• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ever changing

LostInSilentHill

Terrible Gaurdian Angel
Since as long as I can remember I have had obsessions. Strangely enough, they do tend to change.

For instance when I was 9 I became obsessed with Egypt and everything to do with it, I even taught myself how to read hieroglyphics. Everything had to be Egypt and anything that was not was ignored. At some point it changed to an animated series called DBZ and I knew everything there was to know about every character down to their favourite foods. Again it dropped suddenly and I moved on to something else, including Vampires, Pathology, Military service, WWII, Sherlock, Forensics, etc.

The obsession becomes my entire world and I have to know everything, even to the point that I ignore the rest of the world. In between these Interests I feel lost and listless. It doesn't take long though, to find a new one. Is this common?

I'm 28 and this still happens often. I can usually tamper it down a bit while out of the house or with family and my friend, but is still very much there.

I have and always have had a main obsession, machines. I have also had a lot of secondary obsessions that change from time to time. Some of the changes have to do with my age. At 70 years old, I just can not do a lot of things that I used to do. But something is always catching my eye, I start researching and then just like that, I am hooked on something else.

I have and always have had a main obsession, machines. I have also had a lot of secondary obsessions that change from time to time. Some of the changes have to do with my age. At 70 years old, I just can not do a lot of things that I used to do. But something is always catching my eye, I start researching and then just like that, I am hooked on something else.
That's pretty good.

Oh yeah, my "obsessions" change. I'll develop an interest, buy everything there is concerning it, and then lose interest for something else. For instance, I developed an interest in golf. I bought clubs, bag, swing trainer, books, everything. I watched it on TV, read about it, and played all the online golf games. I have never been on a golf course. The clubs, bag, everything is now in a corner of my spare room where they get dusted off weekly. I've collected stamps, key chains, and was fascinated with dinosaurs. I believe that most on the spectrum have multiple obsessions and only one or two that they're truly passionate about.

You should go to a golf course and try it. But be forewarned. I if you do, you will go back. It is very addicting.

Is this common?

I'm 28 and this still happens often. I can usually tamper it down a bit while out of the house or with family and my friend, but is still very much there.

With this crowd? Absolutely, IMO. ;)

Still happens to me, and I'm twice your age. My latest obsession has been about tools.

It will fade and I'll be off in yet another direction. Always am. It's allowed. :)

Since as long as I can remember I have had obsessions. Strangely enough, they do tend to change.

For instance when I was 9 I became obsessed with Egypt and everything to do with it, I even taught myself how to read hieroglyphics. Everything had to be Egypt and anything that was not was ignored. At some point it changed to an animated series called DBZ and I knew everything there was to know about every character down to their favourite foods. Again it dropped suddenly and I moved on to something else, including Vampires, Pathology, Military service, WWII, Sherlock, Forensics, etc.

The obsession becomes my entire world and I have to know everything, even to the point that I ignore the rest of the world. In between these Interests I feel lost and listless. It doesn't take long though, to find a new one. Is this common?

I can connect with what you have said, I develop and interest in a topic usually connected with my 'set' interests and then study it deeply for a while before moving onto the next one in a kind of cycle but always within that set group of main interests (true others can appear E.G for a short while I was into the Battle of Britain but that's long past) I don't know about calling them an obsession but they are strong interests definitely, as a child I used to drive adults mad with my chattering about what I had learned and probably annoyed my few friends as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom