• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

empathy - or lack of it

VioletHaze_03

Nerdling (Fledgling nerd)
ever since I was little, someone very close to me used to point out how self centered I was. I suspect they are an empath, as they are always trying to help everyone and reached out to everyone, even if they didn't know them. since I didn't constantly try to help everyone, this person used to scold me on my lack of empathy and called me a monster. I feel terrible, but I see the world in black and white, there is no gray area. I often feel like something is wrong with me, and even though I try to be kind, sometimes I can only be honest. and that honesty comes off as me being rude. I know lack of empathy is a very well known aspie trait- can aspies and empaths live in harmony? because it really doesn't look like they can. that said, i'm tired of feeling like there is something wrong with me, and starting to wonder if I really am a monster or heartless, because this person keeps criticizing me for it. I know I am not a psychopath, and I do feel pity and grief for people- mostly anime and video game characters, but that's still something! so could this be part of my NVLD? and do any other people have this issue?

Your "friend" is not very nice, certainly not being "empathic" about how they are making you feel. Frankly, I would a) tell this person to stop saying those things or b) go away permanently.

Honesty is not the same thing as being cruel or rude.

There is nothing wrong with you, you are not a monster. How do I know? Because I am not one and your post could be describing me.

In short:
Honesty good
Not a monster
Tell that person to STFU!

Your "friend" is not very nice, certainly not being "empathic" about how they are making you feel. Frankly, I would a) tell this person to stop saying those things or b) go away permanently.

Honesty is not the same thing as being cruel or rude.

There is nothing wrong with you, you are not a monster. How do I know? Because I am not one and your post could be describing me.

In short:
Honesty good
Not a monster
Tell that person to STFU!

Also monsters have trouble typing.

Its the big fingers :)

ever since I was little, someone very close to me used to point out how self centered I was. I suspect they are an empath, as they are always trying to help everyone and reached out to everyone, even if they didn't know them. since I didn't constantly try to help everyone, this person used to scold me on my lack of empathy and called me a monster. I feel terrible, but I see the world in black and white, there is no gray area. I often feel like something is wrong with me, and even though I try to be kind, sometimes I can only be honest. and that honesty comes off as me being rude. I know lack of empathy is a very well known aspie trait- can aspies and empaths live in harmony? because it really doesn't look like they can. that said, i'm tired of feeling like there is something wrong with me, and starting to wonder if I really am a monster or heartless, because this person keeps criticizing me for it. I know I am not a psychopath, and I do feel pity and grief for people- mostly anime and video game characters, but that's still something! so could this be part of my NVLD? and do any other people have this issue?

Do you criticize people for who they are?

My bet is you dont.

Therefore you are showing consideration and respect for other people.

Regardless of how empathy is defined, your friend is crossing a line and not being very nice.

Do not accept criticism from other people.

What on earth makes them think they are in a higher position than anyone else in this world, that they can make such a judgement?

Avoid such people and make the mirror your best friend.
Talk to it and say 'peoples critisicm of me is worthless and irrelevant. I feel sorry for those people.

Also 'man, im looking good today'

Dont waste your mirror time :)
Stay positive.

I'm a bit like your friend feeling other peoples feelings and always trying to help. I prefer people to blunt, unlike your friend. As wight said, honesty doesn't=rudeness.

As a matter of fact, if they were an empath then they would realize that they are causing you pain. What it sounds more like to me is that your friend has co-dependency issues and only feels good about themselves by helping others. An empath wouldn't be able to purposely hurt someone by calling them a monster and not feel their pain, believe me, I know.

If it's possible, I would try to fade or instantly take them out of your life. Whatever you are more comfortable with. You don't need any negativity like that, no one does.

And just for the record, a 'monster' wouldn't feel any feelings at all or try to figure out what to do in your situation by posting on a forum. ;)

You may be more honest and blunt but that doesn't mean you are a bad person. As for the idea of empathy I'm not sure it's a real thing. Compassion and sympathy, yes, but if empathy means - "The ability to identify with or understand the perspective, experiences, or motivations of another individual and to comprehend and share another individual's emotional state" it would be pretty much mind reading and I am almost sure nobody can do that. People can guess and imagine but they cannot really know and share. And even if some people can read minds it's certainly not a trait abundant in NTs but lacking in aspies. This person calling you a monster certainly shows that they lack compassion even if they could know how you feel.

The whole autistics don't have this mythical empathy and NTs do was started out of poor "science". My NT bf and aspie me both scored around a 12 and 13 on the empathy test. My bf is one of the kindest, most generous people I have ever known. The questions on the test require you to be able to accurately self report. So the more honest you are the lower you might score. Also there is no way to measure the things asked so you may have different ideas from someone else about the questions and score higher or lower accordingly. It's just a useless test pretending to measure a questionable concept.

