• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ernst & Young steps up recruitment of disabled and autistic employees

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Click the source link at the bottom of the page to read the full article)

Ernst & Young has been reaching out to recruit and hire more people with disabilities, including workers on the autism spectrum.

“EY has had a long focus on hiring and supporting people with disabilities,” said Lori Golden, abilities strategy leader at EY. “We’ve been a leader in this space. We have a very strong commitment to both fostering a culture that’s what we refer to as ‘abilities inclusive,’ a culture that feels welcoming and productive for people of all physical, cognitive or socioemotional abilities, meaning mental health abilities. We have real proactive efforts and innovative efforts to reach out to candidates with disabilities to work across our service lines, in all geographies and at all ranks and functions.”

Other firms besides EY are also hiring people with disabilities. “In public accounting, at some of the largest firms, there is a very strong commitment—and it’s not just EY, it’s KPMG, Deloitte, PwC as well, and many firms one tier down in size—have very strong commitments and are doing some pretty innovative things to try to tap into the talents of people with disabilities,” said Golden.

Ernst & Young has been reaching out to recruit and hire more people with disabilities, including workers on the autism spectrum.

“EY has had a long focus on hiring and supporting people with disabilities,” said Lori Golden, abilities strategy leader at EY. “We’ve been a leader in this space. We have a very strong commitment to both fostering a culture that’s what we refer to as ‘abilities inclusive,’ a culture that feels welcoming and productive for people of all physical, cognitive or socioemotional abilities, meaning mental health abilities. We have real proactive efforts and innovative efforts to reach out to candidates with disabilities to work across our service lines, in all geographies and at all ranks and functions.”

Other firms besides EY are also hiring people with disabilities. “In public accounting, at some of the largest firms, there is a very strong commitment—and it’s not just EY, it’s KPMG, Deloitte, PwC as well, and many firms one tier down in size—have very strong commitments and are doing some pretty innovative things to try to tap into the talents of people with disabilities,” said Golden.

Neurodiversity Program
One of EY’s program focuses on employees on the autism spectrum, such as high-functioning people with Asperger syndrome.

“We have a program that is growing at EY where we are hiring individuals with autism who are highly able in data analytics skills, in raw mathematics skills, and who are technologically facile to work on many of the engagement management support activities that we use to support our clients, everything from cybersecurity to robotic process automation,” said Golden.

Sam Briefer, an EY employee in Philadelphia, was recruited through the neurodiversity program. He was referred by the headmaster at his high school and went through a four-week training program.

“I’ve been working at EY for almost two years,” he said. “Right now I work with a macro team that’s in New York, and we work directly with audit clients. What the macros help accomplish is calculating thousands and thousands of rows and columns of data by using some specific formulas that the macro coding recognizes. What would usually take months to calculate would take roughly five to 10 minutes, tops. I would also send out budget templates to the audit clients to map out how long a project would take, as well as include their example files that they would include with their project summaries to help us shape the macro to their preferences.”

Christopher Morris, an EY employee in Dallas, met representatives from EY’s neurodiversity program while he was training for a career in data and science in San Jose, Calif. The EY representatives provided information to his group about personal branding, resumes, and interviewing. They also role-played situations with the students about common work issues, such as how to go back to the manager and get clarification on an assignment. He became interested in a program that EY was hosting for a week in Dallas, and passed an Excel test that gave him entry into the program. He now helps the firm with SOC 2 audit reports.

“My function within the team is I help to prepare the control matrices documents, the testing for each individual’s control objectives,” said Morris. “I did those based on directions from the manager of the engagement and also she provided examples from previous years that I could go off of. For that I helped with the testing of service level monitoring, problem management, access management, and for new hire testing, change management and the service management work plan.”

EY provides him with some assistance reserving work spaces in its offices, which use a hoteling arrangement. “I found that it was really helpful the way it was orchestrated,” said Morris. “There were a number of people from my team who also worked on different engagements, and they were all in the same building. We had a contact there in the building team who assisted us with things like help reserving a desk. She gave us a tour of where different things were in the office, like where the supplies were. Also she could offer some insight, like if we needed a clarification on a procedure. If we had a question, she could be the first person to go to instead of going to a manager.”

Jamell Mitchell, who is based in Philadelphia and is Morris and Briefer’s day-to-day manager, explained how that works. “We have internally a hoteling system,” he said. “The majority of the office at this point doesn’t have permanent seating, so what typically happens is you come in and you have to reserve space. One of the accommodations we provided the team working with this particular engagement team was they were not going to have to worry about reserving space and trying to figure that out on a daily or weekly basis. We’ll have someone that’s going to cover that for you. In theory, while that may be deemed as something minor, it’s something that’s more complex in that the system actually shuts itself down at certain points. It kind of holds space until a certain period, and that adds an additional level of frustration for anyone looking for a space until it’s released at a particular time within the office.”

EY provides a go-between who helps facilitate booking spaces for the employees in the neurodiversity program.

There aren’t yet huge numbers of such employees at EY, but EY has been expanding its outreach efforts and that should lead to more hiring of people on the autism spectrum. “With the neurodiversity program, for example, we currently have 14 individuals with autism employed at two what we call Neurodiverse Centers of Excellence,” said Golden. “We have plans to open two more Centers of Excellence a year for the next three years, with an average number of 10 individuals per Center of Excellence.”

The process of recruiting autistic employees can be complex. “A lot of investment goes into setting these programs up because we are sourcing differently,” said Golden. “We are screening and interviewing differently outside of our usual recruitment process. The individuals go through a weeklong residence. They’re with us for a week in the office for the training and assessment process, and then we make offers. Then they go through a customized onboarding process, and they’re managed by hiring managers that are specifically trained and they have office buddies who support them and they have coaches who support them. It’s a fairly intensive endeavor.”

Other firms have also been getting interested in recruiting employees on the autism spectrum.

“We right now have a consortium with a couple of different companies that are operating within this space,” said Mitchell. “What we have done is we’ve shared information with other companies about some of the benefits that we’ve seen in addition to just helping them learn from some of the opportunities that we’ve had where we’ve had a misstep. Specifically right now we’ve been collaborating with SAP, Microsoft, HPE [Hewlett Packard Enterprise], as well as JPMorgan Chase and then also recently Ford as well.”

He has heard interest from PwC and KPMG about the program as well. Deloitte was one of the founding firms in the Ready to Work Business Collaborative, which works to recruit the long-term unemployed, people working part-time, veterans, people with disabilities and youth ages 16 to 24. The group now works closely with EY.

Full Article: Ernst & Young steps up recruitment of disabled and autistic employees

There's 2 things wrong with that.

1: It's not in the UK.
2: It's for youngsters aged 16 to 24, I'm 41, where's the provision for older clients who are disabled Aspies and want to work?

Pity it's not in the UK As the DWP are forcing people live on Slave wages if they are a new ESA claimant.
There is no information about the salary scale

(Not written by me. Click the source link at the bottom of the page to read the full article)

Neurodiversity Program
One of EY’s program focuses on employees on the autism spectrum, such as high-functioning people with Asperger syndrome.

“We have a program that is growing at EY where we are hiring individuals with autism who are highly able in data analytics skills, in raw mathematics skills, and who are technologically facile to work on many of the engagement management support activities that we use to support our clients, everything from cybersecurity to robotic process automation,” said Golden.

Sam Briefer, an EY employee in Philadelphia, was recruited through the neurodiversity program. He was referred by the headmaster at his high school and went through a four-week training program.

“I’ve been working at EY for almost two years,” he said. “Right now I work with a macro team that’s in New York, and we work directly with audit clients. What the macros help accomplish is calculating thousands and thousands of rows and columns of data by using some specific formulas that the macro coding recognizes. What would usually take months to calculate would take roughly five to 10 minutes, tops. I would also send out budget templates to the audit clients to map out how long a project would take, as well as include their example files that they would include with their project summaries to help us shape the macro to their preferences.”

Christopher Morris, an EY employee in Dallas, met representatives from EY’s neurodiversity program while he was training for a career in data and science in San Jose, Calif. The EY representatives provided information to his group about personal branding, resumes, and interviewing. They also role-played situations with the students about common work issues, such as how to go back to the manager and get clarification on an assignment. He became interested in a program that EY was hosting for a week in Dallas, and passed an Excel test that gave him entry into the program. He now helps the firm with SOC 2 audit reports.

“My function within the team is I help to prepare the control matrices documents, the testing for each individual’s control objectives,” said Morris. “I did those based on directions from the manager of the engagement and also she provided examples from previous years that I could go off of. For that I helped with the testing of service level monitoring, problem management, access management, and for new hire testing, change management and the service management work plan.”

EY provides him with some assistance reserving work spaces in its offices, which use a hoteling arrangement. “I found that it was really helpful the way it was orchestrated,” said Morris. “There were a number of people from my team who also worked on different engagements, and they were all in the same building. We had a contact there in the building team who assisted us with things like help reserving a desk. She gave us a tour of where different things were in the office, like where the supplies were. Also she could offer some insight, like if we needed a clarification on a procedure. If we had a question, she could be the first person to go to instead of going to a manager.”

