• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotionally Confused

Rudy Schmidt

Electric Child
Hi, all. I posted a rather waffling introductory post in the intro forum, but still have a lot of confusing feelings rattling around in my head. I'm posting this partly to get it off my chest and into text (which seems to help), and partly in hopes that others may share advice or similar experiences. I'll try not to be too long-winded.

I'm a 26 year old male who grew up in South Wales and moved by myself at age 21, to the USA to marry my current wife.

As a child, I was always eccentric and a loner, with many strange habits and mannerisms that I have since learned are textbook Aspergers. Nothing needed diagnosing because, despite my differences, I usually coped relatively well with them.

As an adult, my personality hasn't changed much, although my eccentricities seem to have exaggerated themselves. I put much of this down to my dramatic change in environment (it's been five years, and I still don't fit in).

A recent spike in my meltdowns and a collapse of my ability to cope with other people prompted some research. I always knew I was different, but I never knew quite how or why - I thought maybe I was just weirdly obsessive (OCD, perhaps?), had some odd tics (or habits, as my nan called them), or was just simply devastatingly introverted.

Anyway, when I looked into this and started talking to people about it, it became clear that my symptoms were identical to most of those described by AS. From obvious ones like having to run to the toilet to escape from people for a few minutes, all the way down to tiny quirks I never thought of before, like pacing in circles, getting unhealthily attached to inanimate objects, fearing even small changes, and forging your own personality Borg-style by taking mannerisms etc you liked from other people.

That was all well and good, but there was one thing that didn't sit right with me - the social aspect. Even though I never liked socializing and get easily exhausted (and sometimes panicked) by it, I've always been good at it. I can make jokes; if somebody is really upset with me, I usually know; I recognize most facial expressions; etc. And I've always been good - or at least, I THOUGHT I was good - at mapping behaviour. People are like computers - if Event A happens to them, usually Reaction B follows. Certain things make people act different ways. People like certain behaviours and hate others. They often miss certain things (like if you pretend to put a piece of food into your mouth and eat it, even if there's no food on the plate, they don't notice, even if they're looking right at you).

I've watched these social rules my whole life and learned them really well. So now, when I interact with people, I know how to do it to get positive responses (unfortunately, I often feel like the ONLY person who follows those rules, as other people don't seem to care if they make you happy or not). This seemed totally counter to what I know about AS.

So I took the tests - many different tests - expecting to barely be on the spectrum, if at all. My test results were far higher than I expected, however:

Aspie score: 160 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200

AQ: 37-40 (took it many times)

RAADS-R total score: 171

I admit than when I saw all of these results in front of me, I had a breakdown. It was like someone had punched a giant hole in my whole worldview. Everything that was normal to me was suddenly abnormal. I even had my wife take the tests herself, to see if the tests were wrong, but she scored very neurotypically.

As I said in another thread, I have no insurance, and don't earn nearly enough to get a formal diagnosis, but the tests, the evidence, and the opinions of close friends and relatives (several of whom have degrees in psychology and extensive experience with Autism and Aspergers) seem to all but guarantee it. And I think I know it in my gut, too, on most levels.

I still have a problem accepting it. I think I'm glad that my quirks are explained, but now I'm second guessing myself at every turn. My normal personality seems flawed and wrong, and I've been in a sort of poker-faced state for days. I know I haven't changed, and that I'm not supposed to change, and I'm sure that I'll get my normal personality back soon, but I feel like a computer that just had its entire hard drive corrupted. I can't tell if the tests are all wrong, or if I'm wrong, or if I'm just blind to my own differences. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy - I like knowing why I'm so different, and that I'm not just a screwed-up NT - It's just awful confusing.

Has anybody else had a reaction like this? Does anybody have any thoughts or advice?

Last edited:
I think you are clearly an Aspie. Don't worry about whether the social aspect fits...the usual social difficulties are really just an effect of Aspergers, rather than themselves being part of the essence of Aspergers.
As Tony Atwood defined it, Aspergers is a "different" way of thinking.

I think you are clearly an Aspie. Don't worry about whether the social aspect fits...the usual social difficulties are really just an effect of Aspergers, rather than themselves being part of the essence of Aspergers.
As Tony Atwood defined it, Aspergers is a "different" way of thinking.

Those few lines are some of the most reassuring things I've heard since this all started - thanks a lot. :) I've heard a lot about Tony Atwood - I really need to read some of his work.

Absolutely! Thanks for sharing.

Not really as I'm still working through it myself. But watch out for depression which may hit about this time. How's your wife responding to the news?
Thanks for the reply. :D It's comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this. I'd be interested to hear your side of it, if you wouldn't be uncomfortable sharing.

As for my wife, I asked her how she feels, and she says that, above all, she's relieved because now we both know how to deal with some of the more unpleasant quirks (particularly the meltdowns, which always freaked her out before). She also says she feels some guilt, because a lot of my quirks (that now make total sense) used to irritate her, before she knew about the Aspergers.

I'd be interested to hear your side of it, if you wouldn't be uncomfortable sharing.
In words? Maybe I can try. Sometimes I'd like to be like Spock, put my fingers on the side of someone's head and share my thoughts. Sometimes words get in the way.

I started reading Tony Attwood's Complete Guide (still the best book I've read on the topic, but definitely from NT perspective) because of concerns we had about our elder son. Only problem was each page seemed to be describing my own childhood. I didn't really want to know this, but I couldn't really avoid it either. Eventually I had to confess my thoughts/conclusions to my wife.

Often I just want to ignore it and hope it goes away, but it always comes back to bite me. I can't escape who I am. I feel some relief in understanding myself better, but I feel all my hopes, dreams and plans have been ripped away from me. Now I know what the obstacle is I have little hope. I know I haven't changed just because I read the book. But I'm not who I thought I was. Nor will any amount of effort make me into who I wanted to be. I don't know who I am anymore. I don't know what is realistic to aim for. I no longer know what I am good at. I know there are advantages in being aspie, but for now it is much easier to see the negatives.

For me it's probably bad timing as I'm in my mid forties where many guys have their mid life crisis anyway. While my wife is supportive, she has struggled to see me struggle.

I'll stop now, tears make it hard to focus...

Last edited:
At first, I kinda panicked. Then, I briefly went through an arrogant phase ("Aspies are the best"). Now, I find it comforting, and have a nice sense of equivalency with NTs.

I'm also pretty social, but am definitely an Aspie. Some traits are just stronger in certain individuals:).

Yes, RELAX. It is perfectly OK to be the way you are, and a diagnosis is not needed. It sounds as though you may be over analyzing this. If you are looking for sense, don't. Just accept that you are special, and make the best of it. Along with your special struggles, you have certain gifts. Make the best of these, and work on being comfortable in your own skin.
It is a lot, to struggle for so long, and then to find out you are so different. Many of us went through this. I did not find out until I was 48 years old. So many failed marriages, lost jobs, lost friends, crazy thoughts, bad days and great moments. Suddenly, like a bullet, it hit me. It took some time, but I was overcome with gratitude to discover what I was about. The missing link between me and society.
Now I delight in my differences, and my special ability to see things in such a simplistic form. I start each day with no expectations, so every positive thing is a bonus.
Good luck my friend. Find your happy thought.

Rudy, probably the most important thing is that you became aware of your own neurology at a relatively early age. You have the rest of your life to adjust to it in a constructive and positive way. That's a long time using my math! Hang in there. ;)

I know I haven't changed just because I read the book. But I'm not who I thought I was. Nor will any amount of effort make me into who I wanted to be. I don't know who I am anymore. I don't know what is realistic to aim for. I no longer know what I am good at.
These few lines here - I can relate to this more closely than anything. I feel exactly the same. I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with it, though. :( I can't say whether or not it'll get easier, because I'm new to this myself, but I hope it does.

At first, I kinda panicked. Then, I briefly went through an arrogant phase ("Aspies are the best"). Now, I find it comforting, and have a nice sense of equivalency with NTs.

I'm also pretty social, but am definitely an Aspie. Some traits are just stronger in certain individuals:).
I have to admit, I also think there are a lot of traits about this that I particularly like. My ultra-singular focus can be a pain when I don't hear or see anything else around me, but being able to focus and bury myself in a topic like that is something I wouldn't want to give up.

And, honestly, from many of the things I've observed in how other people interact with each other (which seems to be made up primarily of conflict, both playful and serious), I'm not all that interested in doing that. :/

Yes, RELAX. It is perfectly OK to be the way you are, and a diagnosis is not needed. It sounds as though you may be over analyzing this. If you are looking for sense, don't. Just accept that you are special, and make the best of it. Along with your special struggles, you have certain gifts. Make the best of these, and work on being comfortable in your own skin.
It is a lot, to struggle for so long, and then to find out you are so different. Many of us went through this. I did not find out until I was 48 years old. So many failed marriages, lost jobs, lost friends, crazy thoughts, bad days and great moments. Suddenly, like a bullet, it hit me. It took some time, but I was overcome with gratitude to discover what I was about. The missing link between me and society.
Now I delight in my differences, and my special ability to see things in such a simplistic form. I start each day with no expectations, so every positive thing is a bonus.
Good luck my friend. Find your happy thought.
Reading this helped a lot. I can already relate to a lot of what you said. And you were right about me over-analysing things - I over analyse EVERYTHING that makes me anxious. You should see me when I think somebody's upset at me, heh. But seriously, thank you for your encouragement. I really needed reassurance, and this is all helping a lot. :)

Rudy, probably the most important thing is that you became aware of your own neurology at a relatively early age. You have the rest of your life to adjust to it in a constructive and positive way. That's a long time using my math! Hang in there. ;)
Thanks! :D Yeah, my first reaction was "how did nobody catch this sooner? I'm 26!" But after reading many accounts from people here who were in their forties and fifties, I realize that, actually, 26 IS an early catch by many standards.

Still mulling on this thread. I think the older you discover you are an Aspie, the more likely you are to go through a mourning/grief process. I've been through denial. Depression has been hard. I think as I talk about it, it becomes easier to accept.

Still mulling on this thread. I think the older you discover you are an Aspie, the more likely you are to go through a mourning/grief process. I've been through denial. Depression has been hard. I think as I talk about it, it becomes easier to accept.
Yeah - I'm still having a really hard time accepting it. That whole thing I said about how my personality and worldview was on a temporary hiatus? It still hasn't fully come back. My own behaviour now feels unnatural, even artificial to me. I'm having to re-examine things I always thought I knew from scratch. For example, I thought I was unhappy and alienated because I moved to the USA, away from my own culture. But now I think that it's a GOOD thing - now that I remember it, I was pretty much seen as an oddbod in Wales, too - at least here I'm a foreigner, and some behavioural differences are expected.

But I still haven't settled. Some days I feel very happy exploring through these new eyes. Then, other days,I worry that I'm barking up the wrong tree, that I'm not an Aspie at all, just a malfunctioning NT who desperately wants to fit somewhere.

I'm glad to hear you're finding it easier to accept. And I appreciate you bringing it back up, too. I'm sorry that you're having trouble, but it also feels comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this right now. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom