• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Elisabeth Wiklander / Michelle Vines

Skids

I am a recently diagnosed man and parent and have high functioning aspergers or whatever the correct term is nowadays and I've just turned 40. I don't generally go onto youtube and social media sites in general but I was looking for some more of people's real life experiences with high functioning aspergers and came across two videos on youtube which having watched them both and absorbed them activated that 'light bulb' moment which i'm sure many of us have had when realizing it all fits into place.

Apologies in advance as i'm sure most of you have already become aware of these videos a long time ago and know the two ladies i'm mentioning but I have only just come across them and watching their speeches / presentations both brought me to tears and inspired me at the same time as I felt I could relate instantly to every single word spoken and every single challenge faced by them.

One woman is called Elisabeth Wiklander and she is a Swedish cellist in the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the other is an Australian woman called Michelle Vines.

I don't use facebook etc but if I could get in touch with them to let them know that their videos have literally just changed my life and offer my gratitude for their bravery and courage then i'd be a happier man.

The last few years I have developed generalised anxiety disorder and depression as a direct consequence of confusion and resistance brought on by 20 years of consistently living my life as somebody i'm not and having to constantly force myself to live a life that my brain physically isn't wired up to be able to cope with nor understand.

The precision, confidence and proudness I perceived in her when Elisabeth began her speech with the words 'I am autistic' was special. I'm no longer going to let NT's and an NT world define me because although i'm one of those who can survive in this world without being discovered, usually at great cost in terms of conflict and suffering internally, I don't want to survive anymore as a pretend NT. I want to live my life as I am biologically programmed to do as a man with high functioning aspergers syndrome. That's natural for me and if anyone has an issue with that then tough. Life begins at 40 they say and I've always typically said that no it doesn't. It begins when you are born but I get the saying.

Thanks to Elisabeth and Michelle so does mine.

I've spent my life trying to fit in as best I can and for what? I play the drums so have decided to start making some metal songs with a couple of NT mates who i'm perfectly at ease with and they too are at ease with my quirkiness and issues. I'm 40 but it's not too late. Music could be my future as music is with Elisabeth Wiklander.

I am also going to write a few books and get involved with autism groups and fundraising and trying to help fight the fight for people like me and indeed people on the other end of the spectrum who must be finding living life a hundred times more tougher than myself.

I've somehow got a new sense of perspective and motivation now and can begin to move forward after being stuck in a not very nice place for quite a while. There is no help or support out there whatsoever for people like me in my area and we are just left to figure this **** out for ourselves and work through the myriad offshoot problems that stack up such as low self esteem, loss of confidence, loss of identity, anxiety, stress, illness, depression, panic attacks, shutdowns and all that.

Watching these two women has awoken much of the fight, spirit and doggedness I had when I was a bit younger and that gradually got dulled by burnout and confusion. I can do this now. I can do it.

I just really wanted to ask any of you if you are aware of Wiklander and Vines (probably a stupid question) and what you make of both of these remarkable and inspirational women and also if there is anything else out there that they have done such as more videos or books they may have written.

Thanks.

Last edited:
IMG_0323.JPG
Welcome if you need to access any help via psychiatry or the government what you have now is called high functioning autism or mild high functioning autism ,Aspergers syndrome was abandoned by the psychiatric community because they thought neuro typicals would think that we were all geniuses and our life is perfect because of the diagnosis ,so after 2013 it was changed to the diagnosis of hfa

Welcome! I don’t know who Elisabeth Wiklander and Michelle Vines are, thank you for the information!
181A52F0-1525-419F-80C5-AEC72242F359.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom