• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Environmental vs Chemical depression for people on the spectrum

dhl02

I've struggled with depression for most of my life, and I wonder though how much of it is due to environmental factors(ex. not being able to find a job, general Aspie-related anxiety that leads to depressive episodes, being super poor when raised upper middle class, being a people person that has a difficult time keeping friends because I'm so overbearing, etc.)
vs.
an actual chemical imbalance.
There are, and have been times in my life that I was truly happy for a long period of time. Those times were when I had a) a decent social life and b) hope for a better future. I still have a) but b) has been crushed into smithereens so I go through bouts of being ok, followed by longer bouts of feeling hopeless and worthless. Sometimes I can convince myself that b) exists, but won't happen until I'm too old to benefit from it, so I try to take a small bit of happiness from being the "trail blazer" that has to go through all of the crap that we all do until society finds a place for our talents. I'm sick of the mood swings, and I can't figure out whether there really is anything I can do. The reason why I wonder if it is completely environmental, is that even while being treated, I still go into the deep, dark places more often than one would if it was a chemical issue. I have never found a medication that keeps me from going there every few months. So I wonder if I'm in a vicious circle, of I can't get out of the hole until my situation changes, but my situation can't change until I get and stay out of the hole.

I feel you there... I am in the same cycle myself. I've found as I age it only gets more challenging. That being said, there is always hope for the future, but if you are constantly blinded by depression it's very hard to see.
Medicines for depression do absolutely nothing for me, other than giving me nasty side effects. This leads me to believe it's environment rather than chemical depression.

For me, I believe depressions usually start due to chemical imbalance (they sneak up on me when my life is great) and my depressions linger because of environmental factors (my circumstances get exponentially worse due to isolation and financial trouble caused by the depression)

Pretty much the same here. I was unable to keep up with the social and financial success of family. And while I do not condemn myself for that, it affects me, is part of my environment.
Winter makes it worse. Maybe for me, when I am stuck in the pit, it is better to be in a fog than over-thinking everything again and again.
For me. It's usually helpful to stick with a minimum rule of self-care of keeping tidy in body and dwelling, listening to the music I like, remembering there will be an end to winter, exercise, and my special interests. When those fail, things can get rough.

I am not really prone to depression but when I do feel depressed it is entirely due to environmental factors.

Last edited:
I believe it is both because we live in such a toxic world. With medications in the water now, wow, who knows what you are getting on a given day ? This on top of everythng else we are exposed to!

Have to agree with other posters. That the origins lie in chemical imbalances, though that they are likely exacerbated by environmental considerations as well.

I think for me it has been a mixed bag, with both feeding off of each other. I think if my childhood environment had been better for me, I'd be struggling with less of a burden - there would be less past baggage to sort out, less freaking me out now - but I think our brains are wired in such a way that we can be hypervigilant/sensitive and that normal life around us can still stress us out more. And even with the best, most positive influences around us, just trying to live in an NT world is going to be quite stressful for me, anyway.

Mixed for me as well and maybe even seasons of the year possibly assist in making it better or worse sometimes.

I think chemical is a huge part of it since it is scientifically proven that our thoughts are chemical and electrical responses... If they get out of balance and we do not learn to get them back in balance and then try and balance those thoughts with drugs, alcohol, or weed... The imbalance might be better or worse, but never is a part of the bodies natural response...

My depression is typically stress induced. So, I guess that would be environmentally caused chemical imbalance.

Everyone wanted to tell me I was depressed and throw pills at me instead of listening to me about WHY I was depressed in the first place and maybe get something done about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom