• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Embroidery anyone?

kay

This weekend I decided to learn to embroidery and so far so good. It seems to leaving little pin pricks in the end of my finger but not deep ones but other than that I am looking forward to learning more than one stitch. Anyone else tried it? Know any good stitches?

French knots and Lazy daisy are useful.
I don't know what stitch I am doing, but that stem stitch in the video looks easy. I think I'll try that next. I've seen the lazy daisy one, of course I should be doing that one. French knots seem difficult but I like the effect.

I did it a bit as a kid, but about the only one I could possibly remember now is chain stitch.

Stem stitch is pretty easy.
Seed stitch is easy.

French knots are fun once you get them
under control. :)

Lazy daisies aren't hard.

I have used all these to decorate patches on blue jeans.

This weekend I decided to learn to embroidery and so far so good. It seems to leaving little pin pricks in the end of my finger but not deep ones but other than that I am looking forward to learning more than one stitch. Anyone else tried it? Know any good stitches?
The stitch I love is Satin stitch ,my mother liked needlepoint which is a finer form of Crosstitch .

I love to do all kinds of sewing and needlework and started at age 6. It’s a great way to distress. My work has been in some shows too. I love embroidery, crochet, needle felting, and punch needle the best. I have never been interested in cross stitch but have done it.

I love complexity in embroidery! I have many books on the historical stitches. I did a Victorian type patchwork quilt with all those different embellishing seam stitches. I also love the simplicity of Japanese Boro stitching and find that to be the most meditative.

So far I am liking the chain stitch my favorite. I started working with stem/split stitch today and I prefer the little loops of the chain. Though re-watching the video that @tree posted I think I just need a more practice. Something about stem/split just seems clumsier to me, but in the video it's not like that.

So far I am liking the chain stitch my favorite. I started working with stem/split stitch today and I prefer the little loops of the chain. Though re-watching the video that @tree posted I think I just need a more practice. Something about stem/split just seems clumsier to me, but in the video it's not like that.
I only had a problem with the stitches when the fabric wasn't an on embroidery hoop.
I completely forgot this morning ,I think that's the reason in the past sampler was done first, I completely forgot about my mothers sampler

If your threads are twisting @kay,

Raise hoop (with work still in place) and let threaded needle dangle underneath. (No hands)

Should untwist naturally.

I hope that makes sense?
:)

If your threads are twisting @kay,

Raise hoop (with work still in place) and let threaded needle dangle underneath. (No hands)

Should untwist naturally.

I hope that makes sense?
:)
Yep. That's part of the problem, I need to let it untwist from time to time. Thanks for the de-twisting method!:)But also just need more practice. It's hard to train my fingers at something new that is so tiny. And I started Sunday so I think it's going well considering. It's not frustrating, just interesting. Particularly since my stitches are not uniform. Almost hope to keep that quality to some degree.

Your practice will help muscle memory and hand to eye co ordination.

The more you do, the more natural it becomes.

I currently can’t sit still for long enough to start a project but I can remember enjoying discovering and practicing the different stitches, I particularly enjoyed the end result.

Embroidery work can look so beautiful.

Wearing a thimble may save your fingers from those tiny needle pricks to begin with.
They can feel clumsy on the end of a finger but serve a purpose:)

Your practice will help muscle memory and hand to eye co ordination.

The more you do, the more natural it becomes.

I currently can’t sit still for long enough to start a project but I can remember enjoying discovering and practicing the different stitches, I particularly enjoyed the end result.

Embroidery work can look so beautiful.

Wearing a thimble may save your fingers from those tiny needle pricks to begin with.
They can feel clumsy on the end of a finger but serve a purpose:)
I might make it 6 months with this new hobby. I have that tendency. And I really don't sit still well either so I do a bit and then get up for awhile and do something else, like look here on the forum or clean the bathtub and then back to the embroidery. What inspired me to try this are some tea towels I inherited from an aunt who died last year. They had dancing tea cups on them. So cute.

My mother in law worked away at a piece over late autumn and winter.
(Cold, dark nights)

When she framed and hung the completed piece I was so amazed I had to find out how to do that.

It was a male peacock. About 20” tall.
The colours were mesmerising, the detail intricate, the work almost perfect.
It really was beautiful.

I doubt I’ll ever aspire to the dizzy heights of work like that.
(I seem to need a practical reason to put that much time and work into a project)

My mother in law worked away at a piece over late autumn and winter.
(Cold, dark nights)

When she framed and hung the completed piece I was so amazed I had to find out how to do that.

It was a male peacock. About 20” tall.
The colours were mesmerising, the detail intricate, the work almost perfect.
It really was beautiful.

I doubt I’ll ever aspire to the dizzy heights of work like that.
(I seem to need a practical reason to put that much time and work into a project)

It’s called meditation. Some people do yoga, and others sit and meditate . I do needlework for meditation. It does not have to any other reason.

New Threads

Top Bottom