• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

End of Flash

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
With support for flash heading into it's last half month, I've already seen many flash games that I loved disappear - some replaced with HTML5 versions of varying degrees of similarity, and some which are just gone forever. It kind of reminds me of when Geocities was taken down - it's like a chunk of the online world just disappeared.

I should note that many of the games were not ones I play regularly anymore, but liked to pop in now and then for nostalgia.

Anyone else going to miss Flash?

Yeah, I will. Here's hoping most of the games get a HTML5/Javascript replacement. I know Happy Wheels - a ragdoll game I play every once in a while - is getting a Javascript replacement at some point.

Last edited:
I'm so sad about this. I feel like it's stupid. Everything uses flash. My daughter is homeschooled and most of the algebra lessons on the website we use are powered by flash. I don't know what they're going to do. And I play a lot of video games that require flash.

I miss Geocities too. That was so fun. I had my own newspaper and little website.

RIP FLASH, you were great. Translation engines I spose. Can't play a lot of older games on windows 10 anyway.

Don't know if I will, 2D seems to be over as far as adobe is concerned. Yet there's this:

"That’s where Flashpoint comes in. This preservation effort has collected Flash games from across the internet in advance of the format’s death, and has distributed them with an open-source launcher. The launcher is available either as a complete, 241GB archive, or a standalone version that lets you download games as you play them."
Every Flash game disappears forever in 2020 – but this project has preserved 38,000 of them

Yes. So disappointed as I played a lot of on-line games for fun that needed Flash.
Some like Texas Hold'em Poker, Zuma, Plants vs. Zombies, etc.
Just fun.
The new HTML5 games look like poorly done cartoons.
I don't like Windows 10 anyway. But, they force it on you!

I don't play games much (I used to, as a kid...anyone remember Candystand?) but I am annoyed because NOAA's weather site uses flash, and that's one of my preferred weather forecasting sites.

I do the daily Jumble (word puzzle: https://www.jumble.com/playjumble), which uses Flash.

About a year ago, they tried moving to something else, but they botched it and reverted to Flash.
USA Today has the same daily puzzle in a non-Flash version, but its UI is awkward and confusing - my puzzle solving time will increase by 30 seconds just trying to deal with the UI.

So, I've been getting the "Chrome will stop supporting Flash at the end of 2020" every day for a year and a half. And I'm still going to keep using the Flash version until Dec 31.

I will miss it. I'll probably go to the USAToday version, since the Jumble is part of my morning routine.

As a former website designer, I had to learn Macromedia Flash in the late 90s. I remember how difficult it was to learn, as I had no real frame of reference regarding multimedia programming compared to markup, database and scripting languages.

I still recall expressing my frustration about it with a contract worker who specialized in Microsoft's ASP. In a conversation that lasted only about 15 minutes, this guy somehow made it all come together for me. At least enough to create the interstitial ads my employers wanted me to design to enhance computer game websites. And later I created one particular website that was mostly Flash itself.

Sort of a bittersweet "goodbye" for me I suppose. I was never really a fan of a lot of animation on a website, but then I was weaned on web usability advocated by Jakob Nielsen.

Of course in those times, dial-up bandwidth was minimal compared to today's widespread use of Broadband Internet. A time when you didn't want the average website to take more than ten to fifteen seconds to load. :oops:

But the marketing folks I worked for loved all those "bells and whistles". Go figure.

Last edited:
I don’t know if its still available, but you used to be able to get a standalone player. If you downloaded the flash files, you could use them without a browser.

Flash has held a special place in my heart since I was in elementary school, for it was there for me to distract me from the bullies that ruled those schools and when the useless adults wouldn't help.

Thank you, Interactive Buddy,
Thank you, Fire Boy and Water Girl.
Thank you, BloxxorZ.
Thank you, sugarsugar.
Thank you, Point Click Drag Drop.
Thank you, StickPage.com.
Thank you, ThingThing Arena.
Thank you, Riddle School 3.
Thank you, Monolith Mario World.
Thank you, Doctor Dentist & The Exploding Teeth.
Thank you, Hapland.
Thank you, Fancy Pants.

Come on guys, how bout we hit up Papa's Burgeria one last time?

New Threads

Top Bottom