• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating disorders and ASD

sisselcakes

V.I.P Member
I just wanted to share this because I thought it was interesting.

I just broke up with my (suspected) ASD boyfriend. He doesn't understand that he cannot monitor and critique my exercise and eating habits. The last straw was when he told me I had fat rolls. I broke up with him.

For some time I've suspected he has an eating disorder because his thoughts and behaviors around food are irrational and rigid.

I was perusing a website and found this. Wondering if anyone else has experienced being on the spectrum and suffering from an eating disorder. Also interested in general comments if anyone has any thoughts.

https://spectrumnews.org/features/deep-dive/the-invisible-link-between-autism-and-anorexia/

I was scanning the index page and for a second read the title as Eating dinosaurs and ASD. :eek:

Whether he has one or not it sounds like with his mindset he could easily develop one, if he's prone to depression or if he's self-conscious or such. I've heard that there are eating disorders - think anorexia, for example - and then there is also, supposedly, disordered eating. Disordered eating would be like, for example, my mom taking laxatives while dieting and exercising normally and nowadays, despite not dieting anymore, refusing to eat dinner most days insisting it will only promote weight gain. Its not a full blown eating disorder, but simply an unhealthy relationship with food that doesn't appear to meet the guidelines for a standard, known eating disorder. According to google anyways.

Thank you for sharing! You said it best. "An unhealthy relationship with food". Whether it is a legitimately diagnosable disorder or not it can still have dire consequences on your life and relationships.

I'm on the spectrum and I've struggled with food all my life. It's mostly revolved around sensory things, so I'm not sure if it's considered an eating disorder or just part of autism. Like if the texture is "wrong" the food is disgusting no matter how good it might taste.

And I've noticed that my eating goes with how well I feel each day. If I'm more anxious or exhausted there are only few "safe foods" I can eat, and they usually are the notsogoodforyou -kind. And if I'm really upset I've notices sugary stuff and nice texture in food helps. And then the eating itself needs to be done in certain ways. And if not all my requirements aren't met I sometimes rather skip a meal than struggle to get it right.

I've been struggling with an eating disorder (anorexia) for the last 10 years already. I only got help since last year and right now I'm in recovery. it's very-very difficult for me now to make the difference between eating disorder habits and just me being on the spectrum. for example, I feel I'm literally obsessed with certain foods to the point where I can't imagine even a day not eating those foods. I'm also very strict about general eating "rules". Like I always must eat the same breakfast, my snacks must always contain a fruit, my dinner must always contain beets etc... I know that those habits initially formed because of anorexia.. because I wanted to a)boost my metabolism to lose weight and b)feel lighter by eating veggies/fruits. But now, despite my intention is not to lose weight anymore, those habits have remained and I feel terrified to change them. I think it might be because of asd.
Recovery for me is going something like "I can eat whatever amount of calories in total but just let me eat my safe foods first." It's like I can fix my ed (that is, I make peace with my body and won't lose weight), but I can't fix my asd (that is, strict eating habits), but unfortunately they look pretty similar outside, because for most people, losing weight=strict eating habits. So I never know when I'm officially recovered from ed, because my eating won't ever be like NT kind of "normal"...

New Threads

Top Bottom