• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Empathy

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

In this video blog, I had discussed the meaning of empathy and did some research on how people with Autism would lack empathy.

I had decided to address to this forum, how would you assess your level of empathy?

I like to hear from you members on your views on empathy.

Sympathy; not empathy and I discovered this, only after finding out about aspergers.

I can put myself in someone's shoes or even go as far as think: how would I feel in that person's situation? However, I find it virtually impossible to show sympathy, just for the sake of it. I HATE coming out with false plattitudes; but that is the way of the NT world!

I think this is a big topic, with a lot of it coming down to the relationship you have with the other person.

I have a new manager at work, and have regular 1:1 meetings with them. I get his take on things emotionally as well as intellectually.

He is very straight talking, and doesn’t use a lot of flowery / embellished language. I feel I empathise ok with him.

But, my previous manager was like a closed booked to me emotionally.

I couldnt make her out at all. She was all show and no sincerity.

So the relationship matters I think.

It’s also about if I feel safe to interact on an emotional level with someone else.

Its not easy to get to that point, as I‘m often fearing how others will judge my emotions, particularly my emotions in response to an on-going situation.

If I’m not able to feel safe interacting on an emotional level then, in my experience, both me, and the other person, will find it difficult to empathise with each other.

I think its a misunderstanding when neurotypicals think that those with aspergers lack empathy. I believe people with aspergers can feel huge amounts of empathy. There can be problems with reading the other persons feelings in order to feel the empathy, there can be problems with the person with aspergers recognizing what they are actually feeling, and there can be problems with expressing empathy. Sometimes I have felt huge amounts of empathy for someone I know, but they couldn't see it in me. They thought I was feeling nothing because I lack the body language. Sometimes people with aspergers can lock down to some extent if the feelings are too overwhelming or over powering just as they can with external stimuli.

This is a different spectrum for us. I don't feel classic empathy (or sympathy) unless it is very close to me (immediate family). If there is something big that happens, I can feel sympathy for it, but it doesn't impact me at all on the emotional level. This is a big reason why I have awkwardness because I can't respond to situations with the appropriate emotional response.

I'm a hardcore empath. So is one of my best friends with Aspergers. It's really hard not to take on the emotions, feelings, and pain of others, and can make being around people difficult and taxing.

It's not the subject but , am I the only one feeling that the music intro is some kind of demonic song? xD
I didnt listen to the video yet But I think it will be hard for me to get what you want to say xD

It's not the subject but , am I the only one feeling that the music intro is some kind of demonic song? xD
I didnt listen to the video yet But I think it will be hard for me to get what you want to say xD

Not to get off topic, but, from a neurological standpoint, it is possible that you could have difficulties with auditory-language processing. It is actually, considered a sensory processing issue, and a learning disability in some people, such as myself. I am unable to properly process language, either written or auditory, if there is any sort of background noise, perticularly certain types of music. On a separate note, some types of music/sounds/beats can also effect us in both, positive and negative ways, both, mentally and physically.

edit: I just reread your comment, and realize I may have misunderstood it, in which case, disregard what I mentioned, but I will leave it, in case it might happen to apply.

In terms of empathy, I agree with Jason T, and relate to much of fuzz's experience, above.

Last edited:
I have a great deal of empathy, but I tend to express it from a problem-solving approach when they might have needed emotional support instead. I've been called an "emotionless robot", and was told that I sucked at comforting people even when I did my best to do so by my previous girlfriends.

Though, a few positive traits that comes from my alexithymia are that I can make decisions that few would find too difficult to do emotionally such as euthanizing a beloved pet with little hesitation, or breaking off a toxic relationship, even putting myself into dangerous situations when needed.

Though I am working hard to identify and work in tandem with my emotions, there are times when they become too intense such as watching someone do something embarrassing, or even listening to certain music that hits too close to home.

Since I am a hardcore creative person, I like to try out different types if music for each intro. I felt like creating Electro for this one.

I had been a music producer for 15 years.

I
Since I am a hardcore creative person, I like to try out different types if music for each intro. I felt like creating Electro for this one.

I found myself focusing on either the music or you, but not both simultaneously. Perhaps having less complex background music at a lower volume would be beneficial for your videos?

I do feel upset when certain things happen. It's just my way of showing it may not be as visible as it with others.

I'm a hardcore empath. So is one of my best friends with Aspergers. It's really hard not to take on the emotions, feelings, and pain of others, and can make being around people difficult and taxing.
Interestingly, I had a difficult time understanding emotions in others at a young age; I find now that sympathy and empathy seem to come to me quite naturally, and I often feel overwhelmed at the "emotional textures" of others. Yes, I believe that I have an exceptional ability for empathy, however, I am still exploring the "from mask to emotional response" phenomenon...

In this video blog, I had discussed the meaning of empathy and did some research on how people with Autism would lack empathy.

I had decided to address to this forum, how would you assess your level of empathy?

I like to hear from you members on your views on empathy.

Logically I have trouble showing empathy (it does depend on circumstances of course)...

However, I feel as if I am drowning in it at times with no place to put it. I sadly try to stay away form emotional conversations and situations simply because I don't know what to do with the mass of emotions it all brings up within me. Even worse I tend to get nervous (not the right word) but I might even say something stupid (never meaning to do so). Its awful sometimes and I know I may appear as heartless, but thats not whats going on inside me.

Good job on your video... : )

Like @Chance I sometimes fear that I might say something inappropriate where interpretation of emotional situations is necessary, and I sometimes distance myself from conversations (either emotionally or physically) in order to avoid showing excessive empathy.

I agree with @Jason T, well put.

Interestingly enough there was a long thread on the two types of empathy not long ago from the
neuroscience point of view.
Emotional- The type that sets off firings of a certain section of the brain which creates physical and emotional sensations when you see someone hurt or in distress and graphic scenes such as crimes.
From this neuronal firing the sensations light up (or not) a second area that creates Congnitive Empathy.
Pet scan imaging shows the first must fire up before the second can.

I'm still lost on the cognitive type along with others who feel as I do.
How do you know what the other person feels if you have never experienced what they are feeling
for yourself?

For an example: You see someone depressed because they want a child but can't conceive...
Now how do you know what that feels like if you never had the urge to have a child yourself?

I see others that are in situations that arouse a sense of emotion in myself.
Like seeing a homeless person trying to stay warm at night with their life in a grocery cart.
I've never been homeless, but, it brings an emotion of sadness to see it.
Even though I don't know their story and maybe the homelessness is of their own vices.
Is this sympathy or empathy I feel?

I also want to jump in there and try to mentally help solve someone's problems if they are
someone close to me. Even if they aren't. If they ask for advice or want to try to figure something out.

I think I get the emotional empathy understanding now. The rest, I am still not certain about.

For those who can't stand the sound on Electro, that's why I placed a sensitive warning since I had a feeling that Aspies don't like that sort of tunes.

I have a non-musical version of the "Empathy" subject I can share around. He is a good kid too.

Do you have a youtube channel or some place where you can share your creations, dont get me wrong the song isnt bad, I just felt it was weird for such an informative video , like in some informatives video you can have some music but their are more calm/chill if you know what I mean.

I like echno /electro , but I have never listen to something like you did in this video, its very weird ( the weird feeling that I have this is a demonic song xD, I guess the red screen at the start doesnt help neither hehe °

New Threads

Top Bottom