1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Entitlements and You

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Dr. Eh Hol, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dr. Eh Hol

Dr. Eh Hol not a real doctor

I know a lot of people getting entitlements. Their quality of life runs the gamut from ecstatic to miserable, satisfied to hateful, yada, yada.

I know a lot of people denied entitlements, they are mad and miserable almost exclusively.

Where do you sit? Do you get entitlements? Are you happy with them?
    Do you not get entitlements? Are you happy without?

2. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

What do you mean exactly when you talk about entitlements?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

In this day and age I think we all get entitlements we take for granted, like food, water, electricity and so on. I'm not sure that's what you are talking about. To me an entitlement is something that you are granted without question. I don't feel I'm entitled to anything and I take every day as a gift. Also, some seem like a curse, but that's besides the point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

entitlement - A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
    U.S. Senate: Glossary Term | Entitlement

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Up to this time I've not been eligible for any entitlements I'm aware of, despite being retired. However this will change in the near future objectively based on age alone. I'm far too much of a pragmatist to dwell for any reason- ideologically or otherwise on much of anything that I was fundamentally ineligible for in the first place.

That if and when such entitlements actually exist, it's just a matter of whether or not one is eligible to receive them. Though it's also no secret that for some, to secure such entitlements may involve considerable struggle depending on interpretations of eligibility requirements and an availability of specialized legal resources.

And of course that such experiences and opinions can vary greatly depending upon which side of the pond one resides. Involving some very different social welfare and legal considerations.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Have worked all my life, and retired. It's too early for me to apply for CPP and OAS in Canada. But I will when I turn sixty five. And since I've paid into my entire life, I will apply.

• Like Like x 1
  7. oregano

oregano is dreaming of desolation

I've gotten SSI since age 18. (I am 45 now.) I have tried working a regular "job" several times and couldn't. Tried starting a couple one man "businesses", no luck. At least when I move to my land this fall I can be largely independent of "the grid" and of needing to slave away at a job to earn little bits of cloth IOU's in order to trade them for necessities like housing, food, and electricity. I treat my payments as gifts from regular working taxpayers and use them as wisely as I can. It seems that there are SSI recipients who blow their checks on junk, something I avoid as much as humanly possible. I even save a small bit.

• Winner Winner x 1