Jamell Mitchell, who is based in Philadelphia and is Morris and Briefer’s day-to-day manager, explained how that works. “We have internally a hoteling system,” he said. “The majority of the office at this point doesn’t have permanent seating, so what typically happens is you come in and you have to reserve space. One of the accommodations we provided the team working with this particular engagement team was they were not going to have to worry about reserving space and trying to figure that out on a daily or weekly basis. We’ll have someone that’s going to cover that for you. In theory, while that may be deemed as something minor, it’s something that’s more complex in that the system actually shuts itself down at certain points. It kind of holds space until a certain period, and that adds an additional level of frustration for anyone looking for a space until it’s released at a particular time within the office.”

EY provides a go-between who helps facilitate booking spaces for the employees in the neurodiversity program.

There aren’t yet huge numbers of such employees at EY, but EY has been expanding its outreach efforts and that should lead to more hiring of people on the autism spectrum. “With the neurodiversity program, for example, we currently have 14 individuals with autism employed at two what we call Neurodiverse Centers of Excellence,” said Golden. “We have plans to open two more Centers of Excellence a year for the next three years, with an average number of 10 individuals per Center of Excellence.”

The process of recruiting autistic employees can be complex. “A lot of investment goes into setting these programs up because we are sourcing differently,” said Golden. “We are screening and interviewing differently outside of our usual recruitment process. The individuals go through a weeklong residence. They’re with us for a week in the office for the training and assessment process, and then we make offers. Then they go through a customized onboarding process, and they’re managed by hiring managers that are specifically trained and they have office buddies who support them and they have coaches who support them. It’s a fairly intensive endeavor.”

Other firms have also been getting interested in recruiting employees on the autism spectrum.

“We right now have a consortium with a couple of different companies that are operating within this space,” said Mitchell. “What we have done is we’ve shared information with other companies about some of the benefits that we’ve seen in addition to just helping them learn from some of the opportunities that we’ve had where we’ve had a misstep. Specifically right now we’ve been collaborating with SAP, Microsoft, HPE [Hewlett Packard Enterprise], as well as JPMorgan Chase and then also recently Ford as well.”

He has heard interest from PwC and KPMG about the program as well. Deloitte was one of the founding firms in the Ready to Work Business Collaborative, which works to recruit the long-term unemployed, people working part-time, veterans, people with disabilities and youth ages 16 to 24. The group now works closely with EY.

Full Article: Ernst & Young steps up recruitment of disabled and autistic employees
For anyone who wants to contact Ernst & Young to request setting up a. Neuro diverse program they have offices in different cities in the UK there are different phone numbers for each office

Pity it's not in the UK As the DWP are forcing people live on Slave wages if they are a new ESA claimant.
There is no information about the salary scale

I know from experience that it's painfully hard to get a job while on ESA because of the stringently enforced 15 hours a week work limit.

If you work 30 seconds over the limit, you WILL get sanctioned!

Thank you for posting this, that was inspiring!

The local EY branch where I am might not have such an initiative, but it never hurts to ask them and/or see if a local autism placement non-profit that's already working with similar firms is willing to reach out to them.

I work for a regional public accounting firm. The office I work in alone has a few people who I suspect have ASD including myself. There is no official program to hire those with so-called disabilities, but the nature of the work can be suitable for those on the spectrum. We bring a unique value to the company. Huge public accounting companies like EY and some other large corporations seem to also see the value we can bring to the table. While it is good publicity, I don't think these companies would spend money on these programs just to give back. With that being said it is great to hear these programs are gaining steam.

Sometimes I feel like if I was 7 years younger or so I wouldn't have fallen through the cracks so to speak. I do have a decent job, but it was a really hard road the first few years and still is at times but has gotten better. It would have been nice to have had these opportunities a few years ago, but I know they are probably still quite rare to find compared to the number of people who could benefit from them. But it is progress.

“In public accounting, at some of the largest firms, there is a very strong commitment—and it’s not just EY, it’s KPMG, Deloitte, PwC as well, and many firms one tier down in size—have very strong commitments and are doing some pretty innovative things to try to tap into the talents of people with disabilities,” said Golden.

KPMG are hosting an event on "Neurodiversity in the workplace" at their Canary Wharf (London, UK) office next week.

"There are a limited number of places available so please register now to avoid missing out. If you have any special requirements, such as accessibility or dietary needs, please let us know when you book or by emailing workabilitynetwork at kpmg dot co dot uk."
The venue will have a quiet space available throughout the event.

Last edited:
I would also be interested in salary info-- are they paying the autistics the same wages for the same experiences that they are paying the NTs?

New Threads

Top Bottom