• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating Out

LeroyT1000

From time to time we all have to venture out for food with other people or on your own. Sometimes we might enjoy doing this. Anyway, I'm interested in what you find annoying when you go out for something to eat? It could be to do with absolutely anything. The staff; the people surrounding you; the people or person you're with; the place itself; the menus; toilets.....Anything at all please share!

I will only share one with you all. I hate it when I'm asked if everything is ok with my meal whilst I'm eating it. Usually my mouth is full when asked so feels very awkward. I would prefer to give my feedback at the end of a meal and if I didn't like something I would complain at the same moment. I feel it would be much more practical if they just asked if I would like anything else not is everything ok with my meal. If I didn't like the meal then me responding with "No it tastes like cardboard" would probably stun the waiting staff. Anyway, that's me lol! I've probably only been to one or two places that have got the hospitality just right for me. Serve great food and give great service and provide a great experience then you can ask me how everything is no problem at all!!!!

I haven't been to a restaurant in months. I can hear the conversation of people at the next table. I don't like the rush. I don't like the music. I don't like sitting in booths, only tables. Sometimes the lighting bothers me too. I like take-out.

Too loud, sometimes too bright. I like the food. Staff tend to be people I went to school with (small town) so I do find that awkward. Sound is the biggest issue. Also have to walk quite a bit which can be annoying. Like a minimum of 1km to the train station, or 3km to places nearer to where I live. Do enjoy though, other than sound.

There's two things annoy me about restaurant toilets and indeed public toilets in general. One is hand dryers; they never work, it's only the dyson airblades that actually work as they should. The other thing is people who don't wash their hands when in the toilet; I see you going to the toilet and walking out, don't think I don't know! I wash my hands like a normal person but now I have to touch that door handle which you just placed your penis-fresh grubby mitts on!

The amount of sound in a restaurant can be a bit annoying too, my ears seem more interested in the parts of conversations from other tables than the one I mostly hear at mine. I lose the ability to tune out conversations from other people, it can be quite annoying.

I dine out quite often and, I have several annoyances when dinning out.

1. Food delivered to me that either is not what I ordered or, that is not prepared properly. I will send it back, and ask to speak with the chef in both cases.

2. Wait staff catering to me before other customers that were seated before I was, simply because of who I am. It isn't right. Whomever was seated first should be served first, but that is rarely the case when a high profile customer dines at a restaurant.

3. Wait staff paying me extra attention, especially when I'm dining with not so well known companions and, they are all but ignore because I am at the table. I will call the staff out on that one. I am no more deserving of the services of the wait staff than anyone else who dines there, especially if they are my companions for the meal.

4. Screaming or crying children not being hushed quickly or removed from the restaurant. If your child cannot behave properly and, quietly for the duration of the meal, you should not have brought them to the restaurant in the first place. If it is a rare outburst, you, as the parent or guardian for the meal should either be able to clam the child quickly, or have the courtesy to remove the child from the restaurant so that they do not disrupt the meal for other customers.

4. Vermin of any kind seen in the restaurant. I will not order if I see something soon enough, if I see a vermin creature after ordering, I will leave at that point, informing the staff and, not paying - hopefully before eating anything prepared there.

5. Closed kitchen where I cannot see the food being prepared - too great a chance of the kitchen staff putting unwanted "additives" in my food. Again if I cannot see into the kitchen, I will not eat there.

My favorite places are sushi bars, open pit BBQs and, Tepanyaki grills. Mongolian grills are usually good too, and you can see them cooking but, I'm not always in the mood to select my own ingredients, which you do have to do most of the time at Mongolian grills.

I don't like it when it's crowded, too loud, the music, sometimes the lighting, sometimes the food choices (I don't like a lot of flavor, there's only a few things I like to eat) and if I can hear the employees' personal conversations from where I'm sitting, especially when they are vulgar, then I just simply won't eat there again.

I go to smaller restaurants because the sound in big chains overwhelms me and they usually have smaller menus. I hate wasting food, so that's what bothers me most when my food comes out wrong to the point where I can't tolerate eating it. Equally unnerving when I mess something up badly at home though.

From time to time we all have to venture out for food with other people or on your own. Sometimes we might enjoy doing this. Anyway, I'm interested in what you find annoying when you go out for something to eat? It could be to do with absolutely anything. The staff; the people surrounding you; the people or person you're with; the place itself; the menus; toilets.....Anything at all please share!

I will only share one with you all. I hate it when I'm asked if everything is ok with my meal whilst I'm eating it. Usually my mouth is full when asked so feels very awkward. I would prefer to give my feedback at the end of a meal and if I didn't like something I would complain at the same moment. I feel it would be much more practical if they just asked if I would like anything else not is everything ok with my meal. If I didn't like the meal then me responding with "No it tastes like cardboard" would probably stun the waiting staff. Anyway, that's me lol! I've probably only been to one or two places that have got the hospitality just right for me. Serve great food and give great service and provide a great experience then you can ask me how everything is no problem at all!!!!
I hate the fact that they come up to you and ask you at all. I just want to be left alone while eating.

I don't like it when waiters are hovering round your table like vultures waiting to grab your plate as soon as you put your fork down. Sometimes they take it when i haven't even finished eating yet.

I don't like it when I choose something from the menu, and they then tell you that they are out of it. Grrr, I hate that.

I don't like the kind of crappy music they usually have, and it's always too loud.

I don't like the sound of clattering plates and cutlery, or squeeking doors opening and closing. I don't like small children crying or shouting either.

And my number 1 hate is people smoking. I can't stand this. Here, people smoke in restaurants and that's totally wrong.

You are famous?

Oh, I don't know, nearly 30 years of performing stadium concerts, 42 currently copyrighted songs, performed by various artists, six platinum albums. If that makes me famous then, I suppose I am. (Yes I'm being facetious here and trying to get you to chuckle - I am fairly well known, I took a break from performing for a few years but, I'll be doing a comeback this year.)

I don't like restaurants when it loud. Some examples can be when at lot of people watching a sports game and cheering. I also don't like seeing people that a drinking and not behaving properly. Then there those times people sing happy birthday. I find it supper annoying. I don't know why people like the Happy Birthday song so much? Just keep it simply and say Happy Birthday instead of saying a stupid song about it.

Ideally, I would prefer a restaurant with the least amount of noise possible.

Oh, I don't know, nearly 30 years of performing stadium concerts, 42 currently copyrighted songs, performed by various artists, six platinum albums. If that makes me famous then, I suppose I am. (Yes I'm being facetious here and trying to get you to chuckle - I am fairly well known, I took a break from performing for a few years but, I'll be doing a comeback this year.)
I'm not understanding, is what you said true or an exaggeration? You said you're being facetious so I'm not sure what about.

unsurewhattoname yes it's true. I was trying to make light of my professional accolades and achievements because I detest boasting and, I' don't want to be put on a pedestal here. Aspie Central is one of the few online places I remain more or less anonymous and, can speak freely without having to censor my words. it is also the only place I can discus my Aspie related challenges with others on the spectrum as well as friends and family members of those on the spectrum.

I am working on coming out publicly as an Aspie but, that hasn't happened yet. I've got to make this comeback a success, my non profit project that will benefit ASD depends on me, and the rest of my band having the publicity and, the income we can generate to make it work.

I haven't been to a restaurant in months. I can hear the conversation of people at the next table. I don't like the rush. I don't like the music. I don't like sitting in booths, only tables. Sometimes the lighting bothers me too. I like take-out.
Exactly it's a better experience when drunk lol!

Too loud, sometimes too bright. I like the food. Staff tend to be people I went to school with (small town) so I do find that awkward. Sound is the biggest issue. Also have to walk quite a bit which can be annoying. Like a minimum of 1km to the train station, or 3km to places nearer to where I live. Do enjoy though, other than sound.
Ah walking is great if it's nice

There's two things annoy me about restaurant toilets and indeed public toilets in general. One is hand dryers; they never work, it's only the dyson airblades that actually work as they should. The other thing is people who don't wash their hands when in the toilet; I see you going to the toilet and walking out, don't think I don't know! I wash my hands like a normal person but now I have to touch that door handle which you just placed your penis-fresh grubby mitts on!

The amount of sound in a restaurant can be a bit annoying too, my ears seem more interested in the parts of conversations from other tables than the one I mostly hear at mine. I lose the ability to tune out conversations from other people, it can be quite annoying.
Haha sounds familiar! I hate it when there's one toilet in a bistro or somewhere and you see the uncomfortable passing of strangers going in and out, especially when someone has been in the toilet a little bit too long........I prefer to wait till I'm home! However when you're drinking then holding is an issue so top tip is to use toilet paper to cover your hand to open the toilet door and then your ski doesn't have to touch their germ riddled handles lol!

I dine out quite often and, I have several annoyances when dinning out.

1. Food delivered to me that either is not what I ordered or, that is not prepared properly. I will send it back, and ask to speak with the chef in both cases.

2. Wait staff catering to me before other customers that were seated before I was, simply because of who I am. It isn't right. Whomever was seated first should be served first, but that is rarely the case when a high profile customer dines at a restaurant.

3. Wait staff paying me extra attention, especially when I'm dining with not so well known companions and, they are all but ignore because I am at the table. I will call the staff out on that one. I am no more deserving of the services of the wait staff than anyone else who dines there, especially if they are my companions for the meal.

4. Screaming or crying children not being hushed quickly or removed from the restaurant. If your child cannot behave properly and, quietly for the duration of the meal, you should not have brought them to the restaurant in the first place. If it is a rare outburst, you, as the parent or guardian for the meal should either be able to clam the child quickly, or have the courtesy to remove the child from the restaurant so that they do not disrupt the meal for other customers.

4. Vermin of any kind seen in the restaurant. I will not order if I see something soon enough, if I see a vermin creature after ordering, I will leave at that point, informing the staff and, not paying - hopefully before eating anything prepared there.

5. Closed kitchen where I cannot see the food being prepared - too great a chance of the kitchen staff putting unwanted "additives" in my food. Again if I cannot see into the kitchen, I will not eat there.

My favorite places are sushi bars, open pit BBQs and, Tepanyaki grills. Mongolian grills are usually good too, and you can see them cooking but, I'm not always in the mood to select my own ingredients, which you do have to do most of the time at Mongolian grills.
My mouth is watering at the sound of your favourite cuisines!!! Hopefully the UK will catch up with the choice that you have but it's getting better!☺️

I don't like it when it's crowded, too loud, the music, sometimes the lighting, sometimes the food choices (I don't like a lot of flavor, there's only a few things I like to eat) and if I can hear the employees' personal conversations from where I'm sitting, especially when they are vulgar, then I just simply won't eat there again.
Yes it's so cringey hearing workers' conversations but sometimes amusing unless I'm paying the bill

I go to smaller restaurants because the sound in big chains overwhelms me and they usually have smaller menus. I hate wasting food, so that's what bothers me most when my food comes out wrong to the point where I can't tolerate eating it. Equally unnerving when I mess something up badly at home though.
The big chains offer poor quality. The smaller independent places are the best choice I agree!

New Threads

Top Bottom