• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Easy designing tool?

Aneka

I have no idea about digital arts, but I'm interested in learning. For now I intend to create art similar like the thumbnail at the bottom of my post.

I only have gimp on my laptop and it's so confusing.
I'm decent in traditional arts.

I've been thinking about scanning drawings and paintings because right now I'm unable to create anything digitally.

Do you know of any programs and tutorials you could recommend?

Screenshot_20200403-142332.png

My experience was that all decent bitmap and vector programs essentially have a steep learning curve. That if you are a serious artist, then stick with serious software. My advice would be to stick with GIMP and follow their tutorials until you achieve a better level of proficiency with it. GIMP is probably the best freeware bitmap graphics program you can download.

GIMP - Tutorials

Though when I started working with such software some 31 years ago, there was no such thing as freeware, let alone quality bitmap graphics programs like GIMP.

I've been a consummate user of a full version of Photoshop since about 1998. A program with a brutally steep learning curve. Before that I used Corel Photo Paint 3.0. Paid some serious coin for that software as well. Though if you're having trouble following GIMP, you don't want to be messing with Photoshop, an industry standard.

I wish I had the opportunity to start with a program like GIMP, that didn't cost a thing. Corel Draw and Photoshop....whew, they were quite expen$ive. While I no longer do any website design, I still use Photoshop to edit all the digital photos I take using my Canon SLR as well as restoring old photos.

Heavily Photoshopped Image:

Sample.jpg

Last edited:
If you are a serious artist, then stick with serious software. My advice would be to stick with GIMP and follow their tutorials until you achieve a better level of proficiency with it. GIMP is probably the best freeware bitmap graphics program you can download.

GIMP - Tutorials

My experience was that all decent bitmap and vector programs essentially have a steep learning curve. Though when I started working with such software some 31 years ago, there was no such thing as freeware, let alone quality bitmap graphics programs like GIMP.

I've been a consummate user of a full version of Photoshop since about 1998. A program with a brutally steep learning curve. Before that I used Corel Photo Paint 3.0. Paid some serious coin for that software as well. Though if you're having trouble following GIMP, you don't want to be messing with Photoshop, an industry standard.

I wish I had the opportunity to start with a program like GIMP, that didn't cost a thing. Corel Draw and Photoshop....whew, they were quite expen$ive. While I no longer do any website design, I still use Photoshop to edit all the digital photos I take using my Canon SLR as well as photo restoration.

Heavily Photoshopped Image:

View attachment 61370

I need to learn the basics first. I never did something like this before. I'm just someone who is interested. You know it's a step by step process. You can learn anything if you want. I downloaded Gimp and the interface is confusing me right now.

I need to learn the basics first. I never did something like this before. I'm just someone who is interested. You know it's a step by step process. You can learn anything if you want. I downloaded Gimp and the interface is confusing me right now.

Me too. I was never an artist per se. Just someone interested in computer graphics and website design.

You want to know the real basics of raster graphics? Most programs will focus on how to use their software rather than the actual basics of raster/bitmap graphics. For that you're better off reading about them independently of any one program. Where learning those real basics first may give you better insight in how to use a program like GIMP.

One thing for sure, in my own case I didn't learn about the basics or how to use any one particular program in a methodical way. For me it was usually a haphazard process at best. :oops:

Introduction to Raster Graphics - Platt College San Diego

Raster Graphics - What Are They, Common Formats, and When to Use Them

https://web.nmsu.edu/~cahepf-d/help/documents/planning/ePortfolio_cg_basics.pdf

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom