• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

El Paso Massacre...

I didn't see anything related to autism in the article thankfully, but I guess it could be inferred or come into play considering his lifestyle.
Thousands of people in a Walmart? I kind of find that far-fetched, but I've never been to that Walmart.
Anyways, another sad situation, exacerbated by the media and there will surely be more as long as the media keeps covering shootings like this and giving other whackos ideas. In my opinion.

I didn't see anything related to autism in the article thankfully, but I guess it could be inferred or come into play considering his lifestyle.
His biography paints him as a disgruntled "Software Developer." That is, he is capable of doing/keeping that job even when he doesn't want to.

I don't think that "autism" has anything to do with it, the guy didn't seem autistic. Actually, this sort of fatalistic nihilism is rather common among "postmillenials" (born after ~1995). My cousin's two kids, ages 16 and 13, are like this. They simply don't care about anything. It's different from the "slacker" milieu of the early 90s, that one was a conscious rejection of the excessive materialism of the first half of the Baby Boomers.

Kids today just don't care, about anything. They have been told so often that the world will end in 20 years due to global warming, terrorism, overpopulation, and so on, and they have grown up under a system where the favored few literally get away with murder while the rest are locked up for life under the flimsiest of pretenses, that they don't see any reason to better themselves. After all, they will be loaded down with debt, working three menial jobs which will barely allow them to eat, only for the earth to go insane and kill them all within a few years, so why should they lift a finger?

It reminds me of the attitude of the young Argentines who grew up in the wake of their country's total socioeconomic collapse from 2001 onwards. All the kids do is smoke "paco" which is actually the waste product from cocaine processing. Paco makes its users extremely, unpredictably violent, like flakka only far worse, and the kids slaughter people indiscriminately before dying themselves within six months. And that's not a problem, in fact it's the whole point. Go out in a blaze of glory.

It reminds me of Albania after Hoxha died (1985), there were roving gangs of youths killing people at random and finally the whole society imploded in 1996 and people looted armories and started killing each other for fun. In Argentina it's called "estan jugados", literally "they're played out", meaning that the kids had the dice thrown for them before they were born and they lost.

I don't think that "autism" has anything to do with it,...
I agree that it wasn't driven by autism, but there are markers there that he might be on the spectrum, too. Autistic dyssociety fails to produce the internal "bad idea" flag when there are other confounding factors at play.

On the flip side, it may be an autistic that develops a weapon and/or strategy to counter this type of behavior. One's perseveration is even a greater factor.

I don't make/haven't made this observation for every mass shooting that comes along. (I didn't see any signs of ASD on the Las Vegas shooter. And I think that he was from a different generation, too.)

Last edited:
There have been many shootings of a more personal nature also where I live.
It just goes on and on.
Whether it is the mass shootings or the more domestic, few people involved types that I hear on
the news every day, I also notice the media always puts out the idea that they are the odd
or unsocial, no friends, quiet and avoidant of others personality types in the description.

I also notice the media always puts out the idea that they are the odd
or unsocial, no friends, quiet and avoidant of others personality types in the description.
There is full-blown anti-social, but I think that autistics start off as dyssocial. We could turn anti-social over time with a co-morbid psychopathy, but there are psychopaths who are anti-social from the outset.

I haven't read anything to suggest he is autistic. Interesting that he has a twin sister. These horrific massacres are occurring almost daily now in the US. I think people are becoming numb to the news stories because there are so many mass shootings on a regular basis.

There have been many shootings of a more personal nature also where I live.
It just goes on and on.
Whether it is the mass shootings or the more domestic, few people involved types that I hear on
the news every day, I also notice the media always puts out the idea that they are the odd
its airguns where I live mainly injuring or killing cats ,dogs ,birds.
I go almost catatonic if I see an air rifle .

Does it really happen that often?
Just look at the coverage. "it's fueled by racism and bigotry and division" (Like holy crap, do you people actually speak English as a native language?!), "senseless violence". Just buzzwords rather than any effort at introspection at what causes these shootings.

I guess I am part of the nihilistic generation. When I hear of stories like this I don't think "oh how terrible". I'm thinking, how many are dead, and did any animals get hurt?

All-in-all, I think it could have been worse. At least he wasn't one of the people shooting cats, dogs and birds with an air rifle. But nobody seems to care about that, another sign of just how sick our society has become.

No other person is responsible for the actions of this man. Who choose to kill everyone regardless of skin color or nationality. Hate is not constrained by such things. It blinds people into hurting everyone around them. Quit watching the news. It will make you feel sick. Be inspiring lift up the world around you. We cant change what others do or say. But we can choose not to make the choices or say the things they do.

I think that autism is going to be blamed again.
:(
Possibly. It's frustrating for me when people want to focus too much on race, or religion, or whether someone's autistic in relation to violence they commit when there is violence occurring in every country...even in people's homes.

I also notice the media always puts out the idea that they are the odd or unsocial, no friends, quiet and avoidant of others personality types in the description.
And if that's linked to violent behaviour then quite a few of us on this forum might be in trouble :p
The media does us quiet people with few friends a great disservice by stirring things up negatively with the focus on that all the time.

its airguns where I live mainly injuring or killing cats ,dogs ,birds.
I go almost catatonic if I see an air rifle .
That is awful @Streetwise It must feel very unsafe :(

Last I read tonight on the Ohio shooter was 12 years ago he was dismissed from school for keeping a
hit list and names of girls he wanted to rape.
That should have been enough it said to kept him from being able to buy the gun.
His own sister was amongst the ones killed.

Between broadcast news and government, I have a feeling this isn't going to filter down to anything neurological, but simply remain within the realm of domestic terrorism.

Though whenever these events happen, I often cringe at the thought of what might ultimately be the proximate cause of what motivates people to do such terrible things.

@Crossbreed, just 14 hours after the El Paso shooting a guy named Connor Betts went to the downtown nightclub district in Dayton, Ohio, with his sister and her bf. Connor stayed at the car while sis and bf went to a bar. A few minutes later Connor shows up with a Bushmaster-type rifle (AR-15 clone) and starts killing at random. 9 dead, 20+ wounded. Sis and bf are among the dead. Connor was then killed by police. He was a real weirdo who kept telling girls at his HS that he wanted to rape and strangle them for fun. He finally got kicked out after writing a list of names of target girls on a wall. Then they let him back in the next school year. Old classmates from HS say they're glad he's dead because he was so evil and twisted.

:(
Possibly. It's frustrating for me when people want to focus too much on race, or religion, or whether someone's autistic in relation to violence they commit when there is violence occurring in every country...even in people's homes.

And if that's linked to violent behaviour then quite a few of us on this forum might be in trouble :p
The media does us quiet people with few friends a great disservice by stirring things up negatively with the focus on that all the time.

That is awful @Streetwise It must feel very unsafe :(
Im like an animal living in a burrow ,I run back to my burrow until its quiet, its shattering not being close to the burrow Ive never felt safe since I was born

I don't think that "autism" has anything to do with it, the guy didn't seem autistic. Actually, this sort of fatalistic nihilism is rather common among "postmillenials" (born after ~1995). My cousin's two kids, ages 16 and 13, are like this. They simply don't care about anything. It's different from the "slacker" milieu of the early 90s, that one was a conscious rejection of the excessive materialism of the first half of the Baby Boomers.
I agree with this entirely. Speaking as a zoomer myself, the zoomer life feels like a repeat of what happened to Gen X like in the novel Less Than Zero.

New Threads

Top Bottom