it helpful to get a slow cooker or instant pot and if you use Pinterest at all it's a good source for easy recipes.

There are other good suggestions from others too-buying healthy already cooked food fresh, frozen or even canned. If you can eat beans or lentils they come already cooked in tins, as does tuna or salmon. A tuna melt and a bit of vegetable-even raw with some dip would be an easyish meal.

This is all assuming you don't have any specific dietary needs or food intolerances.

It is not your fault that you had a TIA stroke. It is not your fault that you have executive dysfunction.

A lot of us suffer from this @Mattymatt , please don't be too hard on yourself! I can cook well but struggle and am not good at all at all the clean up after and other day to day housekeeping tasks.

There are a ton of great suggestions above, the good thing about cooking is that you can follow instructions and not really have to think for yourself with recipes and there are a vast array of recipes of every kind on the net.

I know for me, I feel much better when I push past the inertia and resistance and do something unfamiliar.

I used to be clinically depressed and, basically, doing hard things and unfamiliar things, even though they are scary, I found the best way to alleviate depression. Every new thing attempted, even if I started our bad at it (that's, pretty much, to be expected) improved my self esteem, because I was being brave and action brings a sense of empowerment and with self esteem and a sense of empowerment, improved, the depression alleviates.

Cooking, something palatable maybe a lot easier than you think it is. Or even just add something healthier, some steamed vegies or salad to what you are accustomed to, makes a big difference to one's health and wellbeing.

Tastes can change as your body can recognize food that is good for it.

I'm suspecting that even just adding some healthier foods will do wonders for your mood and health.

I have a book about foods that combat depression, things like berries, fish, oats, vegetables, and it has recipes in it too.

Good luck with making some healthy changes! I feel confident that doing so will bring added wellbeing and health into your life.

Last edited:
If you live somewhere with grocery delivery or curbside pickup that might help with shopping for healthy foods. I’ve used a grocery delivery a few times when going to the store was too much for me. They got my order right and picked out quality produce.

If you live somewhere with grocery delivery or curbside pickup that might help with shopping for healthy foods. I’ve used a grocery delivery a few times when going to the store was too much for me. They got my order right and picked out quality produce.

Yes, I use grocery delivery too. You can get deli meat and bread, yogurt, easy things to eat.

New Threads

Top Bottom