I was just forced by circumstance to interact with a lot of NT relatives and NT friends of an aunt. They obviously had no idea a thing I was feeling and were completely unsympathetic to what I was going through. You are as likely to have sympathy and compassion as much as any NT, maybe more of it. You are not a monster and you are not less than an NT. If you do lack in compassion and sympathy that has nothing to do with autism and everything to do with being an average homo sapien. They simply are not traits found in abundance in the species as a whole.

I know many NT's and they are certainly not big on being empathetic! And as someone said to you, the person who had the audacity to say that to you, is showing them to be not empathetic at all and so, probably they help others, for selfish reasons.

Empathy is different from sympathy. Empathy is an ability to put one's "feet" in other's shoes, even if they have not gone through the same thing.

So, I think it is sympathy we lack, because I am not that sympathetic to many issues with humans. However, I have been told that I am highly empathetic, but only when in truth, I feel that it is warranted, like I know someone who is single and she desperately wants to be married, but it just isn't happening and she is surrounded by married couples. I have only experienced being single for a very short time, but I put myself in her shoes and thus, actually can say the right thing to her. NT's say things like: oh, marriage is not everything; you should be happy to be single blab blab blab.

Since being on aspiecentral, I have not sensed at all a lack of empathy at all.

ever since I was little, someone very close to me used to point out how self centered I was. I suspect they are an empath, as they are always trying to help everyone and reached out to everyone, even if they didn't know them. since I didn't constantly try to help everyone, this person used to scold me on my lack of empathy and called me a monster....

This person close to you isn't an empath - far from it, in fact. After that little monster tidbit, I'm tempted to say they've no business being close to anyone, much less giving advice. It's up to you if you want to remain in contact with them, but I'd consider taking anything this person says to you with a grain of salt from here on out.

The stereotype of lacking empathy as it relates to ASD is just that, a stereotype. It has been proven wrong time and time again from personal accounts (and from a scientific perspective, but I prefer to hear it straight from the horse's mouth). No, you're not a monster, nothing close to it...difficulties in showing empathy and a complete lack of it are not one and the same.

And, aside from all this, I just have to ask: if you really did lack empathy, would you have posted about it in the first place? I think for someone who's truly self-centered with little regard for others, that thought wouldn't be crossing their mind.

Last edited:
someone very close to me used to point out how self centered I was. I suspect they are an empath, as they are always trying to help everyone and reached out to everyone, even if they didn't know them. since I didn't constantly try to help everyone, this person used to scold me on my lack of empathy and called me a monster.

I feel terrible, but I see the world in black and white, there is no gray area.

I do too. I think logically and I break down complex problems and explain them simply.

So if you think like me then you will probably understand when I tell you that there is a contradiction here. This someone "tries to help everyone" but "keeps criticizing you". This someone is not the empath that they paint themselves to be.

There are many disorders here, the first that comes to mind is 'martyr syndrome', where a person has constantly been told they are not good enough as a child and so as an adult constantly make 'sacrifices' and help people to their own detriment, to get attention. This isn't helping people, this is a cry for attention.

So don't just assume that because they are trying to help people they are good and worth listening to.

Now this person will have their own issues and it's probably best to leave them to it and concentrate on you.

I often feel like something is wrong with me, and even though I try to be kind, sometimes I can only be honest. and that honesty comes off as me being rude... i'm tired of feeling like there is something wrong with me, and starting to wonder if I really am a monster or heartless, because this person keeps criticizing me for it. I know I am not a psychopath, and I do feel pity and grief for people- mostly anime and video game characters, but that's still something! so could this be part of my NVLD? and do any other people have this issue?

Stop that train of thought as soon as it starts! Imagine throwing it away. You are not a monster, you are not heartless. Everytime you start to suspect this, weed out the thought and throw it away.

We show kindness in different ways. I won't put my arm around someone and say "there there", but next time they make the same mistake I will remind them. I won't talk through someone's issues with them but I will try to solve the problem so it doesn't happen again. I won't console my son if he has failed a test but I will help him study for next time. There is no right way to help so we do what we can, what we are good at.

I know lack of empathy is a very well known aspie trait- can aspies and empaths live in harmony? because it really doesn't look like they can

Yes of course they can, I have been co-existing quite happily with my NT husband for over 17 years. But it takes mutual respect, a willingness to listen, communication and acceptance. By both parties.

The way you described yourself is pretty much how I would describe myself too. I've been told countless times that I'm rude or cold or heartless. I take no notice anymore, because I know I'm none of these things. It's other people who have a problem, because they cannot fathom how I think and therefore assume I must be a monster.

i DONT think any human is profoundly empathetic
the problem is she cant perceive what feel and think so she communicates like example that influenced her
and we should admit we do hurt people we are not saints
obviously not meaning to destroy but there are consequences for communicating feelings
i only really DONT speak as IVE realised i cant think profoundly and communicate that thought without a negative reaction
she obviously has no interest in disabilities like autism or this situation WOULDNT have occurred be circumspect about your relationship you have to indicate you respect yourself more ie boundaries indicated by speech i slight stiffening of body it says to the other person no what you are doing is wrong

I personally think one person with empathy and one with less empathy can coexist, and sometimes it is refreshing and needed, as long as each can be accepting of or understand those differences, and how it can be beneficial. But, maybe the two should have a basic rule to follow, like it is not the job of the empathetic person to keep getting the one with less empathy out of trouble.

My wife and I are somewhat opposites in terms of empathy, and that is very fine with me, as we have that same just stated understanding. Although we both are the honest type, I try to do it more balanced and tactful way, and sometimes she cannot because of some emotion, or as she has less ability to sense the impact of certain words she uses. This does not make her a bad person though.

I tend to have more empathy toward a variety of other persons, regardless if they share the same interests, personality, limitations or strengths as I. Sometimes though, it is good to have someone more direct, and be less afraid to not be politically correct in speech, as that can cut down on time, and not lead anyone else on.

For instance, sometimes my wife would be more apt to quickly tell a salesman, "No, I am interested," then close the door. Or she would take a long time to reply to most emails, when I am more prompt. For sellers, I, however, grew up listening to the entire sellers script, without a desire to offend, and then tell them politely why I was not interested.

Also, my attitude is "If my wife wants to state or do things her way to others then fine, but then do not expect me to act that same way if I have my own ways instead. In other words, each of us will be judged by how we treat others. As long as the offended person realizes my wife and I are separate persons, with different ways of expressing, I am fine. She would have to deal with others who took offense to her words.

My wife has empathy, but just less than me. That is not unempathetic of me to state that truth, as I do not criticize her for that, as she would not tell fat persons they were fat, or lazy persons were lazy, and she has helped many others before. I just take it to an extreme level sometimes, and those times I love it when she says, "Hey, David, you are doing too much. Think of yourself, too. You need to tell them that."

In general, try to have the right balance, if possible. Having some empathy is good, but if one has too much they will be taken advantage of in life. Having no empathy will create more problems in life. I see no big difference between Aspies and NTs regarding empathy, as very few NTs ever went out of there way to help me, and try to understand me and show true concern for me, regardless if it was a man or woman.

Last edited:
OK, well, then tell them politely to not speak to you in this manner.

Though, family or not, turn-about is fair play... they don't respect you, there is no particular reason to be respectful back.

Which reminds me, what is it about family that we will accept behaviors from them that we would never accept from someone else? What makes them think it's OK to treat family in a way they would never treat a stranger?

this person is a family member, and I do love and respect them, so it's not ideal to be disrespectful.
In my personal experience, those closest to us can do the most harm. We are emotionally torn up when they say hurtful things about us. We assume, since we love them, that they truly know us, so it is extremely tough to just discount what they say. Or, to stand up for ourselves, knowing how much conflict it could cause in our family. Even if we believe that they are wrong, our mind will pull up little 'tidbits' that make us question ourselves... creating a bit of doubt. The longer the hurtful message remains in play, the harder it is to feel confident that we actually are 'good'... which leads to lowered self-esteem... which leads to more doubt. It's vicious.

You're not the only person that has wondered if they're a monster... people often describe me as self centered and narcissistic... but who in the hell are they to judge?! I am not on trial! these people, these hypocrites are not fit enough to be my judge... don't listen to them... if it's constructive criticism then do listen... if they're just patronizing you tell them to get lost.

I can assure you that I personally don't find you to be less empathetic than the average human being... whenever you are on chat you are polite and you don't come across as self centered or selfish.

I had this friend who did the same thing, and would go on and on about how I wasn't being "compassionate" enough and needed to work on it. But to me I was only thinking logically, and logic should be put over feelings. I've kind of cut ties with her even though I don't think she understands why, but unlike my best freind, she just doesn't get my way of thinking and will not accept my opinions because they are "mean".

Since I was young I was accused of the same thing, and it also made me feel like a monster. I am still accused of this by some people, and it used to make me feel guilty until I self-diagnosed as an Aspie and realized this is part of my make up. I do think I sympathize, but I do not really empathize. I do help people out - what they are upset about is me not *acting* and making them *feel* as they think I should. I'll give you an example - when my mom got sick and was in the ICU, I slept on the hard floor of the waiting room every night until the nerve pains wouldn't let me. I did all I could to stand up for her in the whole medical process. But before she died, she still thought I had no heart - apparently an aunt of mine "comforted" her by explaining that I simply didn't know how to show love. Which angered me, because obviously, I do show love - but apparently not in a way that registers for other people, therefore it simply doesn't count to them. It's another way that NTs are blind, imho.

I am only friends with people who don't have this issue with me - some people just expect too much, imho. This is also why I hate and never fit in with things like "sisterhood" circles or other women's group type things. Actually, today I skipped out on a "tea party" because it was a whole bunch of females getting together and bonding and empathizing, doing that whole "laughing and crying together thing" or something like that. I hate all of that crud, lol :)

New Threads

Top Bottom