• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Epic fail this year (Remembrance Day)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
As some may know, since 2006 I've been walking around taking photos of people wearing their poppies as Remembrance Day approaches, the poppy being an important visual reminder of war memorial (I know that not all of you get that), it's important to me anyway...

This year I only have 17 portraits! Weather has been against me, cold (enough) and snow today meant that less people were around today... Tomorrow? Even colder, not sure if I will bother because it will be so cold... I was getting positive response most of the day, just very few people out walking today due to the crappy weather :emojiconfused:

For reference, the last time I had this few was back in 2007, the average has been at least 30 portraits per year since then (some years 50), and I will not get that many this year, falling far far short... Feeling like a complete failure right now, like I failed myself, although I can put a lot of blame on the weather this year, but still :confused: ... I feel like people who know my photography around Remembrance Day will be disappointed due to lack of results, heck I am :rolleyes:...

A poppy portrait you say? One from today...

Edit_09C(6564).jpg

Last edited:
Is there any chance this could be a case where quality is more important than quantity?

17 still sounds like so much to me.

Good luck today.

Is there any chance this could be a case where quality is more important than quantity?

17 still sounds like so much to me.

Good luck today.

Or maybe I'm guilty of playing comparison, but this time with myself

I certainly don't feel like 17 is enough

(Oops! Never actually posted this response much earlier in the day :rolleyes: )

As some may know, since 2006 I've been walking around taking photos of people wearing their poppies as Remembrance Day approaches, the poppy being an important visual reminder of war memorial (I know that not all of you get that), it's important to me anyway...

This year I only have 17 portraits! Weather has been against me, cold (enough) and snow today meant that less people were around today... Tomorrow? Even colder, not sure if I will bother because it will be so cold... I was getting positive response most of the day, just very few people out walking today due to the crappy weather :emojiconfused:

For reference, the last time I had this few was back in 2007, the average has been at least 30 portraits per year since then (some years 50), and I will not get that many this year, falling far far short... Feeling like a complete failure right now, like I failed myself, although I can put a lot of blame on the weather this year, but still :confused: ... I feel like people who know my photography around Remembrance Day will be disappointed due to lack of results, heck I am :rolleyes:...

A poppy portrait you say? One from today...

View attachment 88356
Per usual, there is a story for why the Poppy was chosen outlined here for those who don't know it:

My Poppy in the "museum"
20221107_153454.jpg

“In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

The first stanza of In Flander's Fields appeared on the back of the c. 2001-2012 Canadian $10 note in both English and French, between red poppies on the left and doves on the right.
2005-10-dollar-verso_no-strip-1200x400.jpg

While red poppies (1918- ) commemorating military personnel who died in wars, are best recognized and most commonly worn, I want to note that there are two other poppies, which can be worn in conjunction with the red poppy:

White poppies (1933- ) commemorating all casualties of war (e.g. not only military dead, but civilian deaths)
Purple poppies (2006- ) commemorating animals in war (e.g. horses, dogs)

These two groups are not insignificant in number - Wikipedia reports that WWI deaths include 9-11 million military personnel, 6-13 million civilians along with 8 million animals (mostly horses and donkeys).

White_Wreath_for_Peace_at_the_Cenotaph_in_2018.jpg

Purple_Wreath_at_the_Cenotaph%2C_London_in_2018.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom