• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ebay problems

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
So last night I bought a Zorro outfit for a fancy dress Christmas Party next week on eBay.

I contacted the seller today, as they said the item would be delivered between the 16th and 18th, and I need it by the 18th, and they have yet to respond or even acknowledge my contact.

I have been using eBay as both a buyer and seller for years so I know not to buy from sellers or sell to people with less than perfect feedback. However, this particular seller has 99.7% positive so I gave them a chance.

If the item doesn't arrive in time is there anything I can do?

I am aware of Google.

If it hasn't been shipped yet perhaps you could pay for a faster shipping service. Mail tends to be slower this time of year.

You might try googling for ideas you can work up for
a different costume, as a back up, in case the item
doesn't arrive in time for the party.

You might try googling for ideas you can work up for
a different costume, as a back up, in case the item
doesn't arrive in time for the party.

I don't have the time or skills to make my own costume, but I do have other options if it doesn't come.

However if the Zorro suit doesn't come before I leave on Monday to get to the Housing's Christmas do at 15.00 GMT, I WILL be handing out negative feedback on their eBay account.

If you're having problems with Amazon over shipments in the month of December, why would you expect EBay to be any different?

This has already been discussed.

Amazon Marketplace problems

The items in question on the Amazon topic were ordered in October and November.

@Butterfly88 why should I pay for faster shipping? It's down to the seller to ship the item in their specified time frame, anything less and they risk getting negative feedback.

Also, a while back I bought my Niece's Christmas present on eBay, seller used Hermes to deliver, and it was a nightmare! Predictably I was out when the delivery bloke came, no note through the door or anything, so I had to spend an hour Googling their local phone number, till I discovered that the nearest Hermes centre is in Kimberworth, Rotherham.

Last edited:
I don't have the time or skills to make my own costume, but I do have other options if it doesn't come.

However if the Zorro suit doesn't come before I leave on Monday to get to the Housing's Christmas do at 15.00 GMT, I WILL be handing out negative feedback on their eBay account.
It's not the seller's fault if the mail is slow.

The items in question on the Amazon topic were ordered in October and November.

You are asking a question with the same answer. If you order something in a peak season period, expect delays.

What part of this do you not understand? :rolleyes:

Sadly so. In the worst peak season (Christmas) it effects everyone down the line from distributors to retailers. Whether it's Amazon or EBay. Or postal sources like From UPS to the USPS.

Then factor in record online sales for December 2017.

Essentially all the players are simply operating beyond capacity in the same time frame. Whether one pays for faster shipping or not becomes irrelevant. Just too many circumstances beyond their control.

Last edited:

It kind of is if it's Thursday today and the deadline for delivery is this Saturday and they haven't even dispatched, even first class post doesn't come the next day if they dispatch tomorrow.

But it is only the 14th today and, Rich, you only got in touch today.

Don't automatically conclude that because they have not responded, that they are not going to respond.

But it is only the 14th today and, Rich, you only got in touch today.

Don't automatically conclude that because they have not responded, that they are not going to respond.

Good point. That's yet another factor to consider. The logistics of communication itself through email. One can only imagine how many record numbers of emails are going back and forth about late shipments, delays, etc..that may be impacting servers. They may be trying in earnest to contact customers with technical delays as well.

I'm afraid while we may not see any appreciable improvement on such things this year, perhaps next year we might. Along with any number of increased costs passed onto the consumer as a consequence.

After all, present business trends reflect the same dynamic. Pullbacks in brick-and-mortar retailers and marked increases in Internet sales on the whole. Something was bound to give under the circumstances. The logistics of distribution being behind the curve of sales. No matter how badly someone wants what they bought to reach them in a timely manner.

Even the world's biggest retailer is being slowed down by their own success. Amusing to see who is being more candid by these issues and who doesn't want to admit it.

Online Order Boom Slows Walmart's Deliveries | PYMNTS.com

Last edited:
The response time on an Ebay communication can have up to a 48 hour lag in order for the party you are contacting to respond.

Even under the most optimal conditions for sales traffic I never assume anything ordered will arrive precisely at a time suggested by either the retailer or postal authorities. Just too many variables. Frankly I'm impressed when something really does arrive on time.

The one thing I don't like is how UPS just knocks once on my door and leaves the merchandise on the porch. No security compared to USPS deliveries where they are locked in a bin and the key going to my mailbox.

Right now I have a couple of things I'd like to order online but I'm not going to bother until probably the second week of January. Even then that might be overly optimistic. o_O

Post Christmas returns, attempts by retail to extend a peak season...etc., etc..

Good point. That's yet another factor to consider. The logistics of communication itself through email. One can only imagine how many record numbers of emails are going back and forth about late shipments, delays, etc..that may be impacting servers. They may be trying in earnest to contact customers with technical delays as well.

I'm afraid while we may not see any appreciable improvement on such things this year, perhaps next year we might. Along with any number of increased costs passed onto the consumer as a consequence.

After all, present business trends reflect the same dynamic. Pullbacks in brick-and-mortar retailers and marked increases in Internet sales on the whole. Something was bound to give under the circumstances. The logistics of distribution being behind the curve of sales. No matter how badly someone wants what they bought to reach them in a timely manner.

Even the world's biggest retailer is being slowed down by their own success. Amusing to see who is being more candid by these issues and who doesn't want to admit it.

Online Order Boom Slows Walmart's Deliveries | PYMNTS.com
If depends on the eBay seller some of them contacted me within a few hours ,some a couple of days . I only order from sellers Who get a 100 percent feedback as they usually either don't give a refund or just don't respond.
The sellers I have purchased anything from are always very helpful.
The only problem I had is with the couriers especially Royal Mail Who don't bother to take a signature for tracked items .
They've left other peoples parcels at my house before I even Knew they had delivered them. It seems to be postman Who bring small letters who are negligent.

If depends on the eBay seller some of them contacted me within a few hours ,some a couple of days . I only order from sellers Who get a 100 percent feedback as they usually either don't give a refund or just don't respond.
The sellers I have purchased anything from are always very helpful.
The only problem I had is with the couriers especially Royal Mail Who don't bother to take a signature for tracked items .
They've left other peoples parcels at my house before I even Knew they had delivered them. It seems to be postman Who bring small letters who are negligent.

What makes it all so potentially precarious is too many transactions in too tight a time frame, brought on by a peak season with unprecedented online sales. A peak season period that I might add is pretty much now extended to even before Thanksgiving in the US. So much for the exclusivity of "Black Friday".

A situation where even the most optimistic ratings of sellers may- or may no longer count.

Last edited:
What makes it all so potentially precarious is too many transactions in too tight a time frame, brought on by a peak season with unprecedented online sales.

A situation where even the most optimistic ratings of sellers may- or may not count.
The feedback I've read was very accurate and sadly the Royal mail do this every day of the year , not just December, I've had various parcels delivered to my house which were for other streets in my area.

The feedback I've read was very accurate and sadly the Royal mail do this every day of the year , not just December, I've had various parcels delivered to my house which were for other streets in my area.

Good point. That's yet another factor. Not only the different postal authorities involved, but how optimally- or not they function relative to a specific geographical area. The goods got sent, yet they didn't necessarily arrive where they should.

I've read and seen some of the most horrific stories of the USPS. Luckily I never lived in an area where they seemed most prevalent. Just another factor to add to the list where paying customers have little or no say.

And no one has mentioned the weather! :eek:

Last edited:
Good point. That's yet another factor. Not only the different postal authorities involved, but how optimally- or not they function relative to a specific geographical area.

I've read and seen some of the most horrific stories of the USPS. Luckily I never lived in an area where they seemed most prevalent. Just another factor to add to the list where paying customers have little or no say.

And no one has mentioned the weather! :eek:
I remember a documentary about the Royal mail in London and the postal worker saying he was ashamed because he had a box with contact lenses in it and I knew the person who needed them is going to suffer

I remember a documentary about the Royal mail in London and the postal worker saying he was ashamed because he had a box with contact lenses in it and I knew the person who needed them is going to suffer

No doubt. I know some time ago I watched a covert video of a postal worker parking his truck by a creek and just throwing away the mail into the creek. Luckily it was quickly reported and most of the mail was recovered. It may even be on YouTube.

But yeah, bad and unforeseen things can happen within the care, custody and control of the postal authorities as well. Public and private.